Custom front sight is needed?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Custom front sight is needed?

Post by Mainehunter »

I'm searching for a gunsmith to have a taller front sight made for my Marlin. I tried Skinner Sights but just found out he's way too busy. Any ideas? Thanks!

Mainehunter :wink:
cfplinker
Levergunner

Re: Custom front sight is needed?

Post by cfplinker »

If a post sight will work for you look at the Marbles Sourdough sight. Get the tallest one, install it and start filing it down. It is plenty wide so you can narrow it if you want to.

Brownells also has a Marlin front sight that is .385 from the top of the dovetail to the top of the sight. Your choice of widths.

If you need an even taller sight, Brownells also has a sight that is .590 inches high and has an oversize dovetail that you can file to fit your slot. It also has a choice of widths.
Shoot safely, shoot well, and shoot often.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I checked with them first (Marlbles, Williams & Brownell's) but they have sights that only go up to .590. I need something in the line of .695 and to make things more complicated the barrel is dovetailed so a ramp is out of the question.

Mainehunter :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Would I be out of order if I suggested a lower rear sight... or elevator?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Griff wrote:Would I be out of order if I suggested a lower rear sight... or elevator?
Not at all Griff I forgot to mention I have the X ghost sight set up for the Marlin. It's pegged all the way down still shooting high.

Mainehunter :wink: :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mainehunter wrote:I need something in the line of .695 and to make things more complicated the barrel is dovetailed so a ramp is out of the question.
Several options I can think of:
  • 1. Complete 'gunsmith' job - drill/tap for ramp and install bead on it. It would be costly, but give you a streamlined appearance, be durable, and some ramps have user-installable quick-switch beads so you could fine-tune the height you want later on.

2. There are dovetail 'adapters' like the ones used to attach the XS-Scout rail onto the rear sight dovetail, where a threaded hole is in what looks like a 'dovetail blank', which allows attachment of whatever you want. By doing this, you could install any number of ramps onto the gun using that dovetail, either for 'temporary' purposes of finalizing height and so on you want, or as a permanent job (you might want to use Lok-Tite or similar sealer or epoxy to finish around base of ramp if it isn't a perfect flush fit). They would look like this except have a drilled and tapped hole in the center.

3. There are dovetail 'risers' I see the target-shooting crowd use, often under sights like the Lyman Globe front sight. You might have to do some fiddling to get what you want, but it might be the easiest thing, even though it would stick 'straight' up and be thus less streamlined than a ramp-style setup.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/682122 ... inum-matte ($7.19)

Even just a tall 'Globe' sight could work, if you don't mind that style.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/509264 ... steel-blue ($33.49)

4. There are other rear sights that are similar to the one you have only much lower-profile, if you didn't mind switching - the Williams FP's are pretty awesome and low profile, and never seem to need a taller front sight than the factory one.
    Some fit un-tapped Marlins, and others need side-tapped ones.
    ImageImage

They are pretty compact, too:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have dealt with Brockman's in Idaho who makes their own sights with CNC and they told me they could make anything. They're on the web, call them and ask for a front sight with your specified height. They're really just a gunsmith that got into making their own sights so they're small enough to do what you ask.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."