S&W ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

S&W ?

Post by azmark »

Smith and Wesson is perceived as the epitome of quality revolvers. Is this actually true? I've heard several opinions to the contrary but I wanted to ask the question directly.
Mark Dickinson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W ?

Post by Rusty »

They are in my opinion for what my opinion is worth. Some like the older ones better than the current manufactured ones.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

What type of revolver and when? :wink: S&W revolvers of different eras have their adherents and detractors just as do Colts, etc... Nothing really wrong with the revolvers as a rule. Just depends on what you want in a revolver.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

They were at the top of the heap until the Clinton agreement, MIM parts and the key locks.
Now the are at the bottom of my list and will remain there.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

No doubt they are fine revolvers!
I really do like their triggers and they do indeed have that sexy look(like a 29/629)
Have to say for just pure function and ruggedness Ruger to me has always been the best bang for the buck.
Probably the Freedom Arms single actions rate tops in the best for Quality and also for being about the most accurate.
And for that just very special fine elegant gun(a colt single action/or a double action python) well? we most all would love one?

But the S&W's are fine indeed!
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

They still make a quality product that will outlast it's original purchaser and his kids and kids kids. True they aren't as finely finished as say a pre-war example. But then again, they sure don't make cars as well as they did say sixty years ago, too much plastic and electronics that are designed to fail in today's cars.

Truthfully, until you get into uber expensive things like the Korth do you find the amount of hand fitting that those earlier Smith's possesed. And, if Smith & Wesson put that many man hours into the building of a revolver, it would cost as much as a Korth.

We can bemoan the loss of quality, but reality is that if we still had that level of quality, very few of us would be able to afford to own a handgun.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Jeepnik beat me to it --- but i was about to say Korth and MAnurhin were actually at the top with quality surpassing the Python -- the Python is nicer than the SW's -- but they also haven't been manufactured for years and years

Currently - as far as domestic double action revolvers go - i could you could say Smith is it , but diehard Ruger fans would also argue otherwise

I am just assuming you were talking about Double Action revolvers since you mentioned Smith. In the Single Action world, Freedom Arms trumps everyone, with USFA and Colt still doing beautiful work
----- Doug
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I think that you would be hard pressed to find double action revolvers better than those built by Smith & Wesson. Even with the locks and modern manufacturing methods, S&W has a very good product. Calling them the epidome of revolver manufacturing might be pushing it but they are definitely well built, quality revolvers.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

There is a cult of Colt Python collectors as they too are fine revolvers. One my friends belongs to that cult, but recently told me that the Smith is easier to shoot accurately because of the lock time which is half that of the Python! He also collects and shoots Smiths.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

IMO and it's just that, S&W's are the best of what they are and the market they serve. Pythons are a beautiful revolver, but you'll pay for it too. I like my Smiths and they've never let me down. I don't own a lockable and probably won't. That big hole in the side of that beautiful revolver just turns my stomach.
Old Law Dawg
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

I don't know about being the best but I really like my S&W 28 Highway Patrolman. 4" .357 N-frame :D
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I only owned two S&Ws, both K-frames, a nickle mdl 19 and a SS mdl 65. But in times past, I've been issued a mdl 10 and a mdl 13... and every one of the four has been superb. Wish I still had the mdl 13, probably the most accurate of the four, tho' my mdl 65 is as good as I am, or ever was!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Cruise
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cruise »

I have an older K-22 and a newer Model 60 Pro Series w/3" BBL. Both superlative pieces.
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

I do like Revolvers....Smiths are great......here are some

Pre-17....1967 17-3.....34-1
27-2 5" and 13-3 3"
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Smiths are tops. Colts are great, but what hurts colt is the common preception that they get out of time quicker than smiths. On top of that what really hurts is that it`s hard to find really good gunsmiths that know how to work on the more complicated colts.
Colt isnt into building DA revolvers anymore, thats part of the reason with finding a gunsmith. In my opinion colt USED to be the better or smiths equal years ago, especialy with the pythons and old model troopers. I have got better accuracy shooting off the bench with colts than smith. I own plenty of both. When colt quit building large caliber DA revolvers at world war two is where they made the mistake competeing with smith.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Just for the fun of it, first picture is a S&W 25-5 in 45 colt and a python.
Secound one is a S&W 66-3 and the nickle python. They all will do the job.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Here is a set of smiths. A 27-2 and a 29-2 in the rare 5" barrel. 357 mag and 44 mag. Had smith engrave my name in gold when I bought it back in 1971.
The 2nd picture is all .44 specials, my favorite caliber.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Just compare ANY 'Smith to the junk thats out there and you will see why 'Smiths are the s&&$!

Booger Bill, I like your 44 Spls. Here's a few of my favorites---Triplelock Target, Colt Shooting Master and a newer (1980's) 4" 1950 target----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

You have nice classic stuff!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A Smith just naturally fits my hand like no other. It was the first handgun I ever owned, a M64. I then went on to own at different times 36's,13, 19's, 66, 27, 28, 29, 57, 58,17, 65,649. I've owned several Colts, and a few Rugers but nothing feels like it fits like a Smith. I even had a Python for a while and didn't care for it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Wow guys...real nice smiths!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My model 18 I got from a forum member.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have bet my life on them more than once.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Howdy

I own so many S&W revolvers I have lost count, so I am a little bit biased.

But the reason I became a S&W collector is that I too believe they are the finest revolvers that were ever made in this country. S&W was always a leader in innovation. First cartridge revolvers manufactured in this country. When their exclusive patent on cartridge revolvers expired about 1870 they already had their completely new Top Break design ready for the market and caught Colt and everybody else flat footed. By 1905 they had perfected the Hand Ejector design which was to become the most successful police revolver for most of the 20th Century. Yes, everything S&W made before WWII was finished as well as a modern custom revolver. Yes, if they put that kind of effort into them today, nobody could probably afford them. That's why I like the older Smiths. I do own one modern Smith complete with MIM parts and the lock. One of the ten shot Stainless 617 Models. In truth, I prefer my Model 17 made in 1975.

Yes, Ruger guys will claim that Rugers are tougher, and that is probably true.

But Smiths, particularly older ones, are works of art.

That's why I collect them.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

At one time I had over 40 S&W revolvers in my collection. None of them was newer than mid 80's, and all of them were wonderfully built in my opinion. I've sold most of them off over the years, but still own enough to enjoy.
In my opinion, from the 1980's back there was no finer revolver than a S&W. Never owned any of the newer ones, so don't have an opinion on them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/