High Hopes, and a Low Wall -- But no game...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

High Hopes, and a Low Wall -- But no game...

Post by Old No7 »

Well the Red Fox season opened up on Monday, so I had high hopes to bag one today with the new Low Wall in 17 HMR that I got earlier this year.

I made several stands using my FoxPro Spitfire, but nothing came in...

Ah well, it was a great day to be out in the woods... The air was crisp and cool, some of the trees were still colorful, and the l'il Low Wall carried like a dream in one hand. And I have to admit, the 32 Mag SP101 in my shoulder holster felt comforting too -- you guys will know what I mean -- you hope to never need it, but it's there.

In the spirit of Nath -- our fox hunting guru from across the pond -- I snapped a couple of pix to share with you all. But sorry, no fox in these... Not yet! :wink:
Low Wall 17 woods 01 (Medium).jpg
Low Wall 17 woods 02 (Medium).jpg
And for those who may be interested, I found these neat ammo strips which hold (10) 17 HMR rounds each. Makes it really easy to carry extra rounds, and they don't jingle or get lost.
17 HMR ammo strips (Medium).jpg
Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: High Hopes, and a Low Wall -- But no game...

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like you had a nice walkabout. Good on you and nice looking low wall.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thats a beaut!! very nice. Looking forward to hearing how that neat rig does on the fox. I have yet to see one this year yet. very nice.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Beautiful rifle and great photos, please let us know when and how it performs on Reynard.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice, always wanted to drive there in the fall, but wont be till next year. How much does your LW weigh? How is the 17HMR for shooting with no ear plugs? 3leg PS Where did you the cartridge holder at ?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sure is a pretty rifle!

I spent the whole weekend working!

Like they say;
A day in the woods is better than a day at the office.
No matter what the outcome.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks for the look and comments all.
3leggedturtle wrote:"How much does your LW weigh?"
The specs say it is 8 pounds; I've never weighed mine, but it may be a little lighter than that (then again, it does have a tiny hole for the bore...)
3leggedturtle wrote:"How is the 17HMR for shooting with no ear plugs?"
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question yet... All my shooting so far, has been at the range while wearing muffs. But to be honest, I'm not sure how to answer that once I do get to shoot at game -- as I barely "hear" my 3" 12 gauge when I shoot at turkeys.
3leggedturtle wrote:"PS Where did you the cartridge holder at?"
Just do a search on ebay for "17 HMR" and you will see the listing for these QuickStrip 22 Mag/17 HMR Strips. They are $8.49 plus $2 shipping for a 2 pack. I think it's a pretty slick gadget/accessory.

Tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH