Browning BLR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Browning BLR

Post by getitdone1 »

I've never had a Browning BLR but I will have one before long. They have a lot going for them. Tight, strong lock-up that'll take high pressure-flat shooting cartridges, short lever throw and.....what did I leave out?

It'll be either a .308 or .358 and expect I'll go for the aluminum receiver rather than the steel to keep the weight down.

Believe I've read where some of you guys get excellent accuracy from this gun.

Wonder how many of you consider this to be your number one lever-action rifle and how you like it?

Any reliability issues?

Don
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning BLR

Post by Tycer »

My 94 Trapper 357 is my #1. My BLR 358 is #2. I've never gotten better than 1.25 MOA with my 358 BLRs (6) and they all have been right at 1.25. I understand the 308s are better for accuracy. I'll never trade my 358. I've got a buddy with a 7mm that he says is a one hole wonder. Their barrels are not very thick and the triggers are not great. Did I say I'll never trade?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have the BLR in .308 as many here also have. It is an absolute Tack driver! Other than a cold weather oil problem which was my fault for not getting it deep down clean it works perfect. My only complaint is the skinny barrel. Makes for a difficult time offhand shooting which is how I do all my shooting. If Browning would ever make a heavier contour barrel, I would have one in .308, and one in .358 I can live with the heavy trigger.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

When choosing to go hunting with a scoped rifle, my old BLR .308 WCF. comes 1st.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have one in .308, it is not a tack driver, at least with heavy bullets I use for hunting.
150'2, 165's shoot better in it than the 180's that I use. That being said, it still shoots more than well enough to hunt with, it just isn't what I call a tack driver. I can get better groups with my Dad's old Marlin 30/30 and my new Marlin 338 XLR.

I think besides its penchant for lighter bullets, the trigger was just almost unuseable for me. I had gunsmith work on it, he took quite a bit off, don't remember what pull is now, but is considerably better. And guess what? accuracy improved. So gun is probably pretty accurate with right bullet and a good shooter! and for me that includes a very crisp light weight trigger pull!

They are handy, and I in no way would NOT reccommend one, they are good rifles.Just so you know what to expect, the trigger is achilles heel on these guns in my opinion.

Also, I like the steel frame, but I like heavy rifles. These BLR's are not heavy weights and I would not want to shoot anything larger than .308 out of this platform, but that is just me.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Thanks Hobie for that link. Lots of details about the BLR there. Appreciate ALL the responses.

Some of you may recall my earlier post about this gun so my excuse for "round two" is: "Sometimes you have to shake the tree more than once to get most of the apples." Ya know, it's nearly a sure thing you are buying a good to great gun when you buy a Browning be it handgun, rifle or shotgun. They have a record to be proud of.

It was good to also read about the Browning BAR in that article and the success the author and his dad had with that gun.

I'm really kind of "torn" between the BLR and BAR. Want to compare them side by side. Both would be the lightweight models. The BLR could win-out simply because I've always had a hankering for a gun chambered for the .358 Winchester. Lots of power in a little package. Actually, one of each wouldn't be bad. :D

Tycer,

I know you love your BLR in .358. What's your thoughts on .308 vs .358 in this gun other than the accuracy you mentioned? Can see where the .358 with 250 gr bullet might cause an accuracy problem due to recoil, especially in a light gun. Can't see how one would be more inherently accurate than the other.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

getitdone1 wrote:I've never had a Browning BLR but I will have one before long. They have a lot going for them. Tight, strong lock-up that'll take high pressure-flat shooting cartridges, short lever throw and.....what did I leave out?

It'll be either a .308 or .358 and expect I'll go for the aluminum receiver rather than the steel to keep the weight down.

Believe I've read where some of you guys get excellent accuracy from this gun.

Wonder how many of you consider this to be your number one lever-action rifle and how you like it?

Any reliability issues?

Don

Have got marlins/Winchesters and the BLR(7mm Mag)
They are all nice guns.
Accuracy?? I will say when I top my Browning with the 3X9 Redfield it shoots 1MOA all day long(from a bench)
So that shows what the gun(is capable of)
All three with open sights from my findings it goes in order (Browning/Marlin/Winchester)but that's just me?

Now for strength-----When Marlin or Winchester come out with a gun that handles a 7MM Mag or 300 Win Mag with ease(let me know)?

Before buying the alloy receiver (double/triple check try carrying them around the store,I would get the steel receiver)
I would get the 24" barrel(like the balance/added performance)of course I would like the power of the 300 Win mag(but it kicks too much) so next best is the 7MM Mag.(the gun is so smooth,don't let the longer action change your mind only on that.It is still fast/smooth as butter)

If bent on short action only(.308 Win)
Reliability issues------100% reliable
Really you need to try several different models to compare.
For me,there is "no" comparison---a well balanced/super smooth/beautifully crafted weapon in a extreme High Powered Bolt Cartridge that does not kick worse that my .35 Marlin(there again is no comparison)
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I MUCH preferred the early (1971) steel-receiver/protruding mag .358 BLR I had to the later alloy receivered BLR-81's. (I peeped it)

One DOES have to learn to love the trigger, though........... :mrgreen:

scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

I have two BLR's. One is a Model 81 I bought used about 1991. The other is a Model 81 takedown I bought in 2008. Both are 308. They have proved to be accurate and reliable. The older steel receiver has been used several times to kill deer and a few time on feral pig. The lightweight has not been used to hunt with yet largely because I haven't had time to test any copper bullets for use in the condor zones.

Some observation about the rifle.

The eye relief on most receiver mounted scopes puts the eyepiece right where it will interfere with operating the hammer. This makes putting the rifle on half cock after chambering a round an operation to be done very carefully. Similarly when shouldering to fire, the hammer can be a bit hard to cock with a gloved or cold thumb. On the Model 81 I installed a rail and mounted a Leupold 2.5x20 ultralight scope. On the takedown I have the "scout" mount and a Leupold 2.5X28 IER scope.

Magazines are expensive. In the ten years after I bought the Model 81 I picked up extras from gun show vendors for $20 - $25 dollars. When I bought the takedown I decided to get a few more and found they were selling for $50 to $55! Last good price I found was four for $130 including shipping and I snapped them up. I rarely see one now for under $60. On the plus side, the magazines are well made and not a consumable so, if you don't lose or damage one, it will last.

One of the steel inserts on my takedown came out and I had to send it back to Browning to be replaced. It was covered under warranty service but it was annoying to have a practically brand new rifle away for nearly a month

Some people think the triggers are heavy. I bought mine as hunting rifles. As such, they may be use from odd positions with serendipitous support and with gloves on. I appreciate the extra feedback the "heavy" trigger provides.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Don,

The BLR's are a very reliable rifle, have good accuracy and best of all - no lawyer buttons. As far as the caliber choice goes, I have to say that is strickly up to you and your intended use. The 308 is a good round and to me feels good to cycle in that rifle. I don't have any experience with the 358, but have shot the 450 Marlin in the BLR. It kicked noticably. I am finding that many are really liking the 7mm-08 round in this rifle.

I would suggest you look towards the newer models for the following reasons. The magazines for the older (pre 81 protruding type) are not made anymore and when you find one it can easily cost north of two hundred dollars. The newer magazines are not cheap, but you can find them for around $30-35 on the internet. You can get a straight gripped or pistol gripped version on the new models. You can also get the takedown version, which I have and really like. As far as scopes and mounts, I highly recommend the Game Reaper (Deadnutz) one piece mounts (medium height). I get plently of clearance with them.

If you do get one, no matter the age or model, I recommend taking the wood off and putting a good coat or two of something like boiled linseed oil on the interior. As good of a finish as Browning's have on the outside, they have nothing inside.

I have BAR's, BPR's and BLR's and IMO there is only one noticable difference between the three. The BAR's and BPR's are easy to totally disassemble, but I do not recommend total disassembly of the BLR. That is one reason I recommend the takedown model. I have not found the takedown feature to affect the accuracy.

Here is a good link w/ more information and evaluations on the BLR.

http://www.browningowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=595
Last edited by Bruce on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There is some great reading on the link above some written by Bruce himself. Highly interesting and entertaining - happy to know about the site. Thanks Bruce. Know you better for it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I owned one once and they are dandy rifles. The older all steel models are cheaper and very well built. The new aluminum ones are reported to be fine weapons.

I like that they retained the external hammer. Mine locked as solid as any bolt and tighter than many. The barrel is a little bit light. Mine shot outstanding 3 shot groups but the 5 shot groups opened a bit. It was a 243 prairie whitetail rifle and performed perfectly.
stinson
Levergunner

Post by stinson »

I bought a stainless/takedown .325 WSM model a couple of years ago, and it's a great rifle: light, powerful, strong, accurate (despite the trigger), well-balanced to carry all day, and weather-resistant. It ain't pretty, but it almost immediately became my favorite, go-to levergun. I really like the .325 WSM, a good balance of power and recoil, in my opinion, and one of the most under-rated big-game cartridges. If you are a handloader, it, or the .300 WSM, is a much more versatile choice than the .358. Either one can be loaded up or down to suit the situation. I wouldn't recommend the .325 to a non-handloader, however, due to the limited selection of factory loads and their ridiculous $$$$.

Whatever caliber you choose, I think that you'll love this rifle.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Trigger may not be what some like best but it will not stop good shooting if you don't let it bother you.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rond
Levergunner

Post by rond »

I have a .223 and a .243, both are excellent shooters. I am looking for a 7mm-08.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Bruce,

Thanks for the great link. I was in a Gander Mountain store today and handled a BLR--first time. I was impressed and after reading about it via Bruce's link I'm even more impressed! That take-down feature is great and, for me, not for carrying in a small case but for cleaning the barrel FROM the back side of the barrel and not the muzzle! The light weight, the 20" bbl, the low rear sight, the short lever throw, the strong lock-up between bolt and barrel and the hammer that folds forward for a safety which I think allows you to carry gun safely with a round in the chamber. Now is that a lot of great features, or what? This one was chambered for 308 and I'm thinking this might suit me better than the 358 I originally thought I'd prefer. I may buy this very rifle, providing it's still there.

Whether I keep it for a long time or not, this rifle deserves my ownership. It has the potential of replacing several of my guns but we'll see.

How do you guys feel about BLR vs BAR??? May eventually get both. If a gun's a great gun I just about have to give it a try.

Don
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Only problem with my irons on the 243 was that the lowest they would go had it zeroed at almost 400 yds.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Stinson: the 325 and 300 WSM I came close to buying. Can always rebore to 358WSM if'n you wear out the bore. Also the 22/250 i've passed on twice. waiting for the 3rd times the charm deal. OS what kind of ladies shoot BLR's :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I havn't shot mine yet, but I will. It's a '91 model year Minnesota Deer Hunters Commerattive 243 win.

Owen
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Well now, after looking around and reading others comments at other sites I found two guys who said their BLRs "went click" too many times instead of firing. One guy said he had 3 and they all did this sometimes.

Now what?

Don
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine never went click in hundreds of rounds.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The two blr's that live here have never went "click" unless you dropped the hammer on an empty chamber.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Don,,

When I was doing research for my article, I found a few supposed instances where someone reported their BLR not firing and a few where someone supposedly had their BLR freeze up in cold weather. I put a lot of effort into trying to verify these claims and found nothing nor anyone who had it actually happen to them. I finally wrote them off as internet rumors. I am not saying they did not happen, I just could not find a reputable source for the information. If they did happen, I am fairly sure it was either user error or poor/improper lubrication. By the design of the BLR firing system, there should be no unusual problems. Beware of people not stating that their BLR is actually the rimfire version - but I am not aware of any problems with them either. Also, when I asked if reloads were used - I never got responses. Lastly, I'll bet if it did happen, someone had their hammer folded over.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I'm a 35 cal nut. The 308 is a great round.

We had someone here with a rifle (BLR?) that went click in cold weather. On the suggestions of members here, they cleaned the gun and used Remoil or other such GUN oil and fixed the problem. I use Remoil or Ed's Red homemade on all my guns and have pulled the trigger in below zero conditions with no failures to fire. I think that if any of those guys who had BLRs go click had cleaned and properly oiled their new guns instead of just dragging them into the woods, they would have had zero problems.

I've met many men who have bought new guns and taken them straight from the box to the range with no cleaning or inspection. Several of them experienced malfunctions that were remedied with cleaning and proper lube. One so badly galled a steel to alloy mating surface that he ended up with a new frame on his new gun.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I've had 2 BLR's 1st 1 was a 308, only sold it off after I bought my 284 winchester, this gun will never be sold, with handloads it is basically running neck in neck with 7 mag velocity wise, for the critters I am going to hunt I see no need for any other caliber.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Bought the BLR as I said I might. Takedown, 20" bbl, 308 Win. Mighty fine gun and a pleasure to shoot. The lever worked so well it enticed me to try shooting and levering it with one hand. Never tried this before with a levergun. Can do. Hold it next to body, work action, extend and fire. What some guys won't try, eh? Actually it's nice to know you can handle it with one hand if you'd need to. Would get better with practice for sure.

A lot of neat features with this gun. The fold-over hammer for one which amounts to a safety added to the safety cock notch and allows a cartridge in the chamber while carrying. The wide hammer for another. Strong lock-up for high pressure cartridges. Choice of regular scope mount or long eye relief mount. Light gun with alloy receiver and yet really pleasant to shoot. The 20" bbl on this gun is not overly light at all--as some have mentioned on their--maybe longer barreled BLRs. I really like the handiness of this barrel and gun.

Magazine works well, easy to feed, locks-up reliably, feeds cartridges into chamber as slick as any gun I've seen. Empties are not thrown far but that's good, makes them easier to find.

Only negatives for me are the high shine finish on the wood and the firing pin indentation in primer could be a little more prominent. Makes you wonder about ignition in real cold weather. I wonder how well this action works in cold weather? Cases eject without any scratches.

Really quite a gun. Now have to decide on a scope, aim-point, etc. My 243 and 270 can handle the long shots. Might go fiber optic, front and back.

Edit: Left out a few things. You can load a single round by tipping gun down with action open, drop the cartridge in, shake a time or two, close lever and ready to fire. Don't have to fight it at all--or, bother with loading one cartridge in the magazine. The take-down feature is very nice in that it allows you to clean the bore from the chamber end of barrel. The gun weighs 7.08 lbs with 5 ctgs, 150 gr bullet. The trigger pull is nice even though about 5.5 lbs. There's a little "take-up" but easy to tell when you're "there" and very smooth let-off. Don't think I'd want it lighter and especially with gloves in winter. It's so smooth it just doesn't feel like 5.5 lbs.

And.....find it weighs about 1 1/2 lbs less than my Browning 86 and 71. It's about 1 1/2" longer than my 20" 71 carbine. Found one more negative--if you were using it in a hairy situation--and that is it has about 3/4" longer pull than my other lever guns and recoil pad often wants to "hang-up" on my clothing when I shoulder it. That's a lot of difference in pull length, longer than any of my other guns. Wonder why they made it that long when a lever gun needs a pull on the short side so you don't short stroke. Easy fix.

Think I've finally got it covered. Overall, an excellent gun. Fast shots come real easy with this one.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

getitdone1 wrote:The 20" bbl on this gun is not overly light at all--as some have mentioned on their--maybe longer barreled BLRs. I really like the handiness of this barrel and gun.
My model 81 and my takedown are the same weight within an oz or two. I think that Browning took the weight saved with an aluminum receiver and added it back on with a heavier barrel.
Only negatives for me are the high shine finish on the wood and the firing pin indentation in primer could be a little more prominent. Makes you wonder about ignition in real cold weather. I wonder how well this action works in cold weather? Cases eject without any scratches.
I tooks some fine steel wool to my stock to take off the gloss. If I ever get the takedown into the field for real, I may just go ahead and wrap the stock and the foreand with some camouflage tape.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I mentioned previously my Browning BLR takedown had a long pull length. It's 14 7/8. My pre-64 model 70 Win is 14 1/2 and my model 64 Win is 14 1/4. That's a lot of difference in pull length and a difference that could mess you up in a tight spot. Especially with this gun's rubber recoil pad wanting to hang-up on my clothes as I shoulder it. Would be worse with thick winter clothing.

However, I believe I know why they put such a long pull length on this BLR. I got to looking, as I levered and bolt back all the way--hey, that bolt is only about 1/2" from my nose! Shorten the pull on this gun by a half inch and you might have "contact."

Looking at the gun with bolt all the way back and seems strange to me that so much bolt has to come back for a cartridge as short as the 308 Win.

Does the bolt come back the same distance for cartridges longer than the 308? 7mm mag, for instance.

Don
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I shortened the pull on my wifes blr to 13 inches and she has no problems with it.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

The only gun that I own that went click when I pulled the trigger is a Remington 721 in 30-06. It failed because the bolt was dirty on the inside and it got gummy in cold weather. The only time my BLR hasn't gone bang when I pulled the trigger is when I shot some old military ammo that ran about 40% duds. It has NEVER failed me when I was ready to pop a cap on a critter. They are great guns! 8)
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Don McDowell wrote:I shortened the pull on my wifes blr to 13 inches and she has no problems with it.
Don,

That's good to hear. I just now got the gun and double-checked. Same bolt close to the nose issue--or, non-issue. I think it might make considerable difference if I had this gun scoped. As it is I'm shouldering and establishing cheek weld as feels normal for me--with open sights. If I had a scope on it I might be forced--for proper eye relief--to have my face further back on the stock. Would depend on how far forward the rings would allow me to mount the scope. I turned the back mount around on my mod 70 Win in order to get the scope further forward and have the "scope picture" needed for the way I mount a rifle. I really dislike having to pull my head back for the full "scope picture."

This is a new gun and I've shot it about 25 times, often levering from the shoulder for repeat shots. Never had the bolt touch me once. I have had the recoil pad grab my shirt as I go to shoulder it and I know 1/2-5/8" off the buttstock would help or solve this problem. Then it'd have about the same pull as my other lever guns which all have metal buttplates. No "hangup" with them. 5/8-3/4" difference in pull between guns is not good.

How'd you manage to make a neat/accurate cut on that buttstock?

Don
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My 7MM Mag LOP is 14.5"(verified)
No contact issues,maybe its the way I check it,but seem to have about 1.5" with bolt all the way back!(had brother just measure it while I had it in that position)
I have never with any condition or ammo which caused the gun to just go click?
Myself, unless you are actually having it contact your face(wouldn't screw with it)
Did you while having it in that position actually take an accurate measurement?
Might be a tad longer than what it appears for your viewpoint.
Course mine is the straight stock version.
If you are bound and determined you can't live with it look into a Limbsaver #10544 pad (worth having a pro install it)Their thin and work well.
Cause once you chop your stock value of gun(resale)goes in the tank.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Oops! I previously should have said 13+ inches rather than 14+ when stateing pull lengths of my guns. Roughly 13 1/4 for my Browning and Winchester lever-actions and 13 1/2 for Winchester model 70 while Browning is about 13 7/8". 5/8" difference in length of pull is a lot and made worse with this extra length of BLR sometimes causing rubber recoil pad to catch on clothing when shouldering it. As I've said, this problem would be even worse with thick winter clothing.

Again, it's pretty strange for a lever-action to have the longest pull of any gun I have, including bolt-actions. The only reason I can see for Browning doing this is due to how far the bolt comes back and wanting to ensure bolt does not hit nose of shooter. A lever gun needs and usually has a shorter length of pull than other guns to help ensure complete forward movement of lever and thus reliable feeding and extraction.

This Browning's bolt comes back roughly 4" from back of receiver while my model 64 Winchester's bolt comes back about 2". I have about 5/8" clearence between the end of bolt and my nose with Browning and 2" or more with the model 64. The 308 ctg is only a little longer than the 30-30. I'm sure Browning would have liked the bolt to come back less but the action style wouldn't permit it.

Overall this is a great gun. The extra long length of pull is the only significant negative thing I can say about this gun.

Edit: I would think where one places cheek on stock, "cheekweld", would vary by several inches from person to person. I'm evidently the type that "crawls" the stock placing my face closer to the receiver. I just shoulder and place cheek as I normally do. To alter this disturbs my shooting. As I said elsewhere, I turned the rear scope mount around on my Winchester model 70 so I could move the rings and scope further forward. Now it's just right, with immediate, proper eye relief and "scope picture."

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You could take the recoil pad off and replace it with a buttplate. That would shorten the pull a bit and get rid of the hanging on the clothes bit, the recoil from a 308 isn't bad enough to warrant a recoil pad for a hunting rifle.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

madman4570,

I just checked it again. I shoulder it and place cheek on stock and lever bolt all the way back. Keep everything in position except move right hand, and stick right thumb, turned sideways, between end of bolt and my nose. Just fits so that's about 5/8". Looks like I have to leave it as is or sometimes I'll have face further forward and contact will be made.

Might get a recoil pad that's covered with leather to help stop the grabbing at clothes as I mount gun.

Another thing occured to me. I have rather long arms and tend to hold the forestock near the end. Feels best that way to me. This tends to cause me to bring my face further forward than if I held the forestock further back.

It's a great gun. Don't see how the action smoothness and feeding could be any better.

Edit: Made use of the takedown feature after writing above. Takes a pretty good pull on that lever, then the in and out part is as easy as could be. Nice to be able to clean from chamber end and also to have access and view of other areas not afforded by non-takedown guns. Could the takedown feature cause problems with lots of use? Become loose, perhaps?

Don