Who shoots a brown bess ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Who shoots a brown bess ?

Post by barbarossa »

Been toying with the idea of buying a Long Land Brown Bess for target shooting and after a lot of practice deer hunting.Anyone shoot one .
Hobie

Re: Who shoots a brown bess ?

Post by Hobie »

I have one of the short barrel (30") "carbines".

Would I do anything differently? Yes. I'm not going to be a reenactor. I'd get a lighter fusil de chasse or a smooth rifle. The musket bore is more than I needed. It is fun though. I need to work on mine more. I'm not happy with the flash hole size and feel inadequate to actually modify the thing.

I have killed squirrels and a groundhog with it (shot loads) but no deer although I have hunted with it. I think the .690" ball is the way to go. Somebody suggested the .735" ball and it is too tight as is even the .715" ball. You aren't going to get rifle accuracy anyway and ease of loading is critical and impossible with the larger balls. I have heard some use such as Brenneke slugs loaded but that defeats the purpose of the gun for me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
1894c

Re: Who shoots a Brown Bess ?

Post by 1894c »

I can't believe that you made a post about a "Brown Bess"--my friend and I were talking about the American Revolution today and he brought up the subject of the "Brown Bess" (I didn't even think any one would even bother with this rifle)--that's amazing--you guys must have over-heard our conversation--thank you for the info and input...would love to hear more ... :)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, if you would imagine a 12 ga. shotgun with a 42-44" barrel on the end of which might be a 16" bayonet you have an idea of what a musket is. For hunting, I think the full musket is a bit much. Here in the east a 20 ga. bore is more than adequate and appropriate. But, that's just my opinion, it really comes down to whatever floats your boat.

There is another forum that has a large number of contemporary builders, AmericanLongrifles.org.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

This is the model I m interested in a First model with a 46in barrel , custom made with correct markings.Only problem I have is it is quite pricy and I have to choose either that or a
Shiloh 1863 percussion Sharps Sporter which I would have made in 45cal instead of 54.I had one in 45cal years ago(military version) and what I liked about it was that you could shoot all the cast bullets made for a 45/70 etc in it and I have lots of moulds for that.If I got the Shiloh I could also buy the Pedersoli Mortimer flint shotgun,the problem is I really like that besss practical or not.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

barbarossa wrote:This is the model I m interested in a First model with a 46in barrel , custom made with correct markings.Only problem I have is it is quite pricy and I have to choose either that or a
Shiloh 1863 percussion Sharps Sporter which I would have made in 45cal instead of 54.I had one in 45cal years ago(military version) and what I liked about it was that you could shoot all the cast bullets made for a 45/70 etc in it and I have lots of moulds for that.If I got the Shiloh I could also buy the Pedersoli Mortimer flint shotgun,the problem is I really like that besss practical or not.

Custom makes a big difference in my book. But, I'm not telling you which to get. I suspect you'll use the Sharps more.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Betterluckytg
Levergunner

Post by Betterluckytg »

Howdy;
I owned a Bess back in the '80's when doing a little buckskinning. Not reenacting, serious stuff, just having fun w/ the old guns, studying the history, stuff like that. Anyway, I ended up cutting the barrel to more or less emulate the weapons used by Roger's Rangers. Much handier that way, and the "buck and ball" load they used was devastating on targets. Never did take any game with it. It was an educational experience, and one that I'm glad I had. It did gobble a LOT of lead though, something that you might take into consideration. Pure lead isn't nearly as easy to procure nowadays as it was then.

Like Hobie, all things considered, I do believe I'd take the Sharps and the Mortimer replica and run. To be honest, I'd take an 1874 Sharps in 45/70, and then run howling into the wilderness... eeeeeeHAAA!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've had a couple of Besses, a cut-down Miroku that was a wonderful shooter, and a Pedersoli. I don't think Besses get enough credit. They can be reasonably accurate out to 70 yards or so with a patched round ball, and most pattern very well with a shot load once you find your gun's sweet spot. If you solder on a basic rear sight, they are easier to shoot with the ball. I know of several guys in Canada who regularly fill their moose tags with Besses.
By the way, if you make up paper cartridges as illustrated in Sketchbook 76, the Besses are fast to load.