Winchester model 69.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Winchester model 69.

Post by gamekeeper »

I popped into my local dealers today and found a Model 69 bolt action .22 that he'd forgotten he had.
The safety did not engage so he asked me to take it home and see if I could fix it, well I didn't need asking twice. :wink:
A quick go with a bore snake and the bore gleamed, the magazine was a bit stiff and the fifth round stuck and did not feed, a little cleaning and lube soon fixed that.
I reckon this rifle has not been shot for decades, it came from a collector with a lot of other old and neglected Winchesters. Anyway I loaded her up with CB longs and tried her out, it was spot on but felt gritty so I stripped it down and got rid of years of neglect, the safety worked fine after smoothing out a burr.
Took it out to the barn and tried it with .22 shorts and .22 LR sub sonics and it shoots better than my 9422 :o I think RR has a Model 69 and likes it too.
I have to take it back tomorrow and talk about the price but I'm thinking it just might be worth going through all the paperwork and three months waiting for the police to OK it. :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester model 69.

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had a scope-grooved Model 69-A for about the last 35 years, and it's NEVER failed to put 5 CCI Small Game Bullets (SGB's) into 3/8" @ 50 yds when I do my stuff.

It's every bit as accurate as my Belgian Browning Deluxe T-Bolt, which surprised me.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My Dad has a 69a. His first .22 and still has it.

It's a real tack driver but he did have a problem with the safety.
When he got it the rifle would fire when he flipped off the safety.

He sent the bolt back to Winchester. They fixed it and it never happened again.

Super accurate rifles.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 Chromebolt 69A my first too, ca 1959-60, and as good as it gets. Mine hasn't been shot in awhile and could probably benefit from a thorough cleaning too.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

GK,

In three months you'll have a sweet little bolt action rifle that YOU know is clean and functional.
What's three months and little bit of paper work?

I think in about 90 days we should be reading stories of successful squirrel or fox or rabbit hunts with your new 69.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

G Keeper,

I'll try & post a link to a video on cleaning & polishing the bolt on a similiar type rifle.
I followed the instructions on the video and really cleaned up a bolt.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-polis ... le-204324/

I hope the link works and is beneficial.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Got mine as a Christmas present 54 years ago. It was my first rifle and will be my last. I love it but the local p-dogs hate it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nobody I know would willingly give up a 69 they've owned and shot. I have a 72 and it is a shooter and I won't let it go.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

I also have a Model 69 (open bolt) with a peep sight and the requisite 5 shot magazine. It was the first rifle I picked myself over 30 years ago and I still have it...and it still the best, most accurate rifle I own!

I may lose all my levers (God forbid) but I will always have my little 69! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have had My 69 for over 40 years, super tack driver. I have a 5 rnd and a 10 rnd mag for it.
As U know they don't have ser #s so I put My ss # on it, did I mention I have had it for over 40 yrs.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

2ndovc wrote:My Dad has a 69a. His first .22 and still has it.

It's a real tack driver
Super accurate rifles.

jb 8)
my dad, too - bought for his 5th birthday in 1934.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My dealer thinks it's highly collectable, I tried to tell him it's too beat up and there ain't that many Winchester collectors over here anyway, so I still haven't been given a price on it yet :roll: but thank you all for helping me spend my hard earned cash :lol: I suppose I will have to buy it now! :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When you actually get possession, you can sing:

Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me,
Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas - Merry Christmas to me ! . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

You had better buy it :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Get it! :lol:
"That'll Be The Day"
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

late 69A grooved

1940 69A Match
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote: What's three months and little bit of paper work?
Too darn long! :evil:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Well John, you could have told him it wouldn't clean up or smooth out at all and was almost worthless, cause it wouldn't shoot worth a darn...

Then you could have taken 2 to 3 weeks to clean it... To look less eager and to claim to have "many hours invested" in the clean-up, to use as leverage for a lower price...

Or maybe you have held on to it hoping the dealer forgot about it again???

Either way, good luck with the purchase!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Well it looks like I have no choice, thanks guys, I will make an offer tomorrow and see how it goes!
I guess I had better start the paperwork :roll:
Next on the list will be an aperture sight like JohnB and kevin in nh has on their 69s and a couple of spare magazines, I have a feeling this is going to cost me a fair bit.

I should have known better than post to a bunch of "enablers". :lol:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I actually bought an aperature sight for a model 69 like the one posted and I have it in my gun bag waiting for the right model 69 to come along. It sounds like you have made the right decision. I wish you much happiness with it. Not sure what you expected with this group of enablers but they came through in spades!!! :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Friend mine was a peach, good trigger and very fine rifling. The clip handles shorts too!
Underated over here I think.

Good luck, bit jealouse :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Heck just tell your dealer they aren't rare at all. Around here most families have a barrel of them in the attic. We get 'em out in Dec. and hang em on the tree for ornaments.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

GK, I don't have the link handy but over at RFC there's a 69 thread in the Winchester section that's worth checking out.

If it's a 69A, you should buy it and part it out becuase I need the bolt for my 75 project rifle... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

awp101 wrote:GK, I don't have the link handy but over at RFC there's a 69 thread in the Winchester section that's worth checking out.

If it's a 69A, you should buy it and part it out becuase I need the bolt for my 75 project rifle... :lol:
It's a Model 69, cocks on closing made, I think made in 1936.
I have checked RFC and also read just about everything I can find on this model.
My dealer still has not put a price on it but I have told him "it's mine" I think he will give me fair deal eventually :roll:
Good luck with your search for a bolt. :wink:
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

game keeper wrote:Well it looks like I have no choice, thanks guys, I will make an offer tomorrow and see how it goes!
I guess I had better start the paperwork :roll:
Next on the list will be an aperture sight like JohnB and kevin in nh has on their 69s and a couple of spare magazines, I have a feeling this is going to cost me a fair bit.

I should have known better than post to a bunch of "enablers". :lol:
Buyer beware - the original Winchester mags are EXPENSIVE! Heck even the Brownells are pretty pricey...

Yep, I love my peep sights. It is a tack driver...
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Our first .22 was a 69-A that Dad bought used for $25.00 for my brother and me to learn to shoot with. Somehow little bro ended up with it and has not shot it in years, if ever since he got it. It shot great. To ease the loss of this rifle I bought Remington 512-X and it has filled the void of the missing Winchester. it's not as nice but it is just as accurate.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Here is My 69 that I have had for close to 40 yrs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

My Winchester Model 69 is the only rifle I inherited from my father. I love the peep like rear sight. So easy to work on too. My brother stored it in his attic (!!!!) for about 20 years, but when I got it from him it still cleaned up well. I would like to find a few extra magazines for it, however no luck so far. Fun to shoot and accurate as can be. Was my favorite until I shot a Model 63.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

lthardman wrote:My Winchester Model 69 is the only rifle I inherited from my father. I love the peep like rear sight. So easy to work on too. My brother stored it in his attic (!!!!) for about 20 years, but when I got it from him it still cleaned up well. I would like to find a few extra magazines for it, however no luck so far. Fun to shoot and accurate as can be. Was my favorite until I shot a Model 63.
If you can make your way to one of the big gun shows, the larger "clip" vendors will likely have a magazine or two for you.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have its single shot brother .... the Model 68. It was the rifle my mother learned to shoot when she was a girl. When I was 12 or 13 it became the rifle I learned with. Here's a photo ...

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Kirk, that model 68 is in beautiful condition, I wish the 69 I'm buying had been looked after half as well.

One thing I have noticed about mine is the rear sight is way down the barrel compared to photos of others I have seen, it has a dovetail in the rear of the receiver with a "Parker Hale" blank fitted, so at sometime it has had different sights, it has also been stamped with a serial number along with the British proof marks.
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

Kirk, here is your 68's cousin the 67. This was my first firearm, my Dad gave it to me Christmas of my 13th birthday. Its the one in the middle. Thats a Remington 33 and a old Marlin on its sides. .DT

Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, the magazines are identical/interchangeable between all Winchester Model 52's, 69's, 69a's & 75's.

Both Midway & Brownell's carry aftermarket 5-shot mags for about $12US.

Several others make/market 10-shot mags.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, the magazines are identical/interchangeable between all Winchester Model 52's, 69's, 69a's & 75's.

Both Midway & Brownell's carry aftermarket 5-shot mags for about $12US.

Several others make/market 10-shot mags.

Thanks.
I checked MidwayUK and they only do the single shot adapter at £48.00 :shock: MidwayUSA have 5 shot mags but don't ship to the UK :(