Colt SAA caliber question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
toby
Levergunner

Colt SAA caliber question

Post by toby »

I know, not a lever gun question. But I'm sure somebody would know the answer. My dad owns a 1898? Colt SAA, serial number 178xxx, black gutta percha grips, fairly decent blueing, with about a (guessing about) 6" barrel. He says it is marked .38 Special on the barrel. Is that possible? Could he be mistaken, because didn't .38 special come out about 1930 and have a different rim size? Could it have been rebarreled from .38 S&W? He keeps the pistol at a friend's house because he doesn't own a safe and the friend does. So I can't get a picture to be sure. Just don't want him to blow his hand off. Thanks, toby
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt SAA caliber question

Post by JerryB »

I think that a very small number of first generation Colt SAA sixguns were made in .38 special. If his is a factory .38 special it could be worth a bunch.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I think that the 38 Special came out around 1900 or so (maybe 1902 or 1903?). My 1922 Colt Police Positive is in 38 special. I don't think that it was around before 1900 but the 38 Long Colt was, sort of a short 38 special.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Might be one of the first ones in 38 special. You really should have it appraised, because as said prior, it might be worth quite a bit.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Lots of 1st gen Colt SAAs were converted from their original caliber to 38 Special in the 1950's and early 60's.If it was converted the barrel would read "COLT SINGLE ACTION ARMY 38 SPECIAL" on the left side.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don't quote me, but... The .38 Special was introduced in 1898 by Smith & Wesson as an improvement over the .38 Long Colt. Upon its introduction, the .38 Special was originally loaded with black powder, but the cartridge's popularity caused manufacturers to offer smokeless powder loadings within a year of its introduction.

You're thinkin' .357 Mag on the 1930s intro.
Last edited by Griff on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Bad news. The 38 S&W Spl. was not introduced in the S.A. Colt until sometime in the 1930's. The 38 Colt Spl. (which is the same round but with a FP bullet) came out a little after the century turned over. Colt & S&W both hated to put their competitor's name on a barrel, thus the introduction of the 38 Colt Spl. early on.

It was common practice to take old beat up and pitted barrels & cylinders from SA Colts and replace 'em with new replacement ones in 38 Spl., especially in the forties and fifties. The older steel frames were still safe with the pressures of the 38 Spl. I run across these recalibered guns all the time. Its still a Colt S.A.A. and will make a fine shooter. Go have fun with it. For $150 or so, Colt will provide a letter telling you the original configuration. Most likely it was a big bore caliber.--------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
toby
Levergunner

Post by toby »

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I'm have to get a look at this little jewel. This has really got my curiosity up. I'm gonna have to meet up with dad in a month or so.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

It`s either rebarreled or most likely its .38 WCF (winchester center fire) also called 38-40. He probley just noticed .38 and the brain jumped to special and didnt notice wcf.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Colt made a bunch of replacement barrels in 38 Special but they have the Colt address on the right side of the barrel instead of on top. Intended to be an easy way to tell if the barrel had been changed and it works if it still has a Colt barrel.

Spend the money and get the letter. You can google Colt Historian for the address. If it's really 38 Special it makes a great shooter. I have one from 1894 that's been nickle plated after the caliber conversion.

The barrel lengths are: 4 3/4", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2". Measured from the front of the cylinder. Sounds like yours is the 5 1/2".
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Speer #11 lying next to computer. Claims D. Wesson developed .38Sp in 1902.

N.B. "Reb" in Alan Ladd movie, Shane, refers to his ".38". Cannot not have been .38Sp.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Booger Bill wrote:It`s either rebarreled or most likely its .38 WCF (winchester center fire) also called 38-40. He probley just noticed .38 and the brain jumped to special and didnt notice wcf.
I would like it either way. 38WCF would even be better (values aside).