Foodsaver or other vacuum packing...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Foodsaver or other vacuum packing...

Post by Hobie »

I was reading about a Corsican ram and when it was mentioned that it was cut up and put in the freezer it made me think about those vacuum packing machines such as the Foodsaver. I've never owned one. We just used some brown butcher paper. I wasn't always happy with that. I was wondering, anyone here have anything good or bad to say about that method of packing? I understand they are also useful for packing parts, even whole guns. Yeas or nays on that? Kinda interesting in everyone's experiences and opinions.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Foodsaver or other vacuum packing...

Post by fordwannabe »

Hobie I have been using one for years, works well as long as you make sure it is sealed well. I double seal mine anymore, don't know if its my machine or the whole line but sometimes the seal would come undone just a little, but that is all it takes. The most useful thing for me, besides sealing meat, is sealing socks and underwear for hunts. If all elso goes phooey, at least I will have dry socks and unders.
Bags can be a little on the spendy side and I use the roll of uncut "baggie material so ican customize the bag to the item. Foodsaver brand. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I will NEVER discount the value of DRY SOCKS! That is, in fact, one of my intended uses! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

fordwanabe nailed it.
We have had one for years and use it all the time. I would never be with out one. We like to go to Sam's Club and stock up at the meat department. We get it all home portion it all out then seal it up with the food saver and put it in the deep freezer. I also use it to store my game meat.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

One of my son's friends gave a complete Foodsaver set/kit ( sealer, roll slicer, accessories, etc) to us for Christmas, several years ago when they were fairly new on the market - and that's ALL my family uses for ALL frozen meat, storebought and game.

We used to think it best to use the Foodsaver (brand) bags/rolls - but have actually found the rolls from WallyWorld (half the Foodsaver rolls cost) to work just as well.

(FYI, with rolls, a bunch of "lengths needed for bags are cut with the slicer in the kit, one end sealed to make a bag, then the other end sealed after the bag is filled)

There are only TWO basic musts:

1) Clean the sealing machine's seals & heat bar after EVERY use, or oftener if req'd.

2) Ensure the part of the bag to be heat sealed is CLEAN ( of blood, etc) before attempting to pull the vacuum.

The best meat/frozen results seem to be obtained when the machine's auto vacuuming takes over (about 3/4 through the sealing) - which removes most of the air in the bag; but I've also had NP with meats I sealed in a bag that wouldn't entirely "pull down" or go into automatic shrink fit.

The hardest part is the meat prep - portioning for the bag or meal capacity, trimming, etc.

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

fordwannabe wrote: sealing socks and underwear for hunts. If all elso goes phooey, at least I will have dry socks and unders.
not only dry, but they take up a whole lot less room. :wink:

also store any thing you don't want air getting to [primers in the freezer].
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I have a Foodsaver I bought expressly for packing cast bullets so they don't bang each other up in transit.

Works great, even for food :) Seriously, in the absence of air, food comes out of the freezer a LOT better, even after a lonnnnnng time.

A huge plus is the ability to waterproof and "smash pack" stuff for camping, etc. It's a great way to safely transport stuff.

You can even re-seal bags of chips and other stuff that comes in mylar bags (don't vacuum chips, LOL, just seal em).

I've even vacuum (gently, don't crush it) sealed my smart phone to make it waterproof for kayak fishing (the touch screen works through the mylar bag).
Certified gun nut
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

We've been using one for years. The only downside is the price they get for rolls of bag material.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I use mine a lot. The bags are not for long term storage.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Vacuum sealed meat last up to 3 yrs, no problem. We use ours for all the above reasons. I'm thinking of buying a bigger one from Cabelas to go with our other processing tools. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Very big thumbs up to vacuum sealing. I have a Foodsaver brand and I have eaten elk from 4 years ago that I could not tell from this year's frozen hamburger.

One key lesson: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS poke a hole in the bag before defrosting. If you defrost under a vacuum you will pull all the moisture from the meat.

When I vacuum pack fish I freeze the fish first overnight on waxed paper. Vacuum pack the next day. You get much better table fare that way.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

JReed wrote:fordwanabe nailed it.
We have had one for years and use it all the time. I would never be with out one. We like to go to Sam's Club and stock up at the meat department. We get it all home portion it all out then seal it up with the food saver and put it in the deep freezer. I also use it to store my game meat.
+1
We vacuum pack:
Clothes/socks/medicine (for camping). VP clothes take up much less space in the camper.
leftover soup (freeze first in tupperware,pop out then freeze)
meat (freeze till blood/liquids solidify then vacuum pack)
cheese
anything from the garden
seeds
nuts
coffee (beans or ground)
hard vacuum containers (made by foodsaver) greatly speeds up marinating
fish (freeze till blood/liquids solidify then vacuum pack)
On an on and on

You'll find uses even I haven't thought of.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I wonder if I can git bag material, big enough to vacuum pack my mother-in-law ? ;) :mrgreen:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote:I wonder if I can git bag material, big enough to vacuum pack my mother-in-law ? ;) :mrgreen:

I used commercial shrink wrap and a hair dryer..... :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I sold mine a few weeks ago in our yard sale. Freezer bags are such good quality now that we were never using it.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

We've used ours for years -- never lost any meat to freezer burn etc.. and never had any meat go bad.
ED
Yer never too old
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

They are well worth having Hobie.
We have been using one for a couple of years now and would not be without it.
My two married daughters think I have made a good investment too, but they have no idea where to get the plastic freezer rolls from :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................