OT- The Crosscut Saw

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

OT- The Crosscut Saw

Post by Pitchy »

Like i said in another thread i`m no expert with one of these saws and don`t use them much though we have sawed 8 cord of oak with one.
Thought i`d pass on a couple things that i learned about sharpening one to make it pull easy and cut fast.
First pic is some of my saws that are getting rusty too because Joe won`t get up here and help saw wood. :roll: :lol:

The saw that i`m going to show the teeth on is a saw i made from a ribbon saw that i welded a wider back on, it`s a soft wood saw.

Some of the tools needed to do the job, some are factory made and some are home made.

If your saw is real uneven the first tool you`ll need is a leveler, i made this one that holds a file. You run it the full lenth of the saw to get the teeth all the same height.

After ya get it all even then file the teeth, the trick here is to put a lot steeper angle on the tooth.

After the teeth are all sharp, sharpen the rakers to the same heigth, then take a small hammer and bend over the points until they are about 3-4 thousands lower using a raker gauge.

It should look like this when done.

Also put the set in the teeth either using a spider or more modern tool.

The whole idea is that the steep angle on the teeth will make it gut easier into the wood. The raker is the key though, if you look at your raker the point is stright up, that`s like dragging a chisle accross the wood in the same position. But if ya swage them over it`s like holding a chissle at a angle and your saw will pull easy and make noodles.
Sorry for the poor pics and hope it helps , any other tips would be great. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- The Crosscut Saw

Post by getitdone1 »

Pitchy,

I've run one of those. In fact, more than one. About the first thing you learn is, "no pushing." Been a long time but as I recall it was not a lot of fun. :D

Interesting post.

Don
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Joe's too old and fat to run one of them saws, but he'd give it a shot anyway.

When I first started sharpening chain saw chains I thought it complicated until I bought the tools, read the instructions and did it. After that it was no big deal.

Your tools are antique to match the saws. But your instructions make a lot of sense. I do wish we were closer.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Well as ya can see by the rust, which looks worse from the flash our saws have been on break for a while. The good ole chainsaw is enough work.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice Pitchy.

I allway's takes my rakers down with a grinder on my chain saw, I like big chips. The knack is doing them just enough!

Some folks chains just scate over the wood and then they start pressing on and heating the bar up :roll:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yep me to, first thing i do is take those rakers down a little, i like the saw to feel like she`s a pullin. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Thanks for the great post! My great uncle had a two man saw that he left me and a couple of the tools you showed but he died before showing me how to use them (I was 8) and its just been sitting. I never thought I'd find out how to go about this. It looks I have to make myself a leveler before work tonight. Better get on that, thanks again!

Eric
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Apparently putting 8 then a parenthesis makes a smiley face. Who'd have guessed?

Eric
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have used one a long time ago with my Dad. He knew how to sharpen and set them. As you said don't push, you anly work when you pull and if the saw is set up right you don't work too hard. We were cutting maple and it went pretty good once you figured out the rythem of your partner and could keep up with him. I still prefer my chain saw with my raker filed at about .030 or more. Much easier to hold up on the saw than to force it.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pitchy, if this world goes to stuff in a handbasket you'll be King. Cause you can do just about anything. Ya know what, you should go on the show Survivor. Nobody would get rid of you until they had to. :D
Old Law Dawg
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

kimwcook wrote:Pitchy, if this world goes to stuff in a handbasket you'll be King. Cause you can do just about anything. Ya know what, you should go on the show Survivor. Nobody would get rid of you until they had to. :D
Thanks buddy and the other guys, funny thing is i feel like i`m pretty much a failure in life.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pitchy that's crazy talk. I've seen your stuff here and on other boards, and most of us would give our left ... er ... eyes to have the skills you possess.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Pitchy that's crazy talk. I've seen your stuff here and on other boards, and most of us would give our left ... er ... eyes to have the skills you possess.
I understand what your saying, it`s a health issue causing depression, just sad and don`t fit in the world very good. But that`s ok i`m not supposed to. :wink:
I want to hear about some noodles coming from some saws boys. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

a old bud of mine & his wife held many world champion titles
in hayward wis. with them whez saws, as jack & jill & solo
in the 70s he gave me a lesson bout making a chain saw work for you
i used that ever since, i made a good living for 23 years falling timber
till i some how got to old to do it , keep a sharp chain & dont
knock the rakers down to far

ollogger
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Pitchy, U want Pasta or Egg Noodles ? lol
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

----------Sixgun
kimwcook wrote:Pitchy, if this world goes to stuff in a handbasket you'll be King. Cause you can do just about anything. Ya know what, you should go on the show Survivor. Nobody would get rid of you until they had to. :D

Dang, I could not said it better myself. I thought "I" knew how to keep things going the old fashioned way. Ole' Pitchy makes me look like a novice.

Pitchy, my hat is off to you dude. Thanks for taking the time to post those pics and the great tutorial. :D ----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm wondering if there is anything Pitchy can't do... or doesn't have! 8)
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Pitchy every year I go back in the mtns the trails need clearing to get to my favorite fishing and in the wilderness you cant use a chainsaw so we use one man and 2 man saws some trees that block trails are 2-4' diameter when sawing i use wd40 for lube and I use hardwood wedges after I get a cut going I wedge it then take a axe and drive it in the wood across the cut that keeps the tree from moving and pinching the saw then finish the cut. When I pack them on stock I pull the handles(always pull the handles on a long pack or you better take another set) and use a fire hose thats been split to protect man&beast from cuts then tie it down in a arch over the pack. 2 experienced sawyers with a tuned saw for that wood and a third guy wedging and lubing can move thru wood fast . Most the trees I cut range from alpine spruce, doug/red fir, larch, pines and aspen. I also use a 2' breakdown buck saw and a oregon cut on pull saw with a scabbard for the horse on smaller trees that dont warrant the big saws. I'll get a pic up tomorrow for you of these. danny
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I hear ya loud and clear, buddy. Try to stay positive.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pitchy: I've wrassled with chronic depression for decades now. I can't let up my guard or I end up in the hole. Get a good doctor who'll fit you with the right meds -- and there a lot better ones now -- and you'll be right as rain.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

When I was a kid we had to clean and grease the saws before we put them away. That's some good info on sharpening, I see we have about the same tools.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Pitchy: I've wrassled with chronic depression for decades now. I can't let up my guard or I end up in the hole. Get a good doctor who'll fit you with the right meds -- and there a lot better ones now -- and you'll be right as rain.
I`m on meds from VA doc, been sick since i was in the service then in 89 had a car accident and got a bad concussion and neck injury and it screwed up my head.
Civilian doc said perminant injuries and i agree :roll:
Don`t worry i`m sticking around long enough awaiting the return of the Lord. :D
Thanks you guys for the encouragement it really helps. :D

Kcso, i should post a better picture of the angle on the tooth, it`s extrem and can only be used on a soft wood saw but it`s like a knife cutting butter.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

We have one of those saws , a decoration hanging over a window at camp on the inside . Was a time they were fastened to the outside of the windows to help slow currious bears down .
Before then they were used in the adirondacks a lot.
Then the fancy new stuff came in and the old saws got delegated to decorations for the most part :

Phil
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hey Phil, That chain saw don't got no plastic on it. Must be an optional delusion on my part.
And that engine looks to be almost as big as the 3.5 HP Briggs on my lawn mower.
Most definitely a heavier duty unit than the one I used to have.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yepper cool saw Phil. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Thanks , it is a beast of a saw , made just a few miles from where I live . May try and make it run next time I'm at camp .

Enough of my side track :roll: Back to the Crosscut saws !!

I do like watching the compititions at the Boonville Woodsmans Field days 8)
Phil
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Here`s that picture of the angle i`m talking about, the one in the back is the modified one files to a steep angle.
It cuts better but does make the tooth more fradgle so ya do it on a solf wood saw only.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.