Ruger's "New" SP101 22: 8 Shots, and it's a hit!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger's "New" SP101 22: 8 Shots, and it's a hit!

Post by Old No7 »

OK, I'll admit it...

When I first saw the posts of this "newly designed" SP101 .22 LR on this site many months ago,I looked at the "overly tall" front sight and skinnier barrel (than the original 22 SP) and said "Ugh, I think I'll pass...". That was until I handled one up close.

And then I made the mistake of handling another one... And then yet again... :o

Well, it finally grew on me, and one followed me home one day to play! So far, it's been a very accurate shooter, especially since I updated the rear sight blade. But I have to say, this was the roughest Ruger DA revolver that I have ever handled. It took some careful polishing to make this baby match all of my other Ruger's. Nope, they are not S&Ws and you "really shouldn't have to" do all the extra work to try and make it like a S&W trigger. True... But if you do go to the trouble to smooth it up, it will help improve the feel and trigger pull and mine is perfectly acceptable now for a woods gun.

Jeff Quinn wrote a Most Excellent Review of the New SP101-22 on that imbedded link over on GunBlast, so there's no sense repeating all the verbiage here. But I've added a few pix with descriptions for those who may be interested in one of these. I used to have one of the original 4" heavy-barreled 22 SP101s, so I'm in a good spot to compare the two designs. (I had sold that one off to a member here a couple of years ago when I upgraded to a 32 H&R Magnum SP; and then when I contacted him late last fall to see if he'd sell it -- too late, he already had...)

Here's the side profile of the new 22 SP101, wearing the Elk Stag grip inserts from Sack Peterson (see another post on those for his website):
New SP101 22 - Profile (Medium).jpg
And yes, she's an 8-shooter now!
New SP101 22 - 8-shot (Medium).jpg
These next 2 pix will really show you how the "old" (original) versus "new" SPs look. That's my 32 Mag with the heavy barrel, but the older 22 was the same dimensions (except where it counted).
New vs Old SP101 - Profile (Medium).jpg
New vs Old SP101 - Barrels (Medium).jpg
One of the regular criticisms of many Ruger products is the infamous "Ruger Billboard", as they call it, where the warning notice is plastered prominently on the barrel -- usually in a very visible spot too! On this newer model, they wisely reduced the font and put it on the bottom of the barrel...
New SP101 Warning (Medium).jpg
The hammer spur of the new (on left) is curved and less aggressive to grip, as compared to the flat and sharp original spur. You can also see the small windage & elevation adjustable sight on the 22, compared to the windage-only blade of the 32 (and original 22). That adjustable sight is a great improvement!
New vs Old SP101 - Hammer Spur (Medium).jpg
Here you will see I drilled 2 holes in the rear blade, then filled them with some French White (???) nail polish from my wife's stuff and sealed it with super glue. This has been a helpful improvement, for my eyes anyway.
New SP101 - 3-Dot Sights (Medium).jpg
Ruger also made the hammer weigh less by casting it with less metal/weight, and it is even more "skeletonized" than this pix shows when it's removed from the action. Maybe that helps improve the lock time, but it's tough to tell...
New vs Old SP101 - Hammer Weight (Medium).jpg
Well, that's it. I didn't really "need" another 22 handgun, but here again (funny how this happens), "want" showed up and got his way! Can't say I'm too sorry about that though... She's a great l'il shooter and now I like the "new" design better than the original I'd had years before.

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger's "New" SP101 22: 8 Shots, and it's a hit!

Post by olyinaz »

Very nice and practical. I hope it's a hit for Ruger as well!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have yet to handle one of these, can't seem to find anyone who has one. But I like the single ten and really like to handle the sp101. I don't have a 22 revolver and it's toward the top of the short list.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BenT wrote:I have yet to handle one of these, can't seem to find anyone who has one. But I like the single ten and really like to handle the sp101. I don't have a 22 revolver and it's toward the top of the short list.
+1
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

No. 7: What ammo is your gun fondest of so far?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for the report - those DO look like one of the nicest little 'kit' guns one could have...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Those are nice looking revolvers. I've been trying decide between the SP and the Single Ten.

Nice to see a good review by someone who just got one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:"No. 7: What ammo is your gun fondest of so far?"
Sorry Bill, haven't gotten to that just yet. Shot it again today with whatever 22s were handy.

As it was 20 degrees out with 20+ mile an hour winds, I was just happy (or crazy?) to be shooting at all! Serious target work to finalize ammo selection will have to wait until spring -- which could be June in Maine... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I just wish it was a .22/.22M convertible...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good lookin' Ruger. Make sure to tell us how it does at the range.
Old Law Dawg
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nice !! I have had one on order at my local dealer for months. :x
Wholesale Sports has them but I want my friend and fellow club member to get the sale. I can wait. :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: As it was 20 degrees out with 20+ mile an hour winds, I was just happy (or crazy?) to be shooting at all! Serious target work to finalize ammo selection will have to wait until spring -- which could be June in Maine... :wink:

Old No7
Figured that was "shorts" weather for you! :wink:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

thank you for the post--looked at one...thought about it...tempted...but way too attached to my Single-Six's to trade..i've decide to let others enjoy... :)
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

I'd sure like to see that in a 5-inch .32 H&R. What a nice woods bumming gun that would be.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BenT wrote:I have yet to handle one of these, can't seem to find anyone who has one. But I like the single ten and really like to handle the sp101. I don't have a 22 revolver and it's toward the top of the short list.
I handled a Single-10 It felt pretty nice, sights weren't near as bad as clamed to be on the Net. Trigger pull was around 4.5lbs. At $485 I really didnt want another 22 pistol that bad
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Remington40x wrote:I'd sure like to see that in a 5-inch .32 H&R. What a nice woods bumming gun that would be.
Your reading my mind.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Cabelas is asking $599 for the SP101 .22 :shock:
Makes it hard to pass up the Single Six at those prices. :wink:
As soon as they become more available the price will drop.
Just try to find a Ruger SR 1911 around here. They have been out for several months now and my dealer has seen a total of "ONE" !! :x
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

I'm wanting one of the .38/.357 versions, but I wish they had the barrel profile of the .22 version.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If Ruger would find a way to make an interchangeable cylinder for them in .22 Magnum, then I would be more interested.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Trig,
You'll be in line BEHIND me. :)
I'm liking the full-lugged 4-inch .357 SP more than I thought I would, but I'm still lobbying for the half-lugged version.
Denis
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

With my new job I'm actually in the market for a 6+ .22 snubby that will be both less rusting (pot metal or Stainless) and CHEAP (because I work in a canal) as a tool to shoot burrowing critters & snakes.

While the SP101 ain't CHEAP, it's certainly everything else I need in a "ditch gun".

(FWIW... If anyone has a functional CHEAP pot-metal/stainless .22 snubby that is gathering dust... let me know...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!