OT- Most famous lawman or outlaw from Texas?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: OT- Most famous lawman or outlaw from Texas?

Post by Terry Murbach »

rangerider7 wrote:Terry, Capt. Manuel Terrazas Gonzaullas's dad was of Spanish-Portuguese descent and was born in Spain as was Cap. The name Gonzaullas is Portuguese, not Spanish. his mother was of German descent from Canada. I have never heard that he was called "Manny". It was ether "Lone Wolf" or Cap. Maybe you were thinking of Manny Gault but you could be right at some time in his life. I met him a few times through a past friend of mine Robert Stephens who wrote one of his biographies. It was some of the most interesting times I have had listening to his stories. RR7
THANK YOU FOR CORRECTING ME, SIR.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

RangeRider.. Bobby NcNellis was probably one of most knowleable folks I have ever known about the old West in general and El Paso history in particular. Many a meeting of local history buffs was held in his shop after hours. Leon Metz would be there and after a copious amount of Whisky would hold court.

Rumor has it, the plot to take Wes Hardin's tombstone into "protective custody" was hatched there. We know for certain, the tombstone mysteriously showed up there after being gone from Hardin's grave for a time. Those that know the truth of the matter still are not talking.

At the time, some of Hardin's shirt tail kin, were filing a law suit to remove his body for reburial in Nixon Texas. They did not prevail in court and Wes is where he was first planted in the old Concordia Cemetary along with a number of other El Paso folks, miscreatants and quality people alike.

Those were good days in El Paso, Bobby was making great gun leather and down the street Walt Melander (NEI) was making great bullet molds.

It really shook me when Bobby died. Walt lit a shuck a few years earlier after running afoul of the Texas Comptroler over some unpaid taxes.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Charles, Bobby certainly had a great deal to do with uncovering much of the Hardin history and the Texas Rangers that lived in El Paso.
"That'll Be The Day"
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

I'd have to go with John Wesley Hardin, Bill Longley and Clay Allison as the worse of the worse from Texas
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

rangerider7 wrote:Charles, I got one of those cards from Bobby along with a few other items years ago. Hardin tried to defend "Killing" Jim Miller in his shooting of Bud Frazier but I can't remember now what happened to the case. All I know is many people thought that Miller killed Pat Garrett. He was hanged in Ada Oklahoma along with three other characters in a barn.
"Killer Miller" was lynched by an angry mob in a livery stable in Guthrie, OK in 1901 along with two cohorts according to Pat McNeil's "Encyclopedia of western gunfighters".

Miller was fond of using a double barrel shotgun from ambush; he's reputed to have killed at least 12 men in that fashion. :roll:
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I believe it was Ada, Oklahoma.

"That'll Be The Day"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Terry Murbach wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:I believe Bill Tillman was from Texas, also. He was a Lawman, mostly, and I believe unless I am remembering wrong, was the lawman that killed John Wesley Hardin. However, it wasn't a fair fight, if there is such a thing, because Tilman shot Hardin in the back of the head, but I don't believe anyone though to badly of Tilman for doing that way.

That's the bad thing about having a reputation, because some people won't chance a confrontation with a true bad man, It's just safer to shoot them first in the back of the head. :D
I THINK IT WAS JOHN SELMAN WHO SHOT HARDIN.
Yes, I was remembering wrong, I should have looked it up. I believe it was Selman
NRA Life Member, Patron
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Looks like those miscretants were choke hung, nasty way to go for some nasty people.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I say John Wesley Hardin and Frank Hamer
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Hammer and Bonnie and Clyde. Bonnie was born a hop and a skip from the ranch where my Dad was born and robbed the bank there. If grandpa had any money, it'd a been in that bank. If it rains I'll be shooting some doves there soon!

Rowena?
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Rowena - When Grandpa gave up ranching he had a steakhouse/beerjoint there. I think they got some rain there and should be shootin birds soon in Lowake. The beerjoint is still there - the Turnrow. I like the fact there is another levergunner that knows Rowena 20cows. I've got a lot of kinfolks in those parts.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have been to and through Rowena many times. I have also driven many a mile to eat a steak at the Lowake Inn when it was still up and going. I have never had a better steak than what they cooked there. When I was a student at Sul Ross, we would drive all the way to Lowake to eat their steaks.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

JWH and Frank Hamer come to mind, first, at least to my mind.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

To quote the book title, "Runnels is My County".

As for rain, I got 6.6 inches last week. :D