OT - new grips for my Ruger Super Blackhawk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - new grips for my Ruger Super Blackhawk

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A couple weeks ago I purchased a set of American Holly grips from our own C. Cash. These were for the Ruger Super Blackhawk, and he was selling them to help fund mission work for AIDS orphans in Africa. Great cause and great looking grips, so I figured I couldn't lose.

I was right! :D

Here's the grips:

My Ruger Super Blackhawk is an old model, made in 1973 just before the switch. The grips did not fit when they arrived, but were darn close. I told Chris I'd keep them - like I said, I figured I couldn't lose knowing where the funds where going - and decided to fit them myself. Not too hard - just didn't have a chance to do so until last weekend.

I was replacing a set of Jay Scott grips that my Ruger SBH has worn for about 30 years. I love these grips - they really fit my hand well. I actually already have three other grip sets for this revolver; the original walnut factory grips (too small), another set of Jay Scott grips, that are "white pearl" (too "pimpy"), and a set of ebony wood grips (very nice). Though I love the look and feel of the "black pearl" JS grips, a summer in the attic while I was in transition early in my career almost ruined them. One of the panels is split on the back, and both are warped a bit. Hard to tell with these pictures, but I can feel it - and I'm afraid any serious shooting with them will cause them to break completely.

So, long story short, Sunday afternoon I spend a little time with a sanding block and fit the grips. These are just beautiful. To me, American Holly looks and feels a lot like ivory - at a fraction of the cost. Here they are fitted - what d you think?

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: OT - new grips for my Ruger Super Blackhawk

Post by Sixgun »

Kid,
Funny you would post that as a bud of mine showed me a set made from holly last month. I was impressed and just last week I cut some big branches off of a holly tree out front.........so...............now I have to go out in the pasture tomorrow and scavenge some of the wood. Thanks!

They have a great feel and the color is very natural and close to ivory--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Good going Jay....those look really nice on your Old Model. I thought you would like the warm look of that American Holly. Very glad that you got them and that all worked out. Thanks for helping the kids!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

They look just great.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Wow, looks great Jay!

Y2K will be really happy with those!!!

Tight groups,

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

That's cool ! I didn't know about Holly grips.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Those are slick. C. Cash did you make those? If so great work they turned out beautiful.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I think they look great. I ws ignorant of holly grips until a couple of years ago.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old No7 wrote:Y2K will be really happy with those!!!
Did Y2K put you up to that...? 8)

Those 1970's Super-Blackhawks are really nicely proportioned guns. Hard to beat. Glad you got grips you like on yours.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

they look great!!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Jeremy-They are from "Pvt. Shultz" Grips here: http://www.privatescustomgrips.com/
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jay, that was a good deal all round, you even got to brush up on your wood working skills. :D

I wonder if English Holly is different to American Holly? Time to break out my saw.. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

C. Cash wrote:Jeremy-They are from "Pvt. Shultz" Grips here: http://www.privatescustomgrips.com/
I had Pvt. Shultz make me a set of ebony grips for my Montado and they look absolutely smashing. He does good work at a reasonable price.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Them look real nice. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

I got a plain set of Olive wood grips from CLC and they fit me well, but no where near as good looking as that Holly. Carey makes much nicer-looking grips than mine, but I had to get the cheapest set he had - which was still more than I have paid for a lot of guns in my life. :oops:

After seeing these, I think I might drag my "spare" flat top .44 Special out some day and start getting it ready to use. I think the Holly grips are the best-looking ones I have seen (matter of taste, I know) and would definitely make that my first choice next time.

Beautiful work and great cause.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ysabel Kid wrote:A couple weeks ago I purchased a set of American Holly grips from our own C. Cash. These were for the Ruger Super Blackhawk, and he was selling them to help fund mission work for AIDS orphans in Africa. Great cause and great looking grips, so I figured I couldn't lose.

<snip>
I was replacing a set of Jay Scott grips that my Ruger SBH has worn for about 30 years. I love these grips - they really fit my hand well. I actually already have three other grip sets for this revolver; the original walnut factory grips (too small), another set of Jay Scott grips, that are "white pearl" (too "pimpy"), and a set of ebony wood grips (very nice). <snip>
So, long story short, Sunday afternoon I spend a little time with a sanding block and fit the grips. These are just beautiful. To me, American Holly looks and feels a lot like ivory - at a fraction of the cost. Here they are fitted - what d you think?
<snip>
Jay,

It amazes me how our hands and perceptions of grip sizes vary so much. I consider the Ruger factory SBH grip size as way too large for me. I don't even like the regular XR3-RED size cos they are a bit too thick and they sit back too far from the trigger guard.

Now you asked what I thought about the American Holley grips; I love 'em. These are my CLC grips on my OM BH.
CLC yellowed AM Holley grips web a.JPG
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I think they are awsomely good looking :D Well done!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Joe in case you didn't notice, you started the whole American Holly thing around here! :lol: That pair on yours drove me over the edge. These were just a bit thick for me and I didn't want to mess with them, so glad Jay is the proud new owner. I think American Holly is the way to go if you want the look of Ivory, yet want something strong enough to beat up on.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Those ARE good looking. I like (but can't afford) real ivory and the plastic/polymer fake ivory that I've seen in person just doesn't appeal to me; but these do. I might have to give them a try, they certainly are affordable.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

C. Cash wrote:Joe in case you didn't notice, you started the whole American Holly thing around here! :lol: That pair on yours drove me over the edge. These were just a bit thick for me and I didn't want to mess with them, so glad Jay is the proud new owner. I think American Holly is the way to go if you want the look of Ivory, yet want something strong enough to beat up on.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've been looking for someone who sells one piece grips sets of American Holley so I can put a set on my IJ Cattleman. So far I've found zip.
When the $$$.¢¢ situation improves I have two more Rugers that will get a set of CLC AM Hollies. :D :D

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Those are really nice. I'd like to have a set for my Redhawk but I can't find anyone that makes them. :cry:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rusty wrote:Those are really nice. I'd like to have a set for my Redhawk but I can't find anyone that makes them. :cry:
Rusty,
Go over to The Ruger Forum: http://www.rugerforum.com/ and look there. I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one member there that makes RH grips.

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote:Wow, looks great Jay!

Y2K will be really happy with those!!!

Tight groups,

Old No7
HEY?!?

I get no support here whatsoever. If it was up to you scoundrels, Y2K would already have every gun I own and all I'd be left with is a pair of slipper! :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:A couple weeks ago I purchased a set of American Holly grips from our own C. Cash. These were for the Ruger Super Blackhawk, and he was selling them to help fund mission work for AIDS orphans in Africa. Great cause and great looking grips, so I figured I couldn't lose.

<snip>
I was replacing a set of Jay Scott grips that my Ruger SBH has worn for about 30 years. I love these grips - they really fit my hand well. I actually already have three other grip sets for this revolver; the original walnut factory grips (too small), another set of Jay Scott grips, that are "white pearl" (too "pimpy"), and a set of ebony wood grips (very nice). <snip>
<snip>
Jay,

It amazes me how our hands and perceptions of grip sizes vary so much. I consider the Ruger factory SBH grip size as way too large for me. I don't even like the regular XR3-RED size cos they are a bit too thick and they sit back too far from the trigger guard.

Now you asked what I thought about the American Holley grips; I love 'em. These are my CLC grips on my OM BH.
CLC yellowed AM Holley grips web a.JPG
Joe
Joe -

Those grips look great. I bet they feel even better than they look. I'm hooked on American Holly now... :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

damienph wrote:Those ARE good looking. I like (but can't afford) real ivory and the plastic/polymer fake ivory that I've seen in person just doesn't appeal to me; but these do. I might have to give them a try, they certainly are affordable.
I have some polymer grips, and if they are done right, they look pretty darn good. Unfortunately, well over half the sets I've seen have not been done right!

I'm hooked on American Holly now. These look great and just feel right. They feel warm like wood or ivory should. I have a couple grip designs I'd like to try out. Just have to save up the money to have them made.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
damienph wrote:Those ARE good looking. I like (but can't afford) real ivory and the plastic/polymer fake ivory that I've seen in person just doesn't appeal to me; but these do. I might have to give them a try, they certainly are affordable.
I have some polymer grips, and if they are done right, they look pretty darn good. Unfortunately, well over half the sets I've seen have not been done right!

I'm hooked on American Holly now. These look great and just feel right. They feel warm like wood or ivory should. I have a couple grip designs I'd like to try out. Just have to save up the money to have them made.
YK: I am guessing that I have never seen a set in person that were done right. I've seen pics on the internet where they were "aged" using tea, gave them a nice authentic yellowed look, but the ones that I have actually handled just looked like white plastic. About as appealing as the old plastic version of stag grips.

Those Holley grips look great.