Civil War Reinactment (Pic Heavy)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Civil War Reinactment (Pic Heavy)

Post by RustyJr »

Took some pics at a Civil War reinactment over the weekend. Thought yall might enjoy them. The battle location that this was based on was the Union's raid on the town of Brookesville, Florida. Apparently this year they were reinacting the battle of Shiloh. The Gatling gun pictured was built based on the original plans that Dr. Gatling used. The only difference is that the magazines are half the capacity and that it is a 50 caliber instead of 58.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Civil War Reinactment (Pic Heavy)

Post by gamekeeper »

We have quite a few American Civil War reenactments over here, the sutlers stores are full of interesting stuff too, great fun and living history is a fantastic way of getting folks interested in the subject.
Thanks for the photos. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Nice pictures Rusty!

We probably have the mac daddy of civil war reenactment here in PA the one they do at Gettysburg.
When they to the battles with thousands of solders and your there to watch it in person it sends chills through you.
My Great Great Grandfather was there and fought in the "wheatfield battle" make me wonder what he was thinking.

Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDxrB9-7tHY
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

game keeper wrote:We have quite a few American Civil War reenactments over here
That seriously surprises me. Never gave it much thought from the English perspective of reenactment. No insult meant, just saying.
Old Law Dawg
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

kimwcook wrote:
game keeper wrote:We have quite a few American Civil War reenactments over here
That seriously surprises me. Never gave it much thought from the English perspective of reenactment. No insult meant, just saying.
kimwcook, there is a lot of interest in reenactments of all periods of history over here and the Civil War is very popular, some British "Yanks & Rebels" go over to the US to join in with reenactments over there. There are Sutlers Stores in England where you can order correct blue or grey uniforms complete with all the right accoutrements, another thing you'd notice over here is the number of Confederate Flags especially at truck stops and burger bars. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

At the raid they had a viewing area with a band stand where the narrator sat through out the day and explained what was going on during the battle. The narrator was a member of "The 97th Regimental String band" http://the97th.com/ (in case you like old time music)
He did a great job and really knew his history as the whole thing was unscripted. One thing I found interesting was that during the event no ramrods are used. They don't want someone to launch a ramrod by mistake at the opposing forces.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.