Reports and Behavior on the Forum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Reports and Behavior on the Forum

Post by Hobie »

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

I debated posting this in the topic which sort of finalized my opinion but decided not to. I want this to stand alone.

I will say this again. Plain speaking, as most folks I have known in my life do when they have real experience be it in farming, hunting, manufacturing, etc., is not insulting but some folks today take it to be insulting. Why they do so is simply beyond me. Reporting such plain speaking to me as not being in the spirit of this forum is not going to go anywhere.

To be blunt, the forum is intended for the discussion of lever-action firearms. From the earliest the subject matter has been broader than that. The main request is that one be polite. So, we don't use certain language and we don't make personal attacks. I have been struck by the number of people here who think that THEY are the arbiters of what is good and acceptable. I suggest that if you feel that you are so qualified you apply to Paul for a position as moderator.

Every time we see a report (the little exclamation icon Image) we (I at least) re-read the entire topic to see what I "must" have missed. 99.9% of the time it is clear that somebody has not done so and can't follow the conversation OR has mis-read something and can't or won't back down from their too quickly posted reaction. So we have these tiffs.

I'm going to make a new suggestion... Each and every one of us is going to die some day. Perhaps you don't care about how God will see you (sees you) but maybe you care about how your family and friends see you. Reconsider your post one or two times when reacting to somebody is speaking "plainly". Be certain that you have a reason to feel "insulted"/"offended". We don't know how much time we have here and I'd rather spend it on something I enjoy than trying to break-up a dog fight. All the rest of our time will be spent on the other time of "the veil" and I suggest that forum members think about that as well.

Remember, we each see things differently and have different experiences. That is really THE reason for forums such as this one. Instead of being insulted/offended, LEARN from what you read here. Learning is, I hope, why you are here in the first place.

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sincerely,

Hobie

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reports and Behavior on the Forum

Post by Pitchy »

I`ll be first to say that if i said anything to hurt feelings my sincere apologies.
People have different ways of saying things that are taken differently sometimes by some that arn`t meant in a negative way.
Great board as far as i can see. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Me too Pitchy!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

we'll all probably live longer if things don't skin our teeth.

a problem on the internet is you always read with your personal inflections and emotions, no matter how it was written.

After all that, this is one of the most polite boards on the internet, and it's why I come back. It's why we have an international group.
Regional diversity is valued here. Some places, you run into an "us four and no more" mentality.

Hobie, thanks for the good job you do.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Thank You HOBIE for reminding us about the original intent of this forum. I for one have learned a great deal from many of you, especially the "senior levergun" individuals on this forum. I enjoy reading the varied opinions, discussion, light humor, some bantering, ancient levergun history, cartridge history, concerns, and issues--you guys are the best... :)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Thanks for the reminder Hobie. Sometimes we all get upset when someone fails to see things our way, but that happens in everyday life. I like this forum, and I have learned a lot here. Please don't change anything. Besides, some of the people who truly speak from lots and lots of experience on here are the ones who I have learned the most from. They remind me of people I have known in the past who have stopped me from making dangerous mistakes. Like the Professor who stopped me from making Nitroglycerin in the Chemistry Lab, he didn't need to yell or even threaten my grade. I was just seeing if I could do it, and he knew enough to stop me with a few very pointed questions. The first one was "how do you think you are going to transport it to wherever you are going with that?" and the next was "are you aware that big noises like that are usually followed by a visid from a Sherriff"? I was planning on helping a friend blow some stumps on his Dad's farm, and hadn't thought the rest through well. Someone with more experience would have just dug around the stumps with the front end loader on the tractor, then cut the roots with a chain saw, moved the stump, and filled in the hole. Point is, without someone speaking plainly and making me think about something that I hadn't noticed, I might have injured myself severely. Whether we like it or not, sometimes we need those with more experience around.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good advice and will take heed! :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Amen, Hobie...............................

I apologize, if I occasionally have been "short" with someone here.

I can assure that it was unintended, and that it sometimes happens when I'm pre-occupied with another subject - call it "senioritis", or "idiosisity".

Usually, however, if I REALLY disagree, I simply don't reply............. (even a fish won't get in trouble, IF........................ ;) )

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Every time I see a post like this, I get introspective.
Am I guilty?
Did I do somthing unseemly?
I hope not.
If I did, I am regretful.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

bulldog1935 wrote:we'll all probably live longer if things don't skin our teeth.

a problem on the internet is you always read with your personal inflections and emotions, no matter how it was written.

After all that, this is one of the most polite boards on the internet, and it's why I come back. It's why we have an international group.
Regional diversity is valued here. Some places, you run into an "us four and no more" mentality.

Hobie, thanks for the good job you do.
That is absolutely correct.

Also, thanks for the thanks but really, it is unnecessary. I volunteered. It is all my fault. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mescalero wrote:Every time I see a post like this, I get introspective.
Am I guilty?
Did I do something unseemly?
I hope not.
I can't remember any instance, in all the years you've been here, of you EVER doing anything disrespectful.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:Amen, Hobie...............................

I apologize, if I occasionally have been "short" with someone here.

I can assure that it was unintended, and that it sometimes happens when I'm pre-occupied with another subject - call it "senioritis", or "idiosisity".

Usually, however, if I REALLY disagree, I simply don't reply............. (even a fish won't get in trouble, IF........................ ;) )

I think that some of us take what little free time we might have to be here and rush our posts. I know I do sometimes. So, sometimes my post doesn't read as I would have liked it to and it sometimes seems as if I'm being "short" with someone.
Sincerely,

Hobie

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Timely commentary. I was dismayed at one of the recent exchanges because I just did not see what the fuss was all about.

Far from perfect myself, hope I haven't offended anyone.

You folks have a great day,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mescalero wrote:Every time I see a post like this, I get introspective. Am I guilty? Did I do somthing unseemly? I hope not. If I did, I am regretful.
I tend to think the same way. I try to be 'reasonable', but sometimes when we step out of the gun-shop to have a smoke out back, and start talking 'politics', I can be very opinionated... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hobie wrote:
To be blunt, the forum is intended for the discussion of lever-action firearms. From the earliest the subject matter has been broader than that.
Hobie, I recall a time when you would be hard pressed to find a non lever discussion here, and they almost always had OT as the first letters of the title. Thanks for keeping the place peaceable. I can go to lots of other free-for-all sites, but it's nice coming here to relax and talk serious, I'll try to remember that and to mind my own manners when I'm here.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Hobie, thanks for the occasional reminder. Sorry that you have to do it.I think about the old quote "WWJD", what does HE think of my thoughts and action at certain times here and in life everyday.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hobie

I wont call for a cease fire again :(
and Im not applying for a moderator position, you do a fine job

A sorry ollogger
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thank you Hobie,
I try to mind my maners.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
Mescalero wrote:Every time I see a post like this, I get introspective. Am I guilty? Did I do somthing unseemly? I hope not. If I did, I am regretful.
I tend to think the same way. I try to be 'reasonable', but sometimes when we step out of the gun-shop to have a smoke out back, and start talking 'politics', I can be very opinionated... :oops:
That's the section that tends to get me in trouble as well... :oops:
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

hear , hear.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I guess it could have been me. I probably called out another member when it is not my place to do so. If it was me who was wrong, admonishment taken. I am civil here, as I am in person. I don't say anything here that I wouldn't say to someone's face. If it was my comment that you are referring to, I regret that and will be vigilant to keep this forum civil, at least from my end.

Kevin
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Mescalero wrote:Every time I see a post like this, I get introspective.
Am I guilty?
Did I do somthing unseemly?
I hope not.
+1
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Hobie, very very well and beautifully put. thank you for that, and for your always helpful, constructive contributions, and well, just for all that you do. this forum would be sorely lacking if you were to leave us.
thanks!!!
cable
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

Amen Hobie!

My sainted mother always says that getting offended is a choice. And it's always better to make the conscious decision to NOT become offended. Our whole modern society needs this lesson badly!

This is a fine forum!
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

This is by far the best forum going IMHO. Lets keep it that way. Thanks Hobie for all you do. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

An extremely well thought out reminder. Thanks Sam
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

This forum is like my second home and all of you are extended family. Sometimes we have differences of opinion and talk gets plain like Hobie said. But as far as I can remember, none of you have ever hurt my fellings and I hope the reverse is true. Heck, there is no other forum like this one as far as I know. I really enjoy it here.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

differences of opinion are also something that should be valued - that is what makes discussion
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks Hobie.

This place in this day and age is like a breath of fresh air. Good men on here and long may it last :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bulldog1935 wrote:differences of opinion are also something that should be valued - that is what makes discussion
Yup :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Some folks are just natural born whiners and have their "sensitivity meter" set way too low. Like Hobie says, pay attention and read every word. If you are offended by content here it's your own fault. I'm pretty thick skinned and have not ever read anything that even remotely be considered offensive.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Thanks Hobie.

But more to the nuts and bolts of things, some notions I have.

When posting facts as you know them, either be sure or be ready to take a hit when called by those who are.

When posting OPINIONS (see a dictionary if you confuse these with facts) or beliefs (strongly held opinions are all they are. Beliefs are NOT facts), be prepared to "share the road" with those who differ.

When reading ANY of the above, take a breath before challenging, and if you do challenge, challenge the words on the page, not the man who wrote them.

As for me, I can be humorous (or fail in the attempt), sarcastic, or just plain TIRED and post what I see as a correction of a FACT or a difference of opinion without remembering that some folks are wed real tight to their words and get hurt easily. I pay far more attention to what was written than I do to who wrote it. In most cases I don't remember who wrote what, but will try to follow the facts or arguments.

But in the end, especially when tossing around facts and ideas regarding lethal weapons and ammunition, I think it is far more important the record be correct than somebody's ego not be bruised. In other words, be men about it.
Certified gun nut
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've been a way for awhile and really must of missed something. I seriously try not to offend someone, especially here. This place is like family, I just don't get to see any of them. I too apologize if I've ever offended anyone, it wasn't my intent. Hobie, you do an excellent job and I wouldn't ever want to take your place. The reason I stay here is because of the low level of egos getting out of hand. This is my internet home and hopefully I will always remember to treat it as such.
Old Law Dawg
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've been a way for awhile and really must of missed something. I seriously try not to offend someone, especially here. This place is like family, I just don't get to see any of them. I too apologize if I've ever offended anyone, it wasn't my intent. Hobie, you do an excellent job and I wouldn't ever want to take your place. The reason I stay here is because of the low level of egos getting out of hand. This is my internet home and hopefully I will always remember to treat it as such.
Old Law Dawg
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

redhawk wrote:This forum is like my second home and all of you are extended family. Sometimes we have differences of opinion and talk gets plain like Hobie said. But as far as I can remember, none of you have ever hurt my fellings and I hope the reverse is true. Heck, there is no other forum like this one as far as I know. I really enjoy it here.
Second that - I don't think I've offended but, if I did, it was certainly unintentional. Properly said, I think different opinions properly stated are good - if we all liked the same thing, we might all be driving Yugos - and lack of competition would price them out of range for many of us - :roll:

Basically, I think we're all the same "religion" -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OK, what's going on here with all the non offenders apologizing - knock it off. :D Saw a little dealing going on a while back about who was right and wrong about something - 45 Colt pressures I think. Was there something else?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Just to add, nobody seems to mind a thin skinned person when they`er getting prayer from them.
That`s not directed at anyone, just saying there is nothing wrong with being sensitive either.
I know a lot of tough son -of-a -guns that are like teddy bears until pushed to far.
The golden rule boys the golden rule, treat everyone like you`d like to be treated. :)
God Bless
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Pitchy wrote:Just to add, nobody seems to mind a thin skinned person when they`er getting prayer from them.
That`s not directed at anyone, just saying there is nothing wrong with being sensitive either.
I know a lot of tough son -of-a -guns that are like teddy bears until pushed to far.
The golden rule boys the golden rule, treat everyone like you`d like to be treated. :)
God Bless

Amen Pitchy. Would be a pretty boring existence if everyone was the same and agreed all the time.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kimwcook wrote:I've been a way for awhile and really must of missed something.
Doesn't that just SUCK when you miss the good stuff....!!!??? :lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Been following this post for a bit. Was not going to say anything about it as I have not observed anyone getting "huffy" with another. but then again I don't read every post here. Perhaps I missed something, but I believe, feel, etc, that this is quite a civil forum and cannot compare to some I've seen that were not.

I encountered an admin. person on another forum that did not like my avatar I had. It was the crest for my old Reg., the 75th Rangers. He took offense to it. I was proud to be a Ranger and served with pride for many years. The admin. person and I got into a long drawn out discussion over this, and in the end I simply asked him to remove all my data, posts, and membership from HIS forum since HE alone took offense to a veteran. This same forum attacked my little brother over using a BP sub. powder in a 45-70 and gave him such grief that he too left that forum. So many semi-big fish in a little pond there that though that they were the only ones that counted.

That said, again, I have not seen where any of us here have attacked another. I truely enjoy comming here and have found many folks that are a genuine breath of fresh air to the enjoyment of our chosen sport and choice of firearms, Leverguns! Hobie does an outstanding job of keeping things going here and he should be commended since, as he so well put it, he volunteered to do this and that in itself speaks volumes on his personal convictions to help us all here.

Again, I have not seen here where another was speaking out that could be taken as being offensive. And often plain speach can be far more informative than several paragraphs of repetitive opinions filled with space choaking pictures showing off that person's gun collection rather than addressing the question from the person that made the post. Fortunately we have no such individual here that will flood us with this ego driven need to show off his personal gun collection rather than aid another with a levergun issue. Most all will give personal time invested in the issue that they have encountered with an issue or weapon and give that experience to the one that posted the question. We learn from one another.

October of 2010 I was a fairly new member here. I went down with a heart attack. Joe Miller, one of our best, kept in constant contact with me as I was in the hospital and had my little notebook computer to join in on this forum. Joe would check on me daily and he was vital in keeping my spirits up. THIS IS an example of how we here are to behave. Pitchy and others are cut of the same bolt. We have a great forum here. Now I'm getting off my soapbox and going back to my coffee and getting ready to fight with my Browning 92 as it is a mess. I may be long winded at times and don't make many posts, but I too, speak plainly when it comes to safety and personal beliefs.

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ranger wrote:Been following this post for a bit. Was not going to say anything about it as I have not observed anyone getting "huffy" with another. but then again I don't read every post here. Perhaps I missed something, but I believe, feel, etc, that this is quite a civil forum and cannot compare to some I've seen that were not.

I encountered an admin. person on another forum that did not like my avatar I had. It was the crest for my old Reg., the 75th Rangers. He took offense to it. I was proud to be a Ranger and served with pride for many years. The admin. person and I got into a long drawn out discussion over this, and in the end I simply asked him to remove all my data, posts, and membership from HIS forum since HE alone took offense to a veteran. This same forum attacked my little brother over using a BP sub. powder in a 45-70 and gave him such grief that he too left that forum. So many semi-big fish in a little pond there that though that they were the only ones that counted.

That said, again, I have not seen where any of us here have attacked another. I truely enjoy comming here and have found many folks that are a genuine breath of fresh air to the enjoyment of our chosen sport and choice of firearms, Leverguns! Hobie does an outstanding job of keeping things going here and he should be commended since, as he so well put it, he volunteered to do this and that in itself speaks volumes on his personal convictions to help us all here.

Again, I have not seen here where another was speaking out that could be taken as being offensive. And often plain speach can be far more informative than several paragraphs of repetitive opinions filled with space choaking pictures showing off that person's gun collection rather than addressing the question from the person that made the post. Fortunately we have no such individual here that will flood us with this ego driven need to show off his personal gun collection rather than aid another with a levergun issue. Most all will give personal time invested in the issue that they have encountered with an issue or weapon and give that experience to the one that posted the question. We learn from one another.

October of 2010 I was a fairly new member here. I went down with a heart attack. Joe Miller, one of our best, kept in constant contact with me as I was in the hospital and had my little notebook computer to join in on this forum. Joe would check on me daily and he was vital in keeping my spirits up. THIS IS an example of how we here are to behave. Pitchy and others are cut of the same bolt. We have a great forum here. Now I'm getting off my soapbox and going back to my coffee and getting ready to fight with my Browning 92 as it is a mess. I may be long winded at times and don't make many posts, but I too, speak plainly when it comes to safety and personal beliefs.

Wade
Wade, why not put up your old Crest here?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

BlaineG,

I would, but I don't know how to make it fit!! I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers stuff....now I can rebuild and repair most firearms out there as I was trained to and was in the business for years. But computers? Poofff!!! I'm lost in under 60 seconds! :lol:

Wade
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ranger wrote:BlaineG,

I would, but I don't know how to make it fit!! I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers stuff....now I can rebuild and repair most firearms out there as I was trained to and was in the business for years. But computers? Poofff!!! I'm lost in under 60 seconds! :lol:

Wade
Put it up here, and I think photo bucket can resize it ....I'll give it a shot, anyway. If I can't, just about everyone here knows more about it than I do. :)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Politics and RELIGION . No doubt about it ruins, at least for me, these gun boards. Even if you leave the posts in their respective forums you still form an opinion of the poster,accurate or not. It then carries to to the general discussions. Biggest eye opener is that gun owners and supporters of the second amendment come in all colors ,sexes ,city rural and more. Folks have to remember their way is not the only way.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

I doooed it! See, this is what I'm talking about with others helping each other. BlaineG, you gave me an idea on shrinking it in the program and it worked. I don't know a photo bucket from a galvanized one, but you gave me the idea with the shrinking it down. Thanks:lol: Now I can show my "colors" again! :D The Old Ranger is happy....Hoooah!!

Wade
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ranger wrote:I doooed it! See, this is what I'm talking about with others helping each other. BlaineG, you gave me an idea on shrinking it in the program and it worked. I don't know a photo bucket from a galvanized one, but you gave me the idea with the shrinking it down. Thanks:lol: Now I can show my "colors" again! :D The Old Ranger is happy....Hoooah!!

Wade
THAT is outstanding, Troop!!

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:
Old Ranger wrote:I doooed it! See, this is what I'm talking about with others helping each other. BlaineG, you gave me an idea on shrinking it in the program and it worked. I don't know a photo bucket from a galvanized one, but you gave me the idea with the shrinking it down. Thanks:lol: Now I can show my "colors" again! :D The Old Ranger is happy....Hoooah!!

Wade
THAT is outstanding, Troop!!
+1 ... in the end you guys are the best... :)