My wife's first deer! (pic)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

My wife's first deer! (pic)

Post by shooter »

We had a fantastic weekend hunting and spending time with friends. We got to the property (3300 acres) on Friday evening at about 8:30 p.m., and there ended up being 13 of us total. I brought along my 15 yr. old cousin, my wife, and my best friend. My wife and cousin were to hunt with me all weekend. Thankfully Jacob has been hunting since he was out of diapers and isn't a newbie. It could have been challenging. Saturday a.m. we were posted at a stand that had about an 80 yd. shot to the feeder, and is where I shot a doe from about 2 weeks ago. Right after sunup 3 deer appeared in the clearing where the feeder is positioned. I told my wife to get ready for the shot. I had a shooting stick for her to rest her gun on, but she was having trouble seeing over the grass. I told her to stand up, and adjusted the stick to where it was the right height for a standing shot. Well, I don't know if it was nerves, or if she didn't really want to shoot, or if it was a combination of both, but she was fiddling around trying to get comfortable for about 15 min or so. In that time even more deer were drifting into the clearing. There ended up being about 12-15 deer at the feeder at the same time that morning. She got frustrated and wasn't able to settle in, so she requested that my cousin shoot one, and she would try again later. Jacob took the biggest of the bunch with his .308. We spent nearly 30-40 minutes looking for it, but there was no blood trail anywhere. We finally found it about 30 yds from where he shot it. It was a through and through shot with the heart just mush inside, but no blood trail whatsoever.

Saturday evening we were back in the same spot, only I put my wife up in the tripod by herself to get her above the grass, and the tripod has a gun rest on it. I told her that if any deer came out to make sure they were does, and to watch me and if I gave her the nod she was to shoot the biggest one. We sat for several hours with no movement, and then, just as it was getting dark, almost running out of shooting light, 3 deer stepped out into the clearing. I glassed to make sure they were all does, and when I looked up to give her the go ahead I was pleasantly surprised to see she already had the gun up and was positioning for the shot. She let the round go and the deer folded like a lawn chair. I was ecstatic, probably more excited than she was, but she had a smile on her face. She said that her heart was pounding so hard she was afraid the deer would hear it :lol: After she got down from the stand she asked, "Did I hit it in the right spot?" I replied, "Well, since it didn't take a step I would guess you made a pretty good one!"

Forgot to add: Those .223 rounds make so small an entry hole I couldn't even find it until I skinned the animal. I was amazed. She used Remington Express ammunition with a 55 gr. soft point. She hit it right over the front leg, and totally blew out the shoulder. The bullet continued all the way through, clipping the heart and stopping in the hide on the opposite side without exiting.

Here is a pic of her with her deer. The gun was borrowed from a friend, and it's a Rossi handi rifle in .223. I may have to get her one for her birthday in a couple of weeks.

‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: My wife's first deer! (pic)

Post by Dave »

Congrats to both of you!
WyoShooter
Levergunner

Post by WyoShooter »

Congratulations! That's meat in the freezer.
"In the beginning of a change the Patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good memories.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Awesome story and a great hunt! Congratulations to all of you!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats on great hunt. Thanks for sharing
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Congratulations to the both of you. Glad to hear she got her deer.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

shooter wrote:The gun was borrowed from a friend, and it's a Rossi handi rifle in .223. I may have to get her one for her birthday in a couple of weeks.
You KNOW you have to get her one. No way out of it.

Later on, you can get her an 'upgrade' in the form of some other fancy gun, but she just MUST have a gun just like she got her first deer with. Better yet, buy the guy you borrowed it from a new gun, and give her THE gun she used.

You now have not only a life-long wife, but a life-long hunting-buddy. . .

. . .and one way better to curl up with on a cold night than any of the dudes you probably used to hunt with. . . :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

86er wrote:Awesome story and a great hunt! Congratulations to all of you!
I totally agree. Good job.
Old Law Dawg
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations! Nice shootin there. The .223 is a nice round.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, nice effort. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

kimwcook wrote:
86er wrote:Awesome story and a great hunt! Congratulations to all of you!
I totally agree. Good job.
+ 1 :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

rjohns94 wrote:Congrats on great hunt. Thanks for sharing
Yepper +1
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good for her. Great team work there :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!