Winchester .22lr ammo question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Winchester .22lr ammo question

Post by GoatGuy »

Anyone know whatever happened to the Winchester Super X .22lr, high velocity Power Point (X22LRPP) ammunition? Haven't seen any at stores in ages. Fortunately I have maybe half of a brick, but would really like to pick up another few bricks, ... which at 69 years and 9 months of age (but who's counting) is probably all I'll ever need :(. It's a 40 grain hollow point and has been superbly accurate for me in every .22lr rifle in which it has been used. Anyhow, thought someone might have heard or read about it being discontinued while I wasn't paying attention. Hope that's not the case. Thanks - John
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester .22lr ammo question

Post by yooper2 »

I've been looking for some for a while too. The two gunshops around here and Wallyworld haven't had any. I've got my fingers crossed that it hasn't been discontinued.

Eric
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

It is still out there, but hard to find at the 'Marts. A couple of local gun shops in town have it, and it seems easier to find in the 100 round plastic boxes than in the traditional 10 boxes to a brick packaging. Try midway or natchez.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I bought a bunch the last time it got scarce. It shoots very well for me also in a wide range of 22"s. I"m sure Winchester is too busy cranking out their new tin stuff to worry about keeping up with PowerPoint demand. I see that currently it is in stock at Natchez in the 100 round sliding plastic packs. I couldn't find it in the 50 round boxes the last time either.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I'm still sitting on 2 bricks, of 22 short Winchester Super X (white box). I haven't seen any since I bought the 4 bricks some 4 years ago.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

GoatGuy wrote:Anyone know whatever happened to the Winchester Super X .22lr, high velocity Power Point (X22LRPP) ammunition? Haven't seen any at stores in ages. Fortunately I have maybe half of a brick, but would really like to pick up another few bricks, ... which at 69 years and 9 months of age (but who's counting) is probably all I'll ever need :(. It's a 40 grain hollow point and has been superbly accurate for me in every .22lr rifle in which it has been used. Anyhow, thought someone might have heard or read about it being discontinued while I wasn't paying attention. Hope that's not the case. Thanks - John
I was wondering the same thing--I have 1 1/2 bricks left--great stuff... :\
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

After reading this thread a couple hours ago I made a visit to Bi Mart, where I generally get such stuff. Sure enough, not a bit of Winchester 22 (or anything else of the rimfire persuasion from Winchester) on the shelf. A little dab of CCIs in the 100 round plastic boxes, and quite a lot of Remington & Peters (which I no longer buy, since every lot of Rem produced rimfire I've bought for the last 10 years gives me the occasional missfire). Fortunately a good supply of Federal in the 525 packs and 500 bricks. So I picked up another brick of Federals. I figure this will be good trading stock when the brown stuff hits the whirling blades...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I bought two cases from MidwayUSA. Waited 2 years for them to get some in stock. Was down to my last three bricks when it finally came in. Should have bought 5 cases. I think that overall it was the best .22 LR ammo made. We have had it at the gun shop but it has been hit or miss.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Well boys, I suppose from these responses that the 100 round pack is all that's available now. No bricks or cases! That right? Makes me wonder what the heck? Very, very good ammo unavailable in reasonable quantities. That's a dirty trick. Guess all the mart store "value pack" stuff is good enough for us old "plinkers". However, never thought of plinking as the "be all, end all" for what I wanted to do with a dang 22. Pesses me off! Life in this here 21st century US isn't changing for the better... in my opinion. Not what I really wanted to find out, but my thanks anyhow for the replys. - John

And, uh Hobie,..., if ya don't need all of that surplus you have on hand, I'd be happy to relieve you of a few bricks. You lucky (smart) old dog you! :mrgreen: :lol:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

A bird in hand.... :wink:

If you want some most sites will allow you to get notified when they post it. Midway says backorders are ok.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/215850 ... box-of-100
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Hobie, thanks for that Midway heads-up. Will take them up on their 1/8/12 restocking. Not a real bad price for the 100 pk, so will order enough for a couple of bricks worth.

Boys, check the reviews from Hobie's posted link. They echo my experience and those of our folks who posted in this topic. Hey though, if you order, leave me enough for my future needs/wants :P . Thanks all - John
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Not about Winchester Ammo but,
El Cheapo, bulk .22 LRs run through a Paco Acu'rzr is superbly accurate in all my .22s. A little extra work, can't just dump 'em outta the box, but bulk Federals Acu'rzred are more accurate in my Marlin bolt .22 than I am...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Able Ammo has it HERE.

Hinterland Outfitters has it HERE.

MidwayUSA has the HP version HERE.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

As indicated by another member, I too found Remington bulk .22LR to suffer from too many misfires. Now, I buy the Winny white box marked 555--36 grain bullet at 1280fps. Two weeks ago, I notice Wally World selling a 40 grain 1250 fps graphite coated bullet bulk package. The 555 pack works well and is a little cheaper.

The graphite coated winny ammo I've purchased for other calibers is dead on accurate, but pricey.

rimrock
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Earlier I noted that I bought a bunch of PowerPoint the last time around. Apparently what I bought was a modicum whereas what Hobie bought was a bunch. Ten thousand rounds is a lot of PowerPoint. I assume a lot of that flew out of the business end of a Model 62. That's peggin' the fun meter right there.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.