At the Range with My Girls -- and "Reactive Targets"!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

At the Range with My Girls -- and "Reactive Targets"!!!

Post by Old No7 »

Sorry there were no Leverguns this time (will have to correct that oversight soon!), but I wanted to share some pix of time spent at the range yesterday with my bride, our daughter and her boyfriend -- and the reactive targets they wanted to shoot!

Ever since my wife started to watch Top Shot with me, and now American Guns too, she has been asking for "reactive targets" to use at the local range. She was a little disappointed there were no "exploding targets" under the Christmas Tree for her, so it looks like she will get some Tannerite for her birthday in June... Kaboom! (I guess that's better than 50+ candles on a cake?!?!?) :o

Anyway, here' the string of clay birds we hung from a rope at 25 yards, with the shaken can of cheap Shaving Cream waiting to be shot:
Clay Targets.jpg
My wife used my Winchester Low Wall in 17HMR to "shave" and here's a few stills from the video we took with my camera. Not the best quality, but you'll see what she likes for reactive targets:
Close Shave 01.jpg
Close Shave 02.jpg
Close Shave 03.jpg
Then my daughter decided she wanted in on all the fun, so she decided to "open a Diet Coke" (also well-shaken, of course) the easy way:
Diet Coke 01.jpg
Diet Coke 02.jpg
Diet Coke 03.jpg
Here's my gal enjoying the new Pistol Rest that I gave her for Christmas, using my heavily-modified Ruger MkII with Volquartsen muzzle-brake & internals and Nil-Grif target grips. She really likes the little reflex sight on this piece as it has 2 different-sized dots, plus a "T" dot and a "bracketed dot", which looks like this: ( o ). No can or clay bird is safe from her!
Sara - Ruger MkII.jpg
Lastly, she fired my tricked-out S&W M&P15-22 for the first time, and had a ball shooting the AR platform in .22. It was all I could do to keep up with her, while doing the loading for her of (3) 25-round mags plus the custom 5- and 10-round mags I had made.
Sara - S&W MP15-22.jpg
For a few months, per posts on the S&W Forum's M&P15-22 Page, I was the only one in the country who had anything other than the stock 25-round mags, as I cut down 2 long mags on my table saw to make the shorter mags for hunting or bench use. If you're interested in those short mags, you can read all about Making Shorter 15-22 Mags here on this link.

That's all for the pix, but I have to say, it is really great to get out to the range with my wife and family. I've always enjoyed shooting, but it's terrific to see my bride become more interested in the shooting sports, thanks in part to those TV shows -- who would have thought?!?! It is lots of fun for all of us, and now I get to go to the range even more now that my girls are getting more into it -- even though most of my time is now spent loading, instead of shooting... :?

Anyway, I will try to bring some Leverguns the next time we go! :wink:

Tight groups, and a Happy New Year to all!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: At the Range with My Girls -- and "Reactive Targets"!!!

Post by kimwcook »

You're a lucky man and that looks like a bunch of fun.
Old Law Dawg
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Reactive targets are a blast.
Even just shooting cans. Especially at distance, 50 yards or better, with subsonic rounds.
Get your retort, see the can hop, then hear the ping.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I think there is a Law against what YOU Guys are doing !! It is called "Having too much Fun"
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Great pics, looked like fun. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Utterly fantastic Ole' No7 and Bulldog :D

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Our favorite is to make a small hole in the top of a pumpkin, and fill it with water. A high velocity round will produce very satisfying results....... and completely biodegradeable. All of those reactive targets seem to produce the same silly grin, don't they? Looks like you folks had a great time !! My compliments on your ability to time the camera shutter with the impact. That's not easy.
NRA life member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good for you Darryl!

I took Y2K out to the range Friday (12/30). Earlier that morning I gave him my 1911 - to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the model. I had wanted to purchase one for him around the holidays but got hit with the 'frig and wall oven puking out in the same week right before Christmas. Killed the budget. He loved it and didn't care one bit that it wasn't knew. We went to the range and he shot it like a champ. Unfortunately, it was an indoor range, so I don't think they would like us shooting diet coke cans or shaving cream! We love reactive targets when we are up at his grandfather's (my FIL's) farm in Ohio. Hard to have more fun legally!!! :D :D :D
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

That's good family fun. I'm heading out in a few hours with my som who just purchased his first handgun after turning 21. He bought himself a Springfield XD. We'll be slinging lead soon and having fun. I do plan on out shooting him with my revolver.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bmtshooter wrote: All of those reactive targets seem to produce the same silly grin, don't they?
+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Tannerite is Numbah 1 !!!

Cheers,

Carl