Lot of people smokin crack!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Lot of people smokin crack!

Post by Bridger »

I haven't paid any attention to Winchester 94 prices in quite some time-but I got to looking around on gunbroker and there are guns on there that wouldn't have been worth $150 seven or eight years ago and now seem to be valuable collector pieces lol. Are these folks actually getting that kind of money for those guns?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lot of people smokin crack!

Post by Streetstar »

Bridger wrote:I haven't paid any attention to Winchester 94 prices in quite some time-but I got to looking around on gunbroker and there are guns on there that wouldn't have been worth $150 seven or eight years ago and now seem to be valuable collector pieces lol. Are these folks actually getting that kind of money for those guns?

Depends on the rifle i guess, My experiences with Winchester 94 prices and purchases from GunBroker in the last year or two are as follows :

I picked up an 80's model Ranger (pre-safety, but still an AE) in like new condition for $300 -- 350 after FFL fees and postage -- i felt really good about that purchase

Picked up a 1947 .32 Winchester Special carbine for $500 even in very good condition --- again, felt it was a fair deal

Model 94 .45 Colt Trapper -- have bought 2 of these, 1 in like new shape for $500, the other a little rougher for $450 --- once again, both pretty fair deals for the times we are livin in

In all cases, i would have been comfortable paying a little more even for these rifles, except for the $450 Trapper -- i didnt totally get hosed, but i'll just say that it makes a fine "truck rifle" and leave it at that

Nowadays $300- $450 for AE guns is commonplace if they are nice --- pre 64's are routinely at least $600 if they are decent, but thats a bargain compared to buying a new Winchester for 1k plus
----- Doug
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

It depends on where you are and where you're looking. Prices tend to run the gamut.
Old Law Dawg
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

They're not as high as they were two years ago! Still, they have risen. I found a like new 94AE in .30-30 (no tang or cross bolt safety) for $360 recently. I took a photo of it with my phone, emailed it to a pal, he called me in about two minutes and I bought it for him and had the shop ship it to his dealer. In other words, we both thought that was a pretty good deal.

One shop locally had a pre-64, long wood forearm Mod. 94 in .32 WS in just great shape for $480 for months! I mulled and mulled and finally it disappeared. I consider it my loss and I think that was a fair price.

Same shop recently had a birch stocked Marlin (fugly honey yellow wood to boot) for $220 in great shape. It sold right quick.

I guess it just depends on your area.

Cheers,
Oly
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bridger, you can't tell a thing from what gunbroker stuff is advertised for because so many adds are just sucker adds. What you might want to do is go to the "advanced search" feature and look at winchester 94s that closed in the last (say 60 days), exclude "reserve price" things because most of those didn't sell even if they got some bids, select to arrange these by number of bids, and you can look at what things actually sold for as opposed to "looking for a sucker" prices. I just did this (your question got me wondering) and it looks like in the last 60 days there have been over 10,000 model 94s advertised (but remember that a bunch of these were "gaming for a sucker" ads and so the same gun has been in 8 times in the last 60 days). About 200 sold. Just scanning through I saw some right decent buys in the "shooter" types that I might have been interested in. Collectors are paying big bucks for old/rare in minty condition, but like Oly says, you can get a shooter for a decent price.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I guess I'm the dumb one that drives market prices up.

I don't care to haggle.

When I see a gun I like and the price is fair (I didn't say good), I lay down the cash.

I don't like screwin' around. Just gimme the gun.

:!: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

FWiedner wrote:I guess I'm the dumb one that drives market prices up.

I don't care to haggle.

When I see a gun I like and the price is fair (I didn't say good), I lay down the cash.

I don't like screwin' around. Just gimme the gun.

:!: :lol:

Your philosophy roughly mimics mine ----- with the time and energy it takes to be messing around with haggling and/or waiting -- i can be shooting or doing something else that improves my life and makes me happy or makes me money :P (but i try to keep up with pricing enough to not get blatantly ripped)
----- Doug
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pawn shop prices here for good to very good post-64 94s in the mid $200s ...