.357 COAL in .38 Brass - I thought someone made a bullet...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

.357 COAL in .38 Brass - I thought someone made a bullet...

Post by wavetrain75 »

The rumor mill has told me that there is a bullet (projectile) made for loading .38/.357 that has two crimp rings so you can load a .357 load in a .38 case. You just set the bullet to the second ring and you get the correct volume inside the case for .357 as well as the correct COAL.

To clarify, I'm NOT talking about .357 loads at a .38 COAL, but instead, seating the bullet shallower and crimping to a lower ring on the bullet.

Just wondering if anyone can confirm or deny the availability of such magical projectiles. Lyman has been tossed around with this story. I do not cast my own bullets.

Sorry if this has already been beaten to death, but I didn't find anything when I searched for it.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: .357 COAL in .38 Brass - I thought someone made a bullet...

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

The bullet is Lyman 358156. The cannellure spacing isn't quite wide enough to do what you have been told, they are about .100 apart while the difference between .38 Spl & >357 Magnum is .135. They are gas checked. Someone may commercially cast this bullet, but I have no idea who. Basically they are cast by the end user.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

sounds like a nice project for you - make the mold and cast them.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I load both Zero (with canalure) and Berry's plated bullets (without) at 1.580" (357mag OAL) in my 38spl cases all the time with excellent success in both my Rossi leverguns and Uberti Cattleman SA. A medium crimp and you're done.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

COSteve wrote:I load both Zero (with canalure) and Berry's plated bullets (without) at 1.580" (357mag OAL) in my 38spl cases all the time...
Any chance of a picture? I loaded up a few dummies similar to that but never was happy with the crimp.
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

El Chivo wrote:sounds like a nice project for you - make the mold and cast them.
Hmmm...
COSteve wrote:I load both Zero (with canalure) and Berry's plated bullets (without) at 1.580" (357mag OAL) in my 38spl cases all the time...
Any chance of a picture? I loaded up a few dummies similar to that but never was happy with the crimp.