1892 Winchester question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Spiritmaker
Levergunner

1892 Winchester question

Post by Spiritmaker »

I picked up an old 92 Winchester at an auction that has a 20"bbl and not a button mag but a mag that extends about 3 1/2" past the forearm cap. The barrel is 20" octagon. It was made in 1906. Has anyone heard of a 1892 Winchester short rifle like the 1894 and Marlin 1893?

Tim
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1892 Winchester question

Post by Pete44ru »

I wouldn't think it a "Short Rifle", rather a 20" Carbine with optional 3/4 magazine - especially if it has the typical carbine butt/sights ILO rifle buttstock/sights.

The "button" mag was the 1/2 mag, IIRC - I had one such, in .32-20, made in 1907.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We just had a SRC button mag .25-20 in the shop for repair. <sigh> He was not interested in selling.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I was interested in moving my .32-20, Hobie (mostly 'cause I didn't wanna alter it) - from a funshow dealer I got $1500 (cash) plus a 99% .44 mag B-92 & a NIB Marlin 1895 Sporter - about $2500 value in toto. :mrgreen: . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

Spiritmaker
Levergunner

Post by Spiritmaker »

The reason I thought of it as a short rifle is that it does not have a carbine butt or sights. Kinda rough with a so so bore but it shoots better than me. It could be that someone cut it down years ago. Not that experienced with collecting just shooting them.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If it has rifle-type sights ILO carbine-type, and a rifle-type crescent butt ILO the squared-top carbine-type, it is by definition a Short Rifle.

One in .25-20 with a special order magazine should easily bring North of $2K on today's market.

Spiritmaker
Levergunner

Post by Spiritmaker »

Definitely not worth 2K. It has seen its better days. But it is 32WCF and one of my favorite calibers if not my favorite. Not really nice enough to get lettered. It will make a fine knockabout rifle.
Last edited by Spiritmaker on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No carbines were produced with octagon barrels. Its either a short rifle or a cut down rifle. Only a "hands on" by someone who is educated in this can tell the difference unless there's obvious telltale signs such as cutting marks on the muzzle, recut dovetails, or a barrel address thats too far forward.---------Sixgun
44 Specials From The Past.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:No carbines were produced with octagon barrels. Its either a short rifle or a cut down rifle. Only a "hands on" by someone who is educated in this can tell the difference unless there's obvious telltale signs such as cutting marks on the muzzle, recut dovetails, or a barrel address thats too far forward.---------Sixgun
Or pictures posted in great detail showing the areas mentioned.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Tim,

If you will post, or send me some photos of the rifle I should be able to tell you if it is in its factory original
configuration. There were lots of 20 inch octagon barrel rifles made. The unique point of your gun is its
short magazine. My guess is it is a cut down gun. The barre laddress will be in the proper llocation as the
cut off portion is the muzzle end of the barrel.
2bitrifles@gmail.com

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations