OT - New to Me 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

OT - New to Me 1911

Post by Griff »

Camera's down, but, yesterday, I picked up a new to me 1911. Although, there's a nagging thought that this gun was built by me back in 1974 shortly after I got out of the Navy. I'd collected a fair amount of spare parts over my time shooting with them... and just needed to pick up a frame, barrel and a couple of other parts. I went thru my receipts last nite, but couldn't find anything on that. Even found an old inventory list, no joy.

Came with three mil-spec magazines. Ran those thru with a variety of ammo I took with me... stuff from 160SWCs, 185s, 200s, and 230 ball. Including several mags of the 200 HP I got thru one of the fund raisers here... GREAT bullets! Also ran several of my mags thru... all without but one hitch. Gotta sort out which mag wouldn't hold the slide back. Was trying to switch fast and set it down too close to the others... stupid, stupid, stupid me!

For just a std. run-of-the-mill 1911, it was a great gun... for a parts gun it was superb! I know I had my parts gun throated to run just about any conceiveable .452 bullet thru it. If this gun ain't it... well, someone took care to have the same ability. Not something I'd expect for a clunker... (In case you're wonderin', I did it so that my "practice" gun could do anything my comp gun could).

I look forward to shootin' it in the new SASS side events built around the 3-gun concept and the movie "Wild Bunch"! Use three guns, a 1911 in .45ACP, a .40 caliber or bigger levergun, and an 1897 shotgun. Traditional category will allow any military sighted 1911, but must be in std. 1911 or -A1 configuration... no beavertails, no ambi safeties or mag releases, no mag extensions or mag-well bells. Basically a stock gun. Modern category will allow improved sights, but many of the same restrictions as above. One thing I wish they'd change, is the prohibition on rubber bumpers on the bottom of the magazines.

After the Colt SAA, the 1911 is the epitome of firearms, IMO. You're free to disagree, but you'd be wrong! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - New to Me 1911

Post by rjohns94 »

very kewl. good luck with that.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That`s my favorite, number one handgun in the world imo though the Single action is close if not tied.
Grats on your new toy. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Sounds great!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I keep my 1911 near the bed at night because I trust it to do exactly what it is supposed to when I need it to. That plus a flashlight which is 200 lumens and I feel that I can protect my family. The flashlight is because I want to blind what I am shooting at. If I blind someone, I might not even have to shoot. The 1911 might not be a lever, but it was designed by the same man who designed some of the best levers ever. I think the 1911 looks right at home beside a model 92 , 86, 73, or a 94. Even a Marlin 336 or 1895 looks good with a 1911 in the picture.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: go get them wild thing!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I'm a fan.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's really neat, Griff. As stated, the 1911 was designed by one of the biggest levergun designers of all time, John M. Browning.

I know you guys have seen this rig a million times before, but I don't have any others. It's my daily carry rig. Personally, I think it's one of the best defense handguns made. Provided one receives the proper training.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... finally got home... remembered the camera in the truck... freshened up the batteries, and took some pics. Swapped up to the grips that came on my Combat Commander... (30 years old, but never used)!

For a parts gun... it don't look TOO bad... but it shoots like a dream. Loaded up 100 rounds of a 185grain moly coated SWC... test run 'em tomorrow! (If they don't call from the base and ask me to make another run! Obviously, the wife's hopin' they do... I hope I get a weekend off)! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

With the Combat Commander below it... Used hard, put up wet a few times!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Sounds like quite the find, Griff. Two thumbs up!!

I love my Springfield 1911. It'll take an act of God for me to part with it.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Kind of funny how after all these years the 1911 is still the standard by which everything else is judged.

Nice one Griff. It makes me want to watch "the Professionals" again.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Looks great! That would be something if it was your old gun.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

kim - the only defense with a handgun is Offense!

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!

I like the idea of the "Wild Bunch" type match. That'd be fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I recond the 1911 is my favorite handgun, as it's the gun I have won more trophys with then any other, shooting IPSC, Bullseye, and IDPA, I have even won a few NRA Hunter Silouette matches with it.

And it's the gun that I have carried CCW with the most. It's the gun that has rested by my bed for over 30yrs, and the one gun that I have known more intimately, then any other, as I recond I have swaped out and or fitted more parts to, then any other platform. And I recond I have owned more 1911's then any other type of gun, in my life.

I wonder, but I bet it's probaby the most copied gun in the world, as far as clones go, at least inside the United States, anyway. It's been copied, re-engineered, shortened, and lengthened on both ends, by most everybody that makes guns. But I guess you could say that about the Mauser, and the Colt Peacemaker, too. But, at anyrate, the 1911 in it's best examples, will run and shoot with the best of them, for accuracy and reliability, firepower, speed to get in action, assuming it's cocked and locked.

And in it's lighter weight models, it will conceal about as well as anything, and better then most, for it's power range.

It is definately my favorite semi-auto pistol, bar none, but I do still have a soft spot for my Smith and Wesson revolvers, and Colts, maybe even a Ruger or two.
NRA Life Member, Patron
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Generally OS, my op plan is to use my handgun to get me to my longarm, or an alternative to my longarm. Just two days ago we had an individual that'd threatened a person with a shotgun. After we got on scene, he wouldn't come out of the house. During negotiations I had my AR, but when he took a bean bag round and we assaulted the house I switched to my 1911 and slung my AR onto my backside. I use a three point sling on my AR. Even with abbreviated bbl.'s on subguns it's hard to move fluidly throughout tight spaces. Easier to use a handgun. But, with all that said, sometimes my handgun is all that's available and I agree at that point you need to be aggressive and that'd be more offensive than defensive.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I happened to be in LA that day those guys used automatic weapons in a bank robbery in 1997 - we were sitting in Jerry's Deli watching it unfold on TV. The guy who eventually killed him I think used his 9mm. You of course are talking real tactical situations. My thoughts are more to home and office. There have been a few violent jewlery store robberies here that just make you think about that and what you might do. Chiropractic offices don't tend to be a target yet we have had a few break ins and I often have to come in on off hours. No carry permits here in LA County.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The LA incident was ugly and would take away from this post more than I have already. But, again, a handgun to me is to get me to my longarm if possible.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gotcha but - you fellows there are in an offensive situation and we are in a defensive one.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats Griff! I agree - for semi-auto's, they haven't made one better than the 1911 yet! :D
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Congrats! I think it looks pretty good too. :wink:

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Took my wife shooting today. She hadn't shot the LCP I gave her for Christmas. For warm up I started her with my Phillipine built mil copy 1911, which I regard as a parts gun, sort-of.

First time firing a big bore hand gun. First time firing a semi-auto of any kind. I drew the sight picture in the dirt, had her dry fire a couple of times, and loaded her up. CLANG, CLANG, CLANG, DING, CLANG, etc. Made me think the 1911 must be a girl's gun! Mr. Browning was smiling today.

Gotta love a gun that anyone can pick up and start out with the bullets in the kill zone, with a little coaching. Women are easy to teach.

Her .380 was anti-climatic, but she did just as well with it. Now she wants a pocket gun the size and weight of the Ruger with the trigger of the 1911. What would that be?

Grizz
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: Glad its working out for you...
I have been thinking about a 1911 too....
of course i want a colt....but S&W and about a halfdozen
other have caught my eye.....and now I hear ruger has one for
just over 700 bills and its made here!

Anyone see one yet?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

20cows wrote:I'm a fan.
x2 :)
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

Grizz wrote:Took my wife shooting today. She hadn't shot the LCP I gave her for Christmas. For warm up I started her with my Phillipine built mil copy 1911, which I regard as a parts gun, sort-of.

First time firing a big bore hand gun. First time firing a semi-auto of any kind. I drew the sight picture in the dirt, had her dry fire a couple of times, and loaded her up. CLANG, CLANG, CLANG, DING, CLANG, etc. Made me think the 1911 must be a girl's gun! Mr. Browning was smiling today.

Gotta love a gun that anyone can pick up and start out with the bullets in the kill zone, with a little coaching. Women are easy to teach.

Her .380 was anti-climatic, but she did just as well with it. Now she wants a pocket gun the size and weight of the Ruger with the trigger of the 1911. What would that be?

Grizz
Try the FIC Mod D 380 locked breach ,scaled down model 70 . I have one and it's a CPA serial number.

Bob
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Congrats Griff! I pick up my first 1911 (and only the second pistol I have owned) in 2 weeks. I stumbled onto a great deal, for a Wilson Combat KZ-45. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Bob, I'll add that to my look-for list.