Wipe-Out Brushless Solvent Experiment

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Wipe-Out Brushless Solvent Experiment

Post by JohndeFresno »

A long time friend recently introduced me to Wipe-Out Brushless Bore Cleaner. He stated that several match shooters are now using it because it's easy to use and very effective in ridding your gun of fouling - carbon, copper, brass, bronze, black powder, smokeless powder.

He told me how you just squirt it into the barrel, leave it alone for one hour or overnight with heavily fouled barrels, and then just swab it out. And... he said that it has no ammonia or other chemicals that will harm the barrel, as with other powerful cleaners. It sounded too good to be true, but he sounded pretty convinced, and the website made similar claims. See:
http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

I bought three cans; two for experimentation, one for him (so that he can pay for it and 1/3 the shipping - cheaper than just buying one can). What I discovered really impressed me.
You just shoot the contents from the can into a barrel. It expands like crazy - like pressurized whipped cream. You will see that muzzle of my .44 Magnum is plugged pretty deeply with a bore swab. The first time I put the can to the muzzle of the handgun and pressed the button, six tall streams of white goo shot straight up from the end of the barrel. It sure cleaned out those Taurus recoil compensator holes!

It is easy to apply the cleaner - shake the can, place the applicator nozzle into the barrel, and press the button. But the cans come with some red plastic straws that are too small to properly fit over the nozzle of the can - they crack. You can use the hooded nozzle if you shoot the cleaner into the muzzle. But there will be times that you want to start from the breech area, and you can't get the can into position. You are wise to spend about 3 bucks more and get the special hose adapter for those jobs that require you to apply the cleaner from the muzzle, as with this handgun (because of the compensator).

The instructions called for resting the barrel horizontally for about an hour; or overnight to 36 hours if it is badly fouled (as with the first application).
I'm pretty particular about cleaning my firearms. However, I shoot molybdenum coated cast bullets regularly through my .44's. And I had heard that the moly itself can coat the barrel, possibly creating an opportunity to trap moisture between it and the steel. Sure enough, this cleaner, after sitting for two hours, showed me some fouling. Not a lot, but you can see the gray stuff. I ran three patches through, and still saw the evidence.

It was time to try this miracle of chemistry overnight. So I shot the foam back into my Taurus and left it alone for 28 hours. While I was at it, I applied the stuff to some other firearms.

The most dramatic results were with a .30-30 levergun that frequently fires both cast lead and jacketed bullets, as shown below.

Taurus .44 Magnum revolver
The overnight soak loosened up some more gunk, apparently moly, and after the third, tightly fit patch on a jag, the gun was almost whistle clean. I will use some Prolix on it (my favorite lubricant and overall cleaner, now) and follow through. I noted several tiny shiny particles of what could only have been lead on the first patch after the overnight soaking.

The Wipe-Out website explains that this material is not a lead solvent, and there is a discussion about the result electrolysis eating up the barrel with that type of cleaner. However, the site explains that the other elements in the lead bullet are attacked - antimony, tin, etc. - and so the lead breaks loose and comes off in your patch. Well, it looks like that is true.

Colt .357 Magnum Python
OK, I recently fired some moly coated .38 rounds out of this gun. Just a couple of cylinders, maybe three. But prior to this, I have fired many lead and jacketed rounds, and have cleaned it rigorously after each session, having owned this gun for around 38 years.
Guess what - this Wipe-Out stuff found something - maybe the moly coating - and one patch took it out, after the overnight soak. The next patch was clean.

Nylon 66 .22 LR semi-auto rifle
This rifle is hard to clean, normally, because there is no way to secure the bolt; you have to hold it back while you mess with the cleaning rod (or the Bore Snake, which is what I generally use). The gun does not really lend itself to field stripping.
No problem. After reading about the properties of Wipe-Out very carefully, I just left the bolt closed and squirted the muck in from the muzzle until it started foaming through the crevices in the closed bolt. After cleaning, I applied Prolix, since it leaves a layer of micro-particles that safely lubricate your gun, including firing mechanisms (from what Chuck Hawks and others have been saying); and it does not harm or gum up the works.
The Wipe-Out product did indeed loosen up some more carbon and lead, even though I have regularly applied Hoppe's #9 to the bore after firing.

The third patch came out whistle clean! Wow, that was sure easy.

SKS 7.62x39mm Russian
In a Viet Nam era SKS carbine, several Wolf jacketed rounds had been fired. Some lead bullets were also fired in this gun - Junior Doughty's load of a Lyman 311041 .30-30 hard cast lead bullet is set on the second groove into the SKS casing. The gun had then been cleaned pretty thoroughly.
You can see the grayish traces (apparently residual lead, not cleaned thoroughly enough) and brown - which the Wipe-Out website identifies as carbon fouling. Hmmm... the owner of that gun will have to watch that.

Marlin 336 .30-30 - here is the kicker!
I fire lead and gas checked lead rounds in this gun. Several folks have told me, and have posted, that you can clean out your barrel after shooting some lead rounds by firing a few jacketed rounds. I clean my rifle after each shooting, but both lead and jacketed rounds have gone through it. This surprised me. Remember, this is after merely shooting some white foamy stuff into the barrel and leaving it overnight...
The patch was the same color blue as my Levis - that means copper fouling! Note also some evidence of lead fouling; the dark grayish matter.

Then, I ran a second patch through and it looked like this:
The third patch had no blue - the copper fouling is gone! There was a minor amount of dark gray, meaning that I will need to either do the Hoppe's #9 act to finish with the lead, or maybe just squirt this miracle stuff one more time. It is a bit pricey, but it sure works.

I am sold on this foamy cleaning solution.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Wipe-Out Brushless Solvent Experiment

Post by Blaine »

Good write up....thanks... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JBledsoe »

Don't let it touch the stock finish. Not good.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've never tried the stuff. Good write up. Looks like it gets out that which others don't.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Once I tried Wipe Out, everything else (cleaners) got thrown away. I experminted by cleaning barrels with the other top products (brush and patch combinations) to the point I knew they were 100% clean and copper/fouling free. I then applied Wipe Out (patch only) and found out they were not. I prefer the liquid form over the foam. There is less waste.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Good information and write up. Thanks for posting.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Try soaking that .30-30 barrel again. You'll likely get more copper still.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWIW, I have some GunSlick foaming cleaner that works....but, I've never compared the two....never heard anything but kudos for WipeOut :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

JBledsoe wrote:
Don't let it touch the stock finish. Not good.
Good point. From their website, toward the bottom of the Wipe-Out data:

"WIPE-OUT™ is practically odorless and non-flammable.
It contains a rust inhibitor, and will not stain hands of clothing.

It is safe for all modern paint, gunstock finishes and steels. It however is not safe for varnish , shellac or old oil type finishes. IT WILL REMOVE THEM.

It will dissolve brass, bronze, aluminum, and copper.

It will not dissolve lead but it will degrade lead so that it can be pushed out with a patch."

Thanks for the comments, all.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Very interesting experiment and post. It looks like I'll have to buy some also.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Bruce wrote:Once I tried Wipe Out, everything else (cleaners) got thrown away. I experminted by cleaning barrels with the other top products (brush and patch combinations) to the point I knew they were 100% clean and copper/fouling free. I then applied Wipe Out (patch only) and found out they were not. I prefer the liquid form over the foam. There is less waste.
I have ordered the applicator tube for a better fit - a lot of the foam got onto the garage floor and on the work bench when I shot the product into the breech end.

But I have also ordered their "Patch Out" - the liquid version that you just described. I will probably use that most frequently, since you can use a loose fitting swab soaked with the chemical to achieve the same (apparent) results. That sounds like a good way to do some quick cleaning between strings at extended range shootings, with less mess.

All products are available through Midway - just put "WipeOut" into the search engine. If you enter "Wipe-Out," the search engine misses it.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

One warning about this product. It keeps on working as long as it is present in a wet form. In other words, make sure your chamber and bolt face are dry before you chamber a round and leave it for any amount of extended time. I like to dry the chamber/bore for the last time, wait overnight and do the same one more time before I consider leaving a round in the chamber. I have not had a miss fire, but I have encountered a round that was cleaned before it was fired.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

That makes sense, Bruce.

Now I have a quandary. I was discussing this experiment with a friend who owns and shoots, regularly, far more firearms than I own. In fact, he was a Pistol Gold Medalist in the Police Olympics.

He swears by ordinary brake cleaner, which he claims does not hurt the barrel or even the blueing. I can't see how this could be possible; and perhaps he is just very careful in how he swabs the firearm; we were discussing several things at a coffee group, so I didn't get the full details. But the friend claims that his method is very cheap, probably one tenth the cost of this product (Wipe-Out).

Has anybody here heard about such a practice - using brake cleaner to clean out the barrel?
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I tried brake cleaner once and found it left some weird type of residue, almost like a film. It helped get the carbon out, but that was it. If you do a search you will find that brake cleaner can be very hazardous to your health if it is exposed to a heat source. One little puff and you are in real trouble. I think the can labels even say so. I currently use carburator cleaner to clean everything but the barrel. Just make sure to remove your wood.

As far as cost, once I have initially cleaned a barrel with Wipe Out, I find that subsequent cleaning's take very little product. Also, you don't need brushes, which I used to constantly wear out. Lastly, you do not need to oil behind it. To me it is a cost savings.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great report! Where is it sold? I only see the companies web-site offerring the product.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I might be mistaken, but didn't there used to be a sticky concerning the dangers of using brake fluid to clean bores?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank you for the update, Bruce.

My buddy is blessed with unbelievable health - he has never taken a sick day in some 30+ years of law enforcement, or in his previous job as a youngster; so maybe he was born on Krypton.

86er, thank you for kudos. All products are available through Midway - just put "WipeOut" into the search engine. If you enter "Wipe-Out," the search engine misses it.

Uncle Buck, WHOA - You are right! I vaguely remembered it when you mentioned it and found it under the "One Sticky...." section:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20091

Thanks; I'm going to email the link to my Superman friend. He mentioned that the stuff leaves a white film that he then cleans off with a patch or something; but we didn't have time to get into it. Why take a chance?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I used something like that (can't recall if it was Wipe Out or not) in a Gew88 that looked close to being a smoothbore and it worked wonders getting 100+ years of crud out.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

awp101 wrote:I used something like that (can't recall if it was Wipe Out or not) in a Gew88 that looked close to being a smoothbore and it worked wonders getting 100+ years of crud out.
Apparently, this stuff is safe for semi-autos, including gas systems, since it does not leave a residue. I have just squirted it into my M1 Garand. If something bad happens, I'll post. Otherwise, I'm proceeding with every gun I own.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Only good is going to happen. Be prepared to be surprised at what comes out of the barrel.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

John,

What does this Wipeout stuff smell like?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:John,

Joe
Roses, at least compared to some stuff. My dear wife HATES chemical odors and can smell whatever can I open in the basement. She never knows when I use Wipeout OR the Gunslick version.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,
Thanks. I'm in the same boat. All my gun doings is in the basement along with my wife's sewing area. Any chemical odors seem to just hang in the air and with our allergies we can't deal with them.

Joe
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Hobie wrote:
J Miller wrote:John,

Joe
Roses, at least compared to some stuff. My dear wife HATES chemical odors and can smell whatever can I open in the basement. She never knows when I use Wipeout OR the Gunslick version.
Yup - kinda pleasant and faint. My beloved wife has a condition where she cannot stand the smell of gun oil or cleaners lingering in the house. But this stuff was squirted into the guns in the garage and then the firearms were placed on towels in a bedroom to sit overnight. Then, after swabbing them out, I used Prolix to lube them while watching TV with her in the living room. No complaints with either product.

That is worth my switching over to these two products, by itself - I can clean the guns in the house, now (as long as I'm careful, of course :roll: ).
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

John,

I'm a cranky old hard headed guy that refuses to be pushed out to the garage. My stuff is just as important as hers. At least to me. So I usually do my gun cleaning with Hoppe's when she's not home. She isn't bothered by that odor but it sometimes gets to me. Kinda why I was curious.
Oh, and by the way, my garage is so full of her stuff, there's no room for my shooting stuff anyway. :x

Joe
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

J Miller wrote: ...I usually do my gun cleaning with Hoppe's when she's not home....it sometimes gets to me...
Joe
My situation is just the opposite. I love the smell of Hoppe's and gun cleaning stuff; it reminds me of happy hours at the range, and even my teens when I had a lot more time for hunting and so on. My wife, on the other hand, actually gets sick when she smells Hoppe's; so I have to cut her some slack!

Anyway, now we both are happy, and I'm cleaning my guns inside (after foaming them in the garage). I am eagerly awaiting the liquid version of this formula so that I can drop some papers and towels on the floor, run some wet patches in the bores, and do it all inside, if I feel like it.

UPDATE: Having "harvested" a huge amount of copper from my .270 Winchester bolt action rifle, I got a little too enthusiastic in cutting up a big, tight patch for the final dry wipe before applying a small amount of Prolix to the barrel for storage. I've never had a seriously jammed patch before.

I'm glad that somebody suggested purchasing some wooden dowels for stuck bullets. I had purchased a set from a local hardware store in preparation of developing some "catsneeze" loads, with specific application in a .45-70 levergun.

Thankfully, I have a dowel for every caliber. Today, I employed a 1/4" dowel , carefully tapped with a plastic hammer (also purchased for the purpose) to unstick the patch in the .270 Winchester. :arrow: I just thought that I'd put in a plug for having wooden dowels on hand for which ever caliber(s) that you use - and clean(!).
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

EDIT: Belay this post - see the next post by AWP101! - JdeF

IN RETROSPECT...

The Wipe-Out site (I think it was) will tell you that the majority of copper fouling is found towards the breech end of the rifle.

Given the procedures you must go through with a gas operated semi-auto rifle, it seems that the best way to do most of your cleaning is to stick a tight fitting bore swab or similar object in the muzzle that reaches all the down to the gas port in the barrel, and concentrate on doing the heavy cleaning for the rest of the barrel, most of the time. This would apply especially with the foam version, which shoots into and out of every conceivable hole.

You need to dry out the stuff from the gas system, because the stuff oozes everywhere. Getting to the gas piston for the M1 Garand is simple; but tearing down some firearms, most notably an old SKS, is pretty tough. And with that rifle, you have to remove the trigger group, magazine, bolt and barrel from the stock to get to the gas port release lever.

Those commies didn't want their troops messing with the rifle, it seems to me. I have to apply what seems like more than 50 pounds of pressure just to budge the little lock at the base of the trigger. Then, for reassembly (and I kid you not), I have to place the rifle upside down on two 2x4's and step on the bottom of the trigger guard to snap that stubborn little lock shut. And I weigh 200 plus you-don't-really-need to know! The spring is so stiff that the only other way I could snap the trigger group in is to have a large padded vice available to apply enough pressure to seat the trigger.

So... if you use the foam version of Wipe-Out on a piston operated firearm, I would suggest:
1) For occasional cleaning with complete a stripdown of the has system afterwards, use the whole barrel.

2) For occasional cleanings, plug the muzzle down to the gas port and shoot the stuff in from the breech. Otherwise, your five minutes of actual cleaning - application and then removing the fouling with three or less swipes of a patch - will turn into a full blown field stripping exercise.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Thu May 05, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

To get the gas piston out of an SKS all I had to do was flip the lever at the front of the rear sight base, point the rifle up or down (I forget which), lift the upper hg off and slide the piston out. That should give access to the gas port...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

awp101 wrote:To get the gas piston out of an SKS...
Checked this out....yup...yer right! Thanks; that saves a lot of time and trouble. I still have a lot to learn about that little carbine.