any pet loads for a B92 357 mag? (158gr SJ HP or SP)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

any pet loads for a B92 357 mag? (158gr SJ HP or SP)

Post by cvarcher »

Any good loads ? Please give results if you have them.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't have any 158 gr. loads for you. All I shoot in my 357 levergun is a 180 gr. cast with 16.0 gr. of LilGun. It's a dandy whitetail load and is cheap enough to shoot as a plinker too.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Using the 158 gr. Hornady XTP-FP I would load it over 18 gr. L'ilGun. The load is a dandy in my 1894C.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Hobie wrote:Using the 158 gr. Hornady XTP-FP I would load it over 18 gr. L'ilGun. The load is a dandy in my 1894C.
Four questions:
Why FP and not HP?
What kind of velocity do you get w/18grains of L'il Gun?
What is the max for this bullet and L'il Gun?
How would this work pressure-wise in a Rossi?

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

16.8 ww 296 -ww mag primer-158 gr hdy HP
Actually developed and tested this load with the old hdy jhp with exposed lead nose and dan wesson 6 in revolver-very accurate. Did chrono in both 24 in and 18 1/2 in marlins and if memory serves correct they were both in the 1800's and can't be shure, but think they were within 50 fps of another. Loaded some with the newer xtp, and shot well, but never gave a serious test.
Bottom line in my experience with jacketed bullets ussing ww296 and data from speer #10 manual (older higher pressure 357 data) The higher end loads gave good performance. These loads didn't pose any problems in my Dan Wesson, Ruger Blackhawk, my marlins, winchesters or Rossies.
They do make my charter bulldog rock :o and don't shoot many full tilt old spec loads in it.
Paco had an article in the articles section of leverguns.com and had a lot of load info for rifles if I remember correctly. Remember he had some hot loads with 2400 and cast bullets. 2400 is a good 357 powder, but is not as FOOL proof as 296 :P Check the articals section. Good luck
Dave
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

PMC 158 gr. SP.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

pharmseller wrote:
Hobie wrote:Using the 158 gr. Hornady XTP-FP I would load it over 18 gr. L'ilGun. The load is a dandy in my 1894C.
Four questions:
Why FP and not HP?
What kind of velocity do you get w/18grains of L'il Gun?
What is the max for this bullet and L'il Gun?
How would this work pressure-wise in a Rossi?

Quinn
FP is designed for the velocities you'll get the HP is not. 2000 fps is what I got from my carbine. 18 gr. is the book max. The pressure would work the same in any gun but every gun is different and so one should work up. That said, that is a 100% density load and it should not be exceeded unless you can trim your cases a bit long and your gun will take the longer case. Some guns, like Tycer's Win M94, are really a .360 DW.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Not to hi-jack the thread, but what will the 158 gr. FP XTP do in a pistol? I've got some loaded with 16gr. LilGun and 10gr of Bluedot that I've been plinking with. When shooting these out of my 6.5" Taurus, will they have enough velocity to make the FP perform correctly or should I switch to HP for deer sized game? I thought the FP was mainly for shooting out of a Carbine.

Thoughts?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

My pet load is 16.0gr of Lilgun behind a 158JHP.

I have tried 17 and even 18 but why lose accuracy to gain a little velocity?

18 was "stout". 17gr was still a little hot, but my gun liked 16.0 the best.

I even tried 16.5 and somehow 16 did it.
It's all about your gun.

There's going to be a velocity just sort of "vibes" with your particular gun.
Work up in increments, and when the group starts opening up again, go back to where it was most accurate.

Different powders, different weight of bullets, and different twist rates, barrel lentghs, and general construction of the weapon all combine to give you "what shoots best".

You'll know it when you get it right, and then go from there.
That's what I do, anyhoo.