Water quenching cast bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Water quenching cast bullets

Post by hartman »

When you water quench a wheel weight cast bullet it hardens. I have not been quenching my cst bullets and have gotten along pretty well but have not been driving them very fast. I'm wondering if quenching is worth the effort since I am sizing my bullets and knocking off?? the surface hardening?

If anyone has any input I'd be thankful for listening to your input.

Hartman
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I used to sit on a stool and drop hot bullets into a tub with a towel in the bottom. The tub had 3-4 inches of water and the towel kept them from being dented. Every 50 or so bullets, I'd stop casting and pick them out of the water. The only thing you have to watch is to make sure no wet bullets go back into the melt.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't bother with it for most of my shooting. Handguns up to 1200-1400 fps I get along just fine. Leverguns up to 1800-1900 do fine also. When I want some really hard I cast them, size them, then heat them in a wire mesh basket in the oven at 475 degrees for a half hour. Pull them out and drop the whole basket in a sink of cold water. They get very hard! I'll then lube and gascheck them.

Proper bullet fit and quality lube are more important than hardness of the bullet.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I do the same as TedH. I found water droped bullets were not very consistant in their hardness. Oven heat treating can make them too hard for hunting but they shoot very accuratly in my rifles. :D
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I also find that water dropped are not as consistent as oven treated.

One can control the hardness of oven treated simply by not heating them so hot.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I run some straight wheelweight air cooled bullets to 1700 fps, with no problem. So I never saw the need to try dropping them in water.
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

I've went up to a bit over 2200fps in the .308 and .348 with straight WW's, no hardening. Just use a good lube and you'll be fine.

Jeff
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

Thanks fellas, I'll just keep on going the way I've been.

Hartman
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Size them within 24 hours of casting and quenched ones won't work-soften.

My WW + 2% tin is around 13 BHN air cooled and 21 quenched.

Do you or don't you want the bullet to deform on impact? If the bullet fits, neither will lead to 2000fps.

My last 45/70s were air cooled and did way too much damage on whitetails, next time on the whitetails I'll quench them. Smaller hole.

My 357 harvested deer with quenched. Looked like a 3/4" apple corer ran through the animal. Might anneal the noses of next batch for comparison.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I water quench everything, mostly because its a lot easier. I don't have to keep playing around where the past dropped bullets are so you don't dent 'em up. I fill a 5 gallon bucket with about 4 gallons of water and bungie cord a piece of towel with about a 2" hole in it.

I always cast with two moulds, so I use two buckets. I get no leading in any of the guns I shoot. I match the alloy to the velocity used and I size the bullets proper.

I never get dented bullets and my hardness's are the same as I quality control test 'em evry couple of hundred with a hardness tester. In order to keep consistency with weight and hardness, you have to scrap all bullets until you get a hot mould. The mould be be ready-to-go when the bullets sizzle when dropping them in the water.--------Sixgun

Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..