Gunshot sound levels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Gunshot sound levels

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've been curious about this subject recently for good reason. We live in a rural area on five acres, but the homes on larger parcels around us are inconveniently near our property line for best relations to endure much if any gunfire, even if directed in a perfectly safe way.
It turns out that most firearms seem to fall into a relatively narrow and loud window of decibel ratings, whether handgun, shotgun or rifle. In fact, a 7mm Mag is not as loud as a 12 gauge shotgun with an 18-inch barrel.
The following site shows a variety of readings. Note the .357 and the .30-06 in an 18-inch barrel!

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

The site does not rate rimfires, nor does it rate especially small caliber rifles (think .25-20, .32-20) or low-velocity cast-bullet handloads.
Anyway, here I was thinking I'd do my part for neighborly relations by using a 12-gauge slug on the bear in the back yard, when in fact it might be louder than a .308.
Muzzle brakes and barrel lengths do affect the ratings, but going subsonic with cast slugs out of a rifle barrel would apparently be the best choice to keep noise as low as possible. Not sure where muzzleloaders would fit in all this, but very likely the crack of a .490 round ball at 1600 would generate its share of dBs.
I know, a suppressor works wonders, but at $200 and the long wait for the transfer license plus the cost of the suppressor itself, we're talking a chunk o' change.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gunshot sound levels

Post by FWiedner »

It's against the law to hunt with a suppressor where I live, whether you've got a stamp or not.

Probably got more to do with preventing poaching than protecting the neighbors from either noise or projectiles.

I don't think it's legal to shoot on a parcel less than 10 acres either, but that's a community standard, not state or federal.

I think I'd end up buying a bow to address your bear. Quiet.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

FW: I have a bow. I'm just concerned Mr. Bruin would not be cooperative enough to expire inside my property line, even if double lunged ...

:|
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Not trying to be silly here, but wasn't there some discussion of air-guns here a while back?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Would imagine your State has a law that regulates discharge of a firearm within so many feet from someone's home and or cabin if occupied other than their own.

Example: NYS it's 500ft in any direction from any home someone resides in.
But, just talk to them about it.Verify if that is the case? See what is(legal) and ask em if a shotgun blast wacking a bear with ruffle their feathers.(If it is Legal whichever way,it's your call)
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

FWiedner wrote:Not trying to be silly here, but wasn't there some discussion of air-guns here a while back?

I think so, but IIRC we all decided they were a little inadequate for bear hunting. :P
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Hey, Bill, cant you just call your state Game & Fish department and have them come over and live trap the critter?
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I'm in an arera that has about the same human density. Only here about half of us do shoot. Mostly target. I personally don't like to disturb an nice evening backyard bar-b-q, but there are plenty chilly or cloudy evenings to take a few shots without complaint. I think the shootists in the neighborhood want to keep the tradition going. It would be the newcommers who don't expect it. I wonder if you can be ticketed for shooting close to your own home?

Owen
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Guys, I think I'm legal to shoot here; safety is of course the primary focus. But when it took three rounds of 16-gauge out of the Auto 5 to kill my turkey last spring, the local phones started ringing. I could ask ODFW about dealing with a nuisance bear, but it chafes my tookas that I've paid good money for my bear and deer tags ...

:lol:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

There was one of the levergunners that built a king-sized suppressor barrel on his personal range.

Maybe if you built one of those on your personal range and your bear bait just happened to be 'in line'... :wink:

:idea:

hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Be respectful, but shoot if it's legal.

Owen
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

jnyork wrote:
FWiedner wrote:Not trying to be silly here, but wasn't there some discussion of air-guns here a while back?

I think so, but IIRC we all decided they were a little inadequate for bear hunting. :P
I think they will handle any bear that comes along:
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."