What happens when you shoot a Rem 870 in the dark?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

What happens when you shoot a Rem 870 in the dark?

Post by vancelw »

You figure out real quick you need a better light!
Hog 2011-10-09.jpg
I went to sit in my stand tonight. Got all settled in and it started to look a little rainy :shock: Haven't seen rain in a while, but that's what it looked like. So, I whip out my Blackberry, finally get a signal, and sure enough-the radar shows alot of green headed my way.
Well, I don't mind hunting in the rain but I didn't anticipate it and had not prepared, so I headed back the house. My daughter and her husband were in visiting from 200 miles away anyhow, so I was feeling a little guilty. :|

What do you know, it never rained by dark and the wind (that has blown for days) stopped. I looked out my bedroom window and there were 3 deer eating persimmons in my front yard. Ugh.

About and hour and a half after dark, the wife and I are seeing the kids out the door and to their car when I hear a pig squeal. :!: Wife heard it too.

I get my ubershotgun and tiptoe to the woods. It's raining now and the ground is just getting wet. The leaves and grass that were dry and brittle are now silent when I step on them. I would of made Lone Watie proud. I'm also fully aware that I am barelegged and trying to sneak up on feral hogs.I had already shed my long britches and was watching TV in my lounging wear.

I get within 30 yards of my feeder and I hear another squeal. My light comes on and a pig bites the dust :D Literally. Actually.
Pigs scatter everywhere and I follow through with the shotgun, but I'm casting shadows everywhere so I don't shoot again. I don't want to leave any wounded ones to run off and die.

My next purchase is a light with a remote switch that I can move from gun to gun. Or, if I can't find that, one that will stay on my 870 will have to do.

It's going to be a fun deer season, what with varied targets and all. I'm running out of people who want pig meat, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What happens when you shoot a Rem 870 in the dark?

Post by kimwcook »

vancelw wrote:I'm running out of people who want pig meat, though.
That's a good problem to have in your situation isn't it?

Love my Surefire dedicated forend on my AR. It has both a finger activated push switch and a constant on. It's the smaller of the two offered at that time, but it is seriously bright.

Old Law Dawg
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

kimwcook wrote: Love my Surefire dedicated forend on my AR. It has both a finger activated push switch and a constant on. It's the smaller of the two offered at that time, but it is seriously bright.
I guess the next gun show I need to quit looking at guns and look at all the light setups. I missed "Glocktoberfest" at the local LEO supply this past weekend, but I bet I can find an excuse to go look at their wares anyhow :D

I might even build something myself, but I'd have a hard time keeping it water resistant.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

What was loaded in that there 870? :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Nath wrote:What was loaded in that there 870? :D

Nath.
9 pellets of 00 buckshot :D

I had to use the Marine Magnum because it was raining and I didn't want to get any of my precious leverguns rusty :(

I'm going to rig a light holder tonight. If it doesn't work I'll buy a picatinny forearm and get a light mount that works on it. That way I can switch it to different weapons.
In Texas, you can use artificial light on non-game animals on private property. You don't even have to have a license to kill these feral hogs on your own property.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

For a long time I just duc taped a 3 cell mag lite to the barrel of a old H&R I had. Worked pretty good too. Don't see why it wouldn't work on your 870. Ive looked at surefire forends for an 870 and they run around 300 bucks I think. I carry a surefire light on a daily basis but cant afford to drop 300 on a forend right now.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RustyJr wrote:For a long time I just duc taped a 3 cell mag lite to the barrel of a old H&R I had. Worked pretty good too. Don't see why it wouldn't work on your 870. Ive looked at surefire forends for an 870 and they run around 300 bucks I think. I carry a surefire light on a daily basis but cant afford to drop 300 on a forend right now.

RustyJr
There ain't nothing that duct tape and baling wire (or twine) won't fix!

Rather than get sticky tape on everything, I used two zip strips. That will get me by until I decide to buy something else. It aims a smidge to the left but it's better than nothing.
Redneck tactical mount.jpg
Tacstar (Lyman) makes a mount that fits in the sidesaddle. I'm considering it.
I started to mount a short Weaver rail to the forearm and use a weaver scope ring as a light holder, but decided against it.
I think I'm going to get a picatinny rail forend and buy a light mount that I can move from gun to gun. That way I can use it on my pistols and M-4gery, too.
I've seen the Surefire system and yes, it is pricy. I'm not fond or rechargeble stuff. I like things that I can replace the battery in a few short seconds.

I didn't have time to hunt them tonight. (too many meetings) they better watch out tomorrow!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.