So what's on your firearms bucket list?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Re: So what's on your firearms bucket list?

Post by jerry b »

Madman, such things are why I bumped up against the NY border and went no further. I love NY (sounds like a slogan) and spend almost all my time there, but I slip across the border to go home.

But, to avoid hijacking this thread and keeping with no politics, I'll repeat that I have no bucket list. I am happier without a lot of stuff, guns included. What happens when one decides to have only a minimal battery is that everything has to be "perfect". This, unfortunately, opens up another can of worms and makes things just as complex.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

jerry b - i would be interested to hear what your minimalist list is, perhaps via pm or a new thread.

madman, thanks for the link.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'm another one who'd love a big Sharps.

Let's go 45-90 or 45-110 while we're dreamin' - something REALLY
impractical. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I'll cast and paper patch all of my own bullets, too!

-Stretch
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

Shiloh Sharps Billy Dixon Model 45-110
Parker 12 gauge double 26" IC & M
Colt SA Army 7 1/2" barrel
Ruger LCP .380
AR-15 .223

'bout it....

for now.
Happy Trails!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'd like to have another Colt SAA in 44 spl. Had a nickel 4 3/4 " gun years ago and truly miss it. I'd be good with a blued gun, or maybe a 44 spl New Frontier, perhaps set up more like a Flat Top Target. One piece Ivories or rosewood grips. If we're doing bucket, then a little engraving also.

An 86 light rifle, full mag, straight grip, 22" round barrel, shotgun butt, 348 cal. Nice wood, checkered. Lyman receiver sight, either a 38 or 56.

50-70 trapdoor Gemmer style rifle.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I think I have it pretty well covered, except perhaps for a nice BPCR-type of rifle that I may order when I retire. The leading contenders there are Shiloh and Lone Star.

With handguns, I have settled on several basic favorites: Ruger GP100, SP101, and Blackhawk Bisley, Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, Colt SAA, USFA Single Action, Seecamp LWS-32, and several J- and K-frame S&W revolvers. I own multiple examples of several of these. Future purchase are likely to be duplicates or variants of these.

With rifles, I tend to really like the Ruger No. 1 and Mini-14, Browning BLR, and my left-hand Winchester Model 70. I have these. A Winchester or Mirokuchester 1895 Carbine in .30-40 Krag does have my interest, but the compulsion to act is rather weak. More likely, I will add more Ruger single-shots as they catch my interest when new chamberings are offered, and a stainless No. 1 in .45-70 is appealing as a possible future Jeep rifle to team with one of my stainless Mini-14s. (I live near the Texas coast; south winds off the Gulf can mist us with salt, and it is always humid.)

Shotguns are mostly just utilitarian tools to me, and our several Remington 870 pump guns are adequate. Perhaps, I might re-awaken my latent interest in SxS doubles, someday. I have handled a Merkel and an AyA that made me drool.

Really, rather than thinking about buying more firearms, I am thinking about finding a more rural place to live where I can shoot what I have, more often. Retirement is two to about eight years away.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

Anshutz super match of some type
trapdoor springfield
73 win or clone
berdan sharps
03 Springfield
SMLE or other .303 brit
k98
1917 us enfield
CSharps or Shilo cal undetermined
.338 win mag
86 win or clone
Baikal Double rifle or other under 10K
Perhaps an african caliber bolt gun
Last edited by cpt Dan Blodgett on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm fortunate enough to HAVE a Drilling. 16x16/9.3x72R. Got it as a gift from a non-gun guy moving to Cali.

I'm pretty much set on the guns I "want" except maybe for a 7.62 MBR, preferably a Paratrooper length FAL.

Beyond that, the most I'd be interested in is making my Levers into Take Downs and fabbing up some 10rd mags for my 99.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

M92 in 218 Bee and M336 in 219 Zipper for levers. Any Colt SAA in 32/20 or 38/40. Original 30/40 Krag or 7.65x53mm Mauser.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

In reading other folks bucket list, and thinking some more... I'd like to have Joe Reikers double shotgun, english straight stock, something around 26" or 27" with mod and IM chokes... something pretty to carry for birds. Something I certainly don't need, can't afford and would cherish... and love to pass on to my son who loves a nice double also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Although I have no need whatsoever, I would really like to have a .408 Cheytac (and a place to shoot it).

Almost in diametric opposition, I would also love to have a Shiloh. The Shiloh is do-able, the Cheytac is probably not.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:In reading other folks bucket list, and thinking some more... I'd like to have Joe Reikers double shotgun, english straight stock, something around 26" or 27" with mod and IM chokes... something pretty to carry for birds. Something I certainly don't need, can't afford and would cherish... and love to pass on to my son who loves a nice double also!
I've shot many many many nice Winchester Model 12's , Remington 1100's and variouse over unders over the years !

But nothing is as nice to shoot as a nice side by side !
Be it an english gun , Parker Ansley H. Fox or some of the european Pre War guns (atleast for me) .

The only over unders I'd put in the same class as a nice side by side would be the old english Boss and Woodward guns (and this is coming from someone with several nice old Browning Superposed O/U's). I will say the Krieghoff K-32 or K-80 is a wonderfull TARGET gun but hardly a bird gun .

So while I am not familiar with a Reikers double I am sure they must handle nicely !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Ironsights wrote:I'm fortunate enough to HAVE a Drilling. 16x16/9.3x72R.
We're fortunate enough to have acquired a trio of drillings .

The first was a hammer gun my mom gave my dad for Xmas around 1974 . That one is an underlever thats 16-16 and 8x57JR (.318") . We then acquired a nice old Kerner pre war drilling in 16-16 and 7x57R that is hammerless . And the last we got is actually stcoked for e lefty and is a hammer gun made by Kettner I believe in 16-16 and 10.75x65R Collath .

I've shot a round or two of skeet with the Kerner and to say she's choked tight is an understatment ! You either miss or put black clouds in the sky !
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

6pt-sika wrote:

The first was a hammer gun my mom gave my dad for Xmas around 1974 . That one is an underlever thats 16-16 and 8x57JR (.318") . We then acquired a nice old Kerner pre war drilling in 16-16 and 7x57R that is hammerless . And the last we got is actually stcoked for e lefty and is a hammer gun made by Kettner I believe in 16-16 and 10.75x65R Collath .

I've shot a round or two of skeet with the Kerner and to say she's choked tight is an understatment ! You either miss or put black clouds in the sky !
Mine was choked so tight I couldn't run a 28ga swab button through it.... but boy could it reach out there.

Since mine is only a "Guild Gun" and not something particularly rare,I had 86r set me up with a more reasonable Full/Modified pairing. The 9.3x72R is essentially a Black Powder .357 Max. A full case of BP shoves the 200gr cast at about 1600 or so.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had/ have a bunch of '95 Winchesters but the one that keeps eluding me is a .303 Brit SRC.
Seems like when I find one I don't have the cash and when I do I can't find one.

The fun is in the chase I guess.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2ndovc wrote:I've had/ have a bunch of '95 Winchesters but the one that keeps eluding me is a .303 Brit SRC.
Seems like when I find one I don't have the cash and when I do I can't find one.

jb 8)
Dangit JB... you reminded me of the "Impossible Gun".... a Win 95 in 7.62x54R... dangit dangit dangit... :x :oops:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Old Ironsights wrote:
2ndovc wrote:I've had/ have a bunch of '95 Winchesters but the one that keeps eluding me is a .303 Brit SRC.

jb 8)
Dangit JB... you reminded me of the "Impossible Gun".... a Win 95 in 7.62x54R... dangit dangit dangit... :x :oops:
Have that one. :mrgreen:
Had two of them at one time. Foolishly sold one off thinking I could replace it. Man, what a 'Tard I can be!!

It's my favorite '95. Also has a Spanish Loyalist cartouche on the butt Stock. If there was one gun I wish could talk it would be that one. Oh, the stories!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2ndovc wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

jb 8)
Have that one. :mrgreen:
Had two of them at one time. Foolishly sold one off thinking I could replace it. Man, what a 'Tard I can be!!

It's my favorite '95. Also has a Spanish Loyalist cartouche on the butt Stock. If there was one gun I wish could talk it would be that one. Oh, the stories!!

jb 8)
AAAAUUUUGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!! Image

And there's thousands in Russia that our retarded Gooberment won't allow to be imported... Image
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Ironsights wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

Mine was choked so tight I couldn't run a 28ga swab button through it.... but boy could it reach out there.

Since mine is only a "Guild Gun" and not something particularly rare,I had 86r set me up with a more reasonable Full/Modified pairing. The 9.3x72R is essentially a Black Powder .357 Max. A full case of BP shoves the 200gr cast at about 1600 or so.

Our 7x57R should be easy to get going , but I'm more inclined to mess with the 10.75x65R Collath which is nothing more then a 444 Marlin stretched maybe a 1/16th to and 1/8th of an inch and typically loaded with a 200 grain lead bullet !

I think that gun with a semi stiff load of XMP5744 behind the "Dutch's 434-207GC" in the 10,75x65R Collath and a double load of #1 buck in the shotgun barrels would make me a nice walking deer brush gun 8)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I was told by someone that my gun was fairly typical for a farmer's "varmint gun". Tight Choke shottie to pop trash birds at range and a reasonable rifle (out to 100) to get the feral pigs that came in for a snack..
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2ndovc wrote:The fun is in the chase I guess.

jb 8)

I used to say that about women when I was younger !

But that thought tends to change as you become uhm OLDER :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Ironsights wrote:I was told by someone that my gun was fairly typical for a farmer's "varmint gun". Tight Choke shottie to pop trash birds at range and a reasonable rifle (out to 100) to get the feral pigs that came in for a snack..

Sounds reasonable to me !

The guy we got the 10.75 from also had a single shot rifle that was made bu Collath with a period Collath scope on top . Both were brought back from WWII by his General FIL . Anyway the little rifle is in 6.5x52R which at first i thought was something special and low and behold that one turned out to be the kinda plain vanilla 25-35 WIN :roll:
Anyway it shot very nicely with circa 1960's REM/UMC factory ammo I just happened to have squirreled away !
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

For a long time a C. Sharps high wall configured for BPCR silhouettes chambered in .45-70 was on the top of my bucket list. I finally got one last month. So the Shiloh Sharps moves to first place:

Shiloh Sharps 1874 in .45-90 for BP silhouettes and Creedmoor target shooting.

CPA 44 1/2 in .38-55 with extra barrels in .32-20 and .22 LR.

Parker Repro double in 12 gauge.

Winchester 1892 carbine in .44-40.

Winchester 1885 low wall in .25-20.

And likely a few more.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

You know, I have reached a new point in my life where, I don't really want and certainally don't need any more guns, so I don't really have a bucket list. Oh, I recond there are a few guns that I might be interested in, but nothing I am really looking for.

A fine side by side always catches my eye, but I have several
A nice old Colt Peacemaker with real Ivory grips
Maybe a good Winchester 73 or clone, but not sure what caliber I want
Maybe a lightweight DSA Fal
A clean old 95 Winchester carbine or Craig Jorgenson carbine in 30/40 Craig
A nice clean blued Colt Commander series 70
Maybe a Clean Colt Mustang 380
A top quality Flint Lock rifle in 40 caliber

But the sad thing is I don't have the time or energy to shoot the guns I have now, nearly enough. I may be at the point in life where I just might be learning the real value of everything, and know that even if I had all of those above, I would still want something else, and I already have a lot of overlapping when it comes to guns.

I don't really have a bucket list for anything, although I would like to go on several nice hunting trips, loose some weight, and get my horses trained to shoot off of. Maybe that's my real Bucket List.
NRA Life Member, Patron
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

UPDATE on my Bucket list - I now have none on my list as I put a deposit down on my bucket list desire, an 1874 Military rilfe 3 band in 45-70, with midrange tang site. I paid the deposit, now waiting for the letter saying production is ready to start.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

In no particular order:

Beretta DT-10 Trident 32" sporting o/u
Merkel SxS .470 nitro
Winchester M70 Classic SS/Syn in 7mm STW
Nosler M48 Trophy Grade in .280 AI with a Leupy 4.5-14x40 VX3
Armalite AR-10 in .338 federal

Guess thats it for now. Just acquired a mint Beretta SxS so the gun budget needs to recuperate!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Mine is much too long! I'd love to have a Barrett M82 - and plenty of ammo - and a place to shoot it!

X2 --- but a single shot Barrett or an AR-50 would be very cool too (basically any quality .50)

I also want a "correct" Quigley rifle in .45-110, as well as a Billy Dixon replica in .45-70 -- both from Shiloh Sharps

Now that the better part of 20 grand is gone theoretically (once you factor in ammo and new reloading equipment) I guess i would be somewhat content, as most of my other firearms needs are met

------ i'd like to have a brace of African double rifles too, but i would certainly settle for a pair of Weatherbys - one in 378 Wby mag and the other in 460 for the big stuff
----- Doug
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

through the years, I've accumulated all the firearms i want/need (Mostly WANT)

what I've elected to do now is to upgrade or 'improve' the ones i now have.

as an example: i added a Williams rear aperture to my 39AS Golden and did the removal of the "rebounding hammer" feature. I've removed and lapped in all firing pins in rimfires and done trigger work on my H&R Ultra Varmint .223. I've traded up to higher quality optics when and where i could.

if i ever decide to get another firearm, it will probably be to get a really high dollar, precision 'upper' in 5.56, or possibly .204 Ruger, for my AR with equally precision optics.

my immediate concern is about legislation, especially here in California, and "treaties" with the UN that may affect the future of firearms, their use and possession...at the moment, i think it's rather bleak. but that's a subject that needs to be addressed in another forum.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

a turnball mfg 1886......and head out west and alaska to hunt
turnball1886.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I am lucky enough to have more than I need, however...
I've always wanted a BBQ gun and the engraved Walther PPK would be just flashy enough to suit me.

Jack
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I really like the DAVIDSON Mossberg model 464 with 16 inch barrel, laminated stock, and marine-kote silver finish.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

I too have more guns than I need, however....
My bucket list:
1875 Remington single action revolver
S&W Model 13 3"round butt with Tyler T Grip
Older Marlin levergun in 32WS
Browning BL-22 with gold trigger and engraving-I don't remember what grade - 2 or 3
English side by side double shotgun
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

The bucket list is getting short with my recent purchase of a Browning 71. The one I can think of will be like finding hen's teeth. Would love to find a 24 gauge/22 Hornet or 22 Savage Hi-Power drilling. A 25-35 would do as well. The few 24 gauge drillings I have run across have had some obsolete enemic european cartridges for the rifle.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got more than I really need, and my gun buying wants are very few. But if I ever came across a Rigby Ballard I could afford it's definitely one on my bucket list!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote:I've got more than I really need, and my gun buying wants are very few. But if I ever came across a Rigby Ballard I could afford it's definitely one on my bucket list!
Not a nice "original" Marlin 1895TD PG checkered and engraved in 45-90 perhaps ???????

8)