OT 32-20 in the SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

OT 32-20 in the SAA

Post by Timothy »

What do you all think the main use of the 32wcf in a SAA was back in the 19th century? From what I understand few people hunted with revolvers back then and there were much better calibers for self defense. They sold quite a bit of them but id think there would be more demand for a rimfire cartridge if one wanted a plikin gun. Just curious thanks
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: OT 32-20 in the SAA

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE 32-20 WAS THE 357MAG OF IT'S DAY. THINK ABOUT THAT A BIT.
THE " SMALL BORE " OF THAT DAY WAS THE 25-20 EVENTUALLY. THERE WAS NOT A RANCH HOUSE IN SOUTH DAKOTA THAT DID NOT HAVE ONE BEHIND THE DOOR TO KILL ANYTHING THAT NEEDED KILLING, INCLUDING SUPPER. ALL I'VE EVER SEEN [ A BARN FULL OF 'EM ] WERE MODEL '92 WINCHESTERS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

As much sense as a RF gun makes today, it had it's, limitations back in the early 1900's and late 1800's. Remember not many people could afford to "plink", and most shooting was for sustenance.
Also the chance to get into town for more ammo was not like jumping in the truck and heading to the local sporting goods store now. Many people were far enough out that they used hand loading tools and cast their bullets, so they wouldn't run out for a long time.
The .32-20 has an advantage of taking small and larger game better than a rimfire .22, and still reloadable when the need arose.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

marlinman93 wrote:As much sense as a RF gun makes today, it had it's, limitations back in the early 1900's and late 1800's. Remember not many people could afford to "plink", and most shooting was for sustenance.
Also the chance to get into town for more ammo was not like jumping in the truck and heading to the local sporting goods store now. Many people were far enough out that they used hand loading tools and cast their bullets, so they wouldn't run out for a long time.
The .32-20 has an advantage of taking small and larger game better than a rimfire .22, and still reloadable when the need arose.
+1 What he said.

Until recently the majority of the population lived in rural areas. Unpaved roads and the nearest town usually within 6 miles or 2 hrs by horse. Church was the big trip of the week.
Not that long ago there was rationing of food etc. Remember WW2?
My Dad lived in the country and the family farmed and ate what they grew or traded with neighbours. He said that during the war(WW2) getting any kind of ammo was impossible. They were able to get some .303 Brit from servicemen at times and would file the tips flat to use them for hunting. By the end of the war RF was not to be found, period. After the war his youngest brother got into reloading for just this reason.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Quite a few LEO used 32-20s in the old days. They were powerful enough to kill a human and were quite accurate because of their flat trajectory. They were also easy to hold on target. Dirty Harry started the idea of over-kill. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

rangerider7 wrote:Dirty Harry started the idea of over-kill.
Dang that Dirty Harry! :D
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Timothy, if you ever get a chance to shoot a 32wcf (32-20) sixgun jump on it. Either the SAA or a Colt or Smth & Wesson double action, they are fine shooting handguns.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have wanted one ever since I saw the movie "All the pretty horses".

Fat chance of that now in the UK :twisted:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

rangerider7 wrote:Quite a few LEO used 32-20s in the old days. They were powerful enough to kill a human and were quite accurate because of their flat trajectory. They were also easy to hold on target. Dirty Harry started the idea of over-kill. :D

Yep - a lot of Texas Rangers liked the .32-20 for those reasons and they were able to carry more ammo on the trail for the same weight. I've always found it interesting the number of pre-war S&W and Colt small framed double actions made in .32-20, specifically aiming at the law enforcement and self defense market.
.........THE TWINS..........

bunyan

Post by bunyan »

Let's not forget the common practice in years gone by of choosing a rifle/pistol setup that chambered the same round. People were thriftier then, and didn't always want to carry around multiple calibers. Interchangable calibers between pistol and rifle (like the .32-20, .44-40, etc) means you could use one box of ammo in both.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've been a huge fan of any '32-20 rifles for plinking. Have quite a few in old Marlin lever actions, and a few singleshot rifles also in .32-20. I only own one singleshot pistol in .32-20 and it is a later Colt in .32-20 with 5.5" barrel. Not sure why, but that gun with it's poor sights just feels great and I can actually hit what I shoot at with it. I carry it as a back up when deer hunting, as it feels great.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/