Is Remington-Marlin still making lever action rifles?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Is Remington-Marlin still making lever action rifles?

Post by scarville »

I am looking for an 1894CSS but it looks like there are no Marlin leverguns other there right now.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Is Remington-Marlin still making lever action rifles?

Post by pdentrem »

Based upon some peoples experiences with the poor Quality Control coming out of Remington, at the moment they are not producing leveractions. :(
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Marlin's current catalog and most of the local gun stores are full of Marlin leverguns.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

From what I have read the quality of the Marlingtons is sub par. Be careful and fully inspect any you think of buying. Do not order one in unless you reserve the right to refuse it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

J Miller wrote:From what I have read the quality of the Marlingtons is sub par. Be careful and fully inspect any you think of buying. Do not order one in unless you reserve the right to refuse it.

Joe
Good advice. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

J Miller wrote:From what I have read the quality of the Marlingtons is sub par. Be careful and fully inspect any you think of buying. Do not order one in unless you reserve the right to refuse it.

Joe
Will do then.

It too bad that Remington is not keeping up the quality. I have an 1894C that is one of the best rifles I've ever had and I'd like to add a stainelss steel version.

Maybe I will just get a 77/357 from Ruger.... :)
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I believe when things blow over good things will happen ! I have a specific rifle in mind when that takes place.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

They stockpiled some but acknowledged there would be shortages of some models until the factory got up and running. One of those was the 1894C which we bought several of and have sold. People are looking and not finding what they want. QC aside, I'm sure 'they' want to get Marlins in production ASAP.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

scarville wrote:I am looking for an 1894CSS but it looks like there are no Marlin leverguns other there right now.
I think the 1894 css is a 'seasonal' run, or has been in the past, where they'd make a few hundred or whatever, sell them through a couple distributors, then be done with them for awhile.

I'm sure they'll make more - they always sell like hotcakes.

If they make another run and you want one, have your credit card handy, check the on-line wholesalers that will ship to your FFL a couple times daily, and buy TWO when you find one. Keep the best one and you can still likely sell the other a few months later for more than it cost you.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Quality was sliding before Remington bought Marlin.
Give the new plant time to get up & running with new people & equipment, and in the meantime inspect carefully before you buy.
Denis
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

The very end of Marlin in CT. was "sweep up" production, with a grab bag of parts assembled by workers who knew their jobs were going away. Take from that what you will.

Marlin/remington is a work in progress. They need to learn, and are doing so as we speak, and the production seems to be like a 4th grade art show if the rumors are true. Mebbe next year things will be better.
Certified gun nut
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

If my 1894 Fg was an example they were on the slide down hill before being bought out.I know of at least one local store that is recommending the older marlins and asking a little more for them .
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

DPris wrote:Quality was sliding before Remington bought Marlin.
That's what I'd heard, too. It was a big reason I held off on buying. No one local had any in stock and I didn't want to buy sight unseen. I already have one I bought in 1997 so I can wait for a while longer.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Saw a recent one in 45-70 that looked quite good. Nice wood and good fit and finish.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Old Savage wrote:Saw a recent one in 45-70 that looked quite good. Nice wood and good fit and finish.
Good to know, OS. I'm pulling for them to put it back together. I'm ready to acquire a shiny new 7mm Marlin Express as soon as the local Bi-Mart gets one in.

Huh? They're not making 7mm ME? Well they should!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It has always seemed to me that they varied in quality. I wouldn't just order one at any time but the ones I have seen from 79 and 80 seem top notch. The one I spoke of now made me want to buy it but I have a great one like it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I had my first opportunity to handle a Rem/Marlin 336 this morning. I am happy to report it was the nicest-looking and smoothest-working brand-new Marlin I have handled in at least a decade.

I don't doubt there are some lemons out there, but I don't think it's as bad as has generally been portrayed in the forums.
Crosseyed Bob
Levergunner

Post by Crosseyed Bob »

The Remlin 336s that I've handled seemed to be pretty nice with OK wood, but the 1894s were rough as were most of the cowboy guns. Over the past few years I have aquired a 70s era 336 in .35 and an 80s era 1894c, and both were notably nicer than the current ones and had nice triggers. Notably the extractor on the 336 was much stiffer and more sustantial than current production. I bought an 1895G new in 2007 and it was flawless. The 39A I bought a few months ago needed two days of deburring to work right. I couldn't even get the receiver halves to mate after I took the gun down for inspection. It cleaned up nicely, but there is no way a gun should leave the factory like that. I too hope they come back, but I have a bad feeling that they'll never be the same as they were even a decade ago.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

earlmck, funny you should say something regarding a 7mm ME. I happen to have a reamer for just that round (40 degree shoulder) that I was planning on trying out by stubbing a NEF barrel. Haven't gotten around to doing it, but I think it would make a nice lever gun round. Kind of like a 7mm-08+p
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

QC was definitely sliding before the ownership change. I have both a 39A and a 1894CB that prove it.
I would think that once Remington get things up and running they should be able to manufacture a quality product. They do have a couple hundred years of manufacturing experience, and I haven't heard too many complaints about their non-lever gun offerings.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.