Two vintage pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Two vintage pics

Post by olyinaz »

I've been cleaning up over at my Dad's place for weeks now, trying to get it ready to put on the market. It's been like an Easter egg hunt - no telling what I'll find any day. My folks were depression era people and they didn't throw away anything! All stored and boxed up neatly. :roll: My Mom and Dad are surely laughing from up above!

At any rate, I found these two pics today. First is of my maternal Grandma's brother taken in 1910. Winchester 1894 proudly displayed, a nice bowie knife on his belt, and a top break double action pistol on the other side too. I suspect the pistol is a Smith & Wesson, but weren't there a bunch of copy cat top breaks on the market by that time? (It doesn't look like a large caliber pistol.) I have no idea what the heck Uncle George was up to, but I suspect that the photo was Theodore Roosevelt inspired.

Second shot is of my maternal Grandpa (on the left) after a good day's hunting! Not sure who the other feller is, but it may be my Great Grandpa as I can't tell how old Grandpa is (anywhere from 15 to 20 I'd guess) in the photo and it's not dated but I'm guessing approximately 1905. Can someone tell me what kind of shotguns those are? I won't even hazard a guess.

I sure got a kick out of these! Hope you do too.

Best,
Oly
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Two vintage pics

Post by kimwcook »

Great photos. The first one looks like your great uncle is a mixture of styles infantry and cowboy. Can't help you with the shotguns.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The shotguns both look like Winchester Model 1897/97's IMHO - a staight grip, checkered, Deluxe on the right.

It may be the pic, my 'puter, or my eyes - but the top-break's cylinder's rear looks different than a Smith (but, whadda I know).

Neat pics.

airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Dinna know about the gun on the left, but I believe the other is a higher grade Model 10 Remington. My Dad's plain Model 10 is in my cabinet, and his Duxbak canvas hunting coat hangs on an old coat rack in my room. (We dint need no stinkin' camouflage...)

GREAT pictures! Thanks so much.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

What a great find! family history is precious. 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Gun on the right could be Rem 10, but the pic would have to be later than 1905. Model 10's weren't made until 1908. Gun on the left looks like '97.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Priceless pictures :D :D

Thanks for sharing.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great photos. Love your Uncle George's gaiters. We don't have enough gaiters in the world today.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Your Grandpa's gun is definitely a 97. See the button on the side of the receiver that lets you open the action without letting the hammer all the way down? I've always thought that more hunting accidents happened with the 97 than all other guns put together.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Loke
Levergunner

Post by Loke »

Can you tell if the shotguns have exposed hammers? The one on the left looks like a Winchester model 97 if it does.
Judge a person not for how they act, but for who you can help them become.