Wolf Delisting moving forward

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Wolf Delisting moving forward

Post by pricecw »

http://www.fws.gov/news/NewsReleases/sh ... 9D39440B2B

Looks like it will be official 30 days after 27Feb08.

--Carl
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

So when does the season start and what are the bag limits?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

From what our Fish and Game has said, season will be the same year that delisting happens (they were trying hard to get it done last year), and tags will be like bear or cougar, so generally 1 per person. My understanding is a resident tag should run around $10-15. Hope to take my 308MX out after one this fall!

This is what is on the Idaho Fish and Game web site on big game rules for 2008.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is expected to publish a final rule, removing wolves in Idaho from the federal endangered species list, in the Federal Register February 28, and Idaho would assume full management March 28. Litigation over delisting, however, is expected to affect timelines - perhaps delaying the process for years.

If the commission adopts the wolf management plan, proposed 2008 wolf hunting rules would be available for public review and comment in April and May. The commission would set 2008 wolf hunting seasons in May. Wolf hunting rules brochures also would become available in July.

Details on draft wolf hunting seasons would available in April. General considerations would include statewide population goals, season structure and methods of take.
--Carl
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Hmmm... wonder how long til things get out of hand and they go back to giving bounties for wolf pelts... :?
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

JReed wrote:So when does the season start and what are the bag limits?
Well that depends. If the government doesn't back out and renig on their words again.... :roll:
Here in Wyoming for most of the state they'll still be classed as predators and can be shot on site, as has always been allowed by state law, but overridden and contramanded by federal bueracrats.
In the northwestern portion of the state they have to maintain a certain number of breeding packs, so wolves will be classed as trophy game, and managed by the game and fish. But I look for the facist nazi **** to file suit and get some soft headed federal judge back east to put a stop on the whole deal before to much longer.
Even if the deal goes thru as it is now most of us can go back to life as normal, sort of, but we have left a tremendous burden on a not insignificant population of ranchers and other livestock interest and outfitters, who will continue to be desimated by the wolf and their facist friends. :cry:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well then here is hopeing that they make it off the list. And the ranchers can go about protecting their stock.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jeremy it will be good for those of us out in the free fire zone, but some of the accounts of what is and has happened to folks inside the "recovery zone" just absolutely jerks your guts out at the worst and brings a tear to your eye at best. :(
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I am just waiting for the Hollywood types to file suit or protest. These people have never left California and have never lived in wolf country. As much as I do love them, they can be destructive and I have seen it first hand. For years in Michigan, the DNR said that there was no wolf population. I have seen a dozen or so just deer hunting in the UP since the early 90's. They finally relized it when a poacher shot one up there and was caught. Same thing happened in Colorado last year. They said there was none that far south until they found one dead east of Denver on I-70. Wolves are back and do need to be managed free of the federal government. It needs to be up to the state.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well its official, they delisted the gray wolf in the northern rockies :D
But :cry: as predicted the nazi facists have promised to file suit to stop it. :?
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

Not quite official yet. From the FWS info, the official filing date is 27Feb2008, there is then a 30 day wait from that time until it is official.

So, 28March2008 is the date to be watching, I know I am.

I hate the threat to sue, esp when they basically wrote the re-introduction plan that stated we needed 300 wolves in the 3 states. We now officially have over 1500 (probably much higher). The official numbers show we have been over recovery numbers since 2002.

The recovery plan from 1987 -- http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/spe ... ryPlan.pdf

--Carl
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Headline article in the Casper (Red Star) Tribune. I don't think I will run out to Sportsman's Warehouse and buy my wolf call just yet. This thing is goind to be tied up in the courts for at least a while. I was sort of surprised that the GYC went along with the delisting.

Now Don, I don't want to hear bullets zinging over my head just because you heard a yip in your sleep ;-)
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

cbs 5 (communist broadcast service) out of Cheyenne said it was done deal, tonite. Taylor Brown northern ag network said its done, but they're all waiting for the lawsuits to start flying.
:D Mike you might of heard some today, was messin with ol buttugly, and them 530 grs was a flailing off of the semi frozen ground pretty good yet. :shock:
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

So how do you cook wolf? The only recipe I know of comes from the three little pigs.
See, the rule at my house is, "If you kill it, you eat it." Keeps the youngster from shooting at tweety birds with his BB gun.
Yes, I know, we'll have a new discussion after he goes sage rat shooting with me.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Years ago in California the tree huggers, anti-hunting crowd, PETA, etc. placed a measure on the ballort to ban Mountain Lion hunting. It passed and it has been in effect for at least 20-years.

What does that have to do with wolves? It means you do the same thing that has been happeening in CA for years. "Shoot, shovel, shut-up". Screw a tag, screw a limit, screw a season. If you see a wolf shoot it and let it lay or bury it.
ED
Yer never too old
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Modoc ED wrote:Years ago in California the tree huggers, anti-hunting crowd, PETA, etc. placed a measure on the ballort to ban Mountain Lion hunting. It passed and it has been in effect for at least 20-years.

What does that have to do with wolves? It means you do the same thing that has been happeening in CA for years. "Shoot, shovel, shut-up". Screw a tag, screw a limit, screw a season. If you see a wolf shoot it and let it lay or bury it.
Yup that used to work pretty well. Problem is now with advancements in technology,they have come up implantable chips that relay via satellite all the vitals, gps location included. So unlike the old neck collars that were visible and equal to a no shoot target, you can't be sure which one may or may not have the chip.
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

pharmseller wrote:So how do you cook wolf? The only recipe I know of comes from the three little pigs.
See, the rule at my house is, "If you kill it, you eat it." Keeps the youngster from shooting at tweety birds with his BB gun.
Yes, I know, we'll have a new discussion after he goes sage rat shooting with me.

Quinn
I figure for most creatures, a you shoot it you use it is the right attitude (sage rats are another thing entirely, I always see others creatures eating the ones I shoot, so no problem).

So, I look at a wolf like a coyote, use the pelt, large leg bones, and prep and keep the skull.

--Carl
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I really hope this comes true. We've seen the hunting be decimated by these nasty killing machines in the northwest corner of WY. They are coming south at an alarming rate. We now have some down here on the UT border.
If they can get it passed my son (10) might get to experience what good elk and moose hunting really is like.
Took him on 2 pack trips up in Thorofare and one in the north Grosventre. All we saw was a pack of wolves on a spike elk carcass. Not one moose, not one live elk. Covered a lot of country too.
In all of these places where the hunting was SO good, we'd see a wolf track one year, no elk the next. Moose are gone from great big areas where they used to be in great abundance.
These were awesome places to shoot elk with my leverguns. Called a lot of bulls in and whacked them with my 45-70's. Can't have more fun than that with your clothes on!
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Start whacking wolves with the 45-70. 8)

I would like to be able to shoot a wolf one day. On second thought, I would like to shoot more than one.