.357 Winter Shoot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

.357 Winter Shoot

Post by oldgerboy »

Here's the rifle ...
Here's the first target ... I tried three different loads with Lil Gun and 185 grain Beartooth WFNGC bullets.
Here's the second target with the same three loads ... 15, 15.5, and 16 grains
The range was foggy today. That's why I had to put the black lines on the targets. I'm not thrilled whth the results. The 15 grain load seems to be the most accurate but will go back out another day when it is clear. I want to use this rifle on a hog hunt the end of March.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

What was the range? Did you size your barrel? Maybe you need a larger/softer bullet, or a faster powder?
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

If you want to make more visible targets, you can buy black craft paper in 3-foot wide rolls. I've gotten it in children's stores. Usually I buy about 10' of it, it lasts forever, and is very cheap. I usually pre-cut it into differing size squares. Then at the range depending on what I'm shooting, I just glue one or more to a white piece of paper (usually cheap graph paper). It takes just a few seconds to make a good target.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Cheap targets

Post by afish4570 »

For years I cut the top & bottom out of a large Tomato Juice or #10 can (most people call them gal. cans---really 3 qts.)that iI scrounge from trash behind a restaurant. Dollar Store or Wal.Mart $1 black paint & you are in business. Made a few up last week & the better l/2 complained of paint smell getting into house..... The cutting of Black paper.....15# felt called "tar paper" in days of old should be a dry, quiet method and also cheap. $$$store or old scissors periodically cleaned with WD40 or kerosene should keep clean enough. an old compass to draw circles or ruler to cut off some squares and you are in business. afish4570 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
afish4570
johnly
Levergunner 1.0

Post by johnly »

You can get black foam plates at most party supply stores. Shooting them in the rain doesn't bother them(I live in Oregon, so that's important).

Reverse your paper target and hold the plate onto the target with a push pin, and away you go.

John
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Nice report! You are right at what I like to call the "FUN" stage of owning a rifle, and that is finding a pet load. Hang in there, your getting close. Better weather will help also.