Win 94 ranger, drilled and tapped, safe?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Win 94 ranger, drilled and tapped, safe?

Post by wecsoger »

Saw one in my fav pawn shop today. Oddly enough, it was there two weeks ago and I'm wondering if it's d&t is the reason no one has bought it.

Some kitchen table bubba as put a sling stud i the stock about a half inch from the butt plate.

Wood, plain, easily post '64 with only minor freckles in the cheap metal receiver.

Drilled and tapped, a hole in the top of the receiver behind the lugs on each side and also two up on top of the receiver right where it joins the barrel. At least someone knew what there were doing, the holes are perfectly centered and it doesn't look like some bubba 4-40 thread for the screws.

Win 94 ranger on the tag. $285. I'm sure if I wave cash at the owner he might come down.

Safe?
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Win 94 ranger, drilled and tapped, safe?

Post by retmech »

I think what you have is a 94 AE that is factory D&T'd if the receiver holes are in front of the lugs. Those are for scope mounts.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yep, check out the right side of the receiver. Does it have a big cut out? If so it's an AE model and suitable for abuse of all sorts.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thanks guys for the fast responses. Looks like you're having as slow a Saturday night as I am. (grin)

Really wish I had snapped a cell phone picture now. If I had though, that would have meant I may be considering buying this one and I need another lever like a hole in the head. (well, I already have a large dent, but that's another story)

I could very well be wrong on the holes in relation to the lugs. But the receiver is *not* an angle eject. It's flat on top on both sides, it did not have the cut out on the right. That's what caught my eye after I saw the machine work. So I don't know if whoever did it had really high rings (those goofy see-through) or they just worked the lever with authority and let the brass bang away on its way out.

I just popped up a couple great images on auction arms. I can see the d&t on this one on the front scope rings are exactly same location as shown on the 94 AE. They're on the "ring" of the receiver, not on the barrel.

Hang tag did say 94 Ranger. He rarely gets a model wrong.

I'll be back there next weekend and I'll try to take another look-see. I guess once cleaned up it wouldn't be a bad truck/jeep gun.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Foro $285 I don't think you could go wrong. I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kimwcook wrote:Foro $285 I don't think you could go wrong. I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.
That's the bottom line for me - if the gun seems otherwise in even halfway decent shape, that price is hard to beat.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "