Winchester model 100--again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Winchester model 100--again

Post by getitdone1 »

Been some time since I mentioned this gun. Been reading about it on the internet.

Read Nu Line Guns have all the parts for it and are experts about this gun. Haven't checked them out yet.

Also read that a military M-14 magazine will work in the model 100 with minor modifications.

How "on the mark" are these statements?

I'm attracted to the carbine. Had it once and shot it only a little with no problems. I'm aware of the firing pin replacement Winchester did on them--and may still replace them. Dangerous gun as came from factory.

If I could find someone who could make a real reliable gun out of the 100 and a 10-20 round magazine that worked well--I'd want one for sure. That carbine is much lighter than the M-14--which I used in the army. Also read you have to keep it clean, especially the gas piston.

Any thoughts welcome.

Don
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester model 100--again

Post by geobru »

Don,
Nu-line bought all the parts that Winchester had for the Model 88 and 100 according to their website.

As far as the magazines go, I have only seen the stock mags which are 4 shots IIRC, and are pretty spendy. Wisners makes a repro mag. You might try contacting them and asking if the magazine conversion could be done.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

It holds 4 rounds already --- its a nice, slim, woods rifle that can reach out a bit more if need be --- why ugly it up with a huge box magazine hanging out the bottom?

But an M1A or an AR10 if you want a high capacity 308 - the Model 100 is much too pretty a rifle for that kind of abuse (but its your rifle , not mine - but it'd be weird)

----- Doug
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Streetstar wrote:It holds 4 rounds already --- its a nice, slim, woods rifle that can reach out a bit more if need be --- why ugly it up with a huge box magazine hanging out the bottom?

But an M1A or an AR10 if you want a high capacity 308 - the Model 100 is much too pretty a rifle for that kind of abuse (but its your rifle , not mine - but it'd be weird)

Agreed !

I think the Winchester Model 100 was the best looking semi-auto ever made & the Winchester Model 88 was the best looking lever action ever made.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

Pretty nice just the way they are......and all 3 are Winchesters........Merry Christmas.....Kevin

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've handled the 88 lever version. It was pre-64 but I have no idea what that means for this series. The handling and fit was great. I would have one except for the parts issue here in Canada and the fact I really like my rifles to have an exposed hammer. I like to quietly thumb the hammer back when hunting.

If the mag mods allow using the factory mag also you would have the best of both worlds. I doubt I would mod the rifle if it altered the gun to no longer use the factory mag. Canadians are restricted to 5 shots in an auto so not an issue here. Personally I limit my levers to 1 in the chamber and 3 in the tube mag anyways. In all my years hunting I've never emptied a mag and loading gate levers reload quick.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Dunno if the web sights mentioned have said so but according to an old "Rifleman" magazine, the safetys on both the 100 & 88 can be turned to work in the opposite direction to make the leftys happy...
I seem to rmember somthing about it being against the law to modify magazines..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ben, AFAIK, it's not agin' the law to mod mags, pre se - although some jurisdictions disallow semi-auto long guns afield if they have over 5 round capacity.

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks Pete44ru... I'll check it out... I thought about adapting an 20 rnd. M-14 mag to work in a 7.62x51 Ishapore Smelly..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Yes, in terms of appearance and hunting the model 100 is fine with the factory magazine. In terms of self-defense--or the option of same--more rounds would be welcome.

I'm sure you can't make a 100 as durable or as reliable as an M-14 but think it'd be fun to give it a try.

In terms of handling and carrying that 100 carbine I had many years ago was a dandy.

Don
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I have always felt that when the day comes that I can not get the job done in four shots I will sell my gun collection and take up fishing.