Ithaca Shotguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Ithaca Shotguns

Post by RustyJr »

I am considering in the next year or so getting a nice shotgun for shooting clays and possibly some bird hunting. I have a 870 express but would like a nicer looking and handling shotgun. I was considering an Ithaca Featherlight in 20 gauge. Does anyone have any experiance with any of the current crop of Ithaca shotguns?

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ithaca Shotguns

Post by BigSky56 »

yes to liking 37's I have a m37 in 12 bore made in 39 and had a M87 12 ga. and a M37 in 20 ga. I like the fact that they drop the empties at your feet. I see that they are making a 28 ga small frame now wish they would tool up for a 410 as I need a mtn grouse gun. You will like the 37 another JB designed firearm. havent handled the new ones yet but they are steel. danny
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I reviewed these guns when the new company debuted them at the SHOT show a few years ago. The one piece barrel/rib is a great design feature. The fit and finish was superb and the action was extremely slick. We had a trick shooter that shot, pumped and shot again 5 shots at clay targets and hit them all. To pump he just thrust the gun up and down in one hand. The action cycled through. The 20's and 28's are my favorites as they are thin, lightweight and well balanced. For the complete review try to find the 2008 Upland Almanac Magazine New Gun Review.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Keep your eye out on some good gun market sites such as Kittery Trading Post.
I suggest you purchase a 1970's(s/n 371XXXXX)Deluxe version if possible in 20ga(28"VR modified is nice)(26" VR IC is also nice)
Prices (HERE)run around $250-$350(and the $350 ones will take your breath)
I have many Ithaca's and like those older ones just as good or better than the new ones now being made.
And you will save about $500

Though you can get these about $150-$200 cheaper around here than the one pictured below(just put that one up to show what a non-deluxe looks like,the deluxe model is even nicer they are still very nice.
You have a year to browse so I am betting $295 you can find a nice one(if you can't let me know and I will) :wink:

Again this is only a example of what even the non-deluxe looks like!
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ithaca ... =100172195
http://www.gunsinternational.com/popup. ... 95-7-L.JPG
I like the 1972-1976 mfg years best!
Course one of my good friends and gun club member (Fred Cornell )was a Master Gun Maker at the Ithaca Plant for decades and I listen/listened to what the man says/said!
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Although it is not part of the current crop, I have a 20 GA, Model 200E, made by SKB, for the Ithaca company. 25" side-by-side barrels.
My 15 year son, simply knocks anything flying, down with it. Course havin young eyes and the desire to beat the old man, has it's own rewards! :lol:

Good luck on your quest,
OkD
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

okdee wrote:Although it is not part of the current crop, I have a 20 GA, Model 200E, made by SKB, for the Ithaca company. 25" side-by-side barrels.
My 15 year son, simply knocks anything flying, down with it. Course havin young eyes and the desire to beat the old man, has it's own rewards! :lol:

Good luck on your quest,
OkD
Okdee, is that simuliar to the model 100, here`s my SKB 100 20 GA.
Good buddy gave it to me, nice gun.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

BigSky,
You mentioned a 410 for mountain grouse. Do you currently use a 410 for them? If you do what kind is it?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Hey Pitchy, Yes sir, my particular SKB, 200E - 20 ga shotgun - has the nickel engraved receiver. I have several 100's. I think that they are mighty fine shotguns!

You gotta good friend that passed it on to you! :D

Have a grand winter and happy new year!
Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

You gotta good friend that passed it on to you!

Have a grand winter and happy new year!
Oklahoma Dee

He lives out in WA. now, we used to be riding pards.

Thanks, you have a good winter also.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Didn't they re-make that into a 16ga too? That is what I would go for. Otherwise I would buy a Browning BPS in 16ga, but then again, I wouldn't probably be buying a pump.
As much as I am a sucker for lever guns, a bigger sucker for doubles. (and A-5's) oh, and I would really like a Double Automatic in twentyweight, IC choke.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had a 20ga DeerSlayer. Very slick and smooth. This would have been a late sixties or seventies gun, I'm guessing, but I'm not sure when it was made.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Rusty, I have been using 410 single shots, stevens & H&R, but when I get in a covey of fools hens I need more shots, my 20 ga is to much gun for head shooting grouse. We have blue, franklin,ruffled grouse and ptarmigan around here. danny
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Rusty,
Ok, here is an example(look at that gun??)
http://www.armslist.com/posts/236859/ph ... ge-shotgun
Now, for starters that 20" slugster barrel is without question one of the finest barrels ever made(I have 10 of them)and they are a work of art.Those barrels are absolutely fantastic for upland birds/self defense/bear stoppers with Brenekees and with hold deer down groups at 100 yards and that gun points fast.
You can pick up a extra Ithaca barrel such as a 28" vent rib for around $90 that will go right on.(I have 6 of them)

With reduced loads that 12ga will be basically a 20ga and those guns in 12ga are very light anyway.
How can you beat a two barreled quality gun like that for around $365
I will compare that to the new ones any day of the week!
Their out there dude! :wink:
And you got time to find a gem.
I have a Browning BPS(Upland straight stock edition)bought new in 1999 and it ain't no M37 :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Depends on how the fit is for you for either in my opinion. I have shot thousands of rounds through each and prefer the Rem 870 as it points more naturally for me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote:Depends on how the fit is for you for either in my opinion. I have shot thousands of rounds through each and prefer the Rem 870 as it points more naturally for me.

I like an 1100 more then ANY pump !

But then I hold my left hand as far back as I can anyway !

Now with that being said I'd kinda like to have an Ithaca 12 gauge DeerSlayer from back in the 60's or 70's for buckshot and Foster slugs !

But better then that would be a Belgium Browning A-5 in 12 or 16 with the short rifle sighted deer barrel !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I guess I have a mean streak. This is a ithica model 37 supream skeet in 20 guage. I bought it new back in febuary 1985 and still have NEVER fired it! A gold paper tag is still sticking on the stock. I might have cycled it once or twice.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Oh Bill, that is nice. You should have seen Jr. squirm when I brought that picture to his attention. Even the wife banned me from talking about it.

One of the joys of fatherhood is being able to torture your children. :lol:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Moondawg
Levergunner

Post by Moondawg »

I have an Ithaca Mdl 37 featherweight that I bought new in 1970. It is one sweet shooting, well balanced rugged gun. I love the bottom load and ejection. The empty hulls drop right at my feet, not 15 feet away. The action is super rugged and simple, and with no side port, it does not collect as much junk and debris. This is a lightweight all steel gun, no aluminimun receiver here. Also it doe not have a disconnector, so if you want to do some fast shooting, just hold the trigger back and pump. I would not trade/sell my model 37 for anything. It has served me well over the decades and continues to serve well. The one thing I had done to it was I had the barrel threaded to accept screw in chokes.
flashpan
Levergunner

Post by flashpan »

I love my 37 Featherweight 12ga!
Bought it sometime in the late '70s or early '80s.
30" full choke barrel and a Deerslayer.
Fast is Fine.....
But Accuracy is Final!
~Wyatt Earp~
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Love my older M37 12 and 16 ga--both ca 1956-58. Also helped a galfriend get a sweet 20 Ga Featherlight (ca 1975)...all of 'em charmers. Can't beat an Ithaca IMO, but no experience with the current crop.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I know they aren't Ithacas or even pumps and weren't in the OP, but does anyone have any experience with the CZ side by side double barrels? They arent bad looking and the price isnt too bad. I know you tend to get what you pay for with firearms but I'm curious. I know their rifles can't be beat as far as accuracy goes.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

R Jr. - might get more response on your question if you put it in a separate thread.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

RustyJr wrote:I know they aren't Ithacas or even pumps and weren't in the OP, but does anyone have any experience with the CZ side by side double barrels? They arent bad looking and the price isnt too bad. I know you tend to get what you pay for with firearms but I'm curious. I know their rifles can't be beat as far as accuracy goes.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Yes I have a friend here that "had" a CZ SxS in 28 gauge !

Very pretty little gun , but the LOP was LONG for most american shooters . Think it was something like 14 3/4" !

I shot it a few rounds at skeet with the gun mounted and it did nicely for me , but from low gun if it had been mine the stock would have needed to be paired a bit !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !