Who has ALL they NEED? NOT want, NEED?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

Joe all a man needs is a rifle (30-06 perfered) a good shotgun (870)and one pistol (44 mag) and one 22 for small game so if this is all I need why do I have all theis guns. :lol:
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Who has ALL they NEED? NOT want, NEED?

Post by engravertom »

cubrock wrote:
Sometimes I ponder whether I should buy anything more or even thin down to what I will actually regularly use and get really good with those few guns. Seriously.
I'm there, although I DID buy a second 30-30 on Thursday!

It is the same gun as my other, post 64 pre safety (A new collectible category, right?! ) so parts can interchange, same caliber, same operation. I intend to buy a few more as i am able. i do have wife and 5 kids! For my purposes, hunting/battle rifle is covered right there.

#1 in 45-70, 20 gauge bolt action shotgun, a few 22s, plus my 357 blackhawk makes me one who has the needs covered. Wants? Upgrade where possible, ie better 20 ga shotgun, add similar compatible funs that agree with the ones I already have, same mechanism, same caliber.

I have a USFA 38 revolver in the works, for example.

Just sold two semi auto handguns, that allowed the 30-30 purchase. benefit? Narrow the handgun focus, eliminate two calibers of ammo to stock, get a duplicate gun in the 30-30. It's all good!

Tom
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

I have all I need but want more gotta go gun show this weekend :lol: :D
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Another take on the all you need thread:

First, I have already answered the question with a simple: I have all I need.
Actually, I have far, far more and am planning a Large sell off in '09, putting alot of thought into it and keeping much more than I really need but really cutting back.

Now to my point, another post on Jeff Quinn got me back to the Gunblast.com site again (simply the best gun review site there is). I just read the article and found the answer to the "need" question:

http://www.gunblast.com/Rossi-Trifecta.htm
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I had my 12 ga. single-barrel "PCS" gun 35 years ago. That's all I "need". Of course, that depends on who is defining "need"... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I own lots more guns than I NEED, but still WANT more. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

More than "needed" but who's counting?
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

1894 wrote:For now, all I "need" is a Marlin 39 (A) just a presaftey and a shooter , to come along when the $$$ coinside :D
After carefull reconsideration :lol:
I recalled reading here that everyone should own at least one 30-30. Since I've never owned one , or even fired one , but have the loading dies for one, I guess that is on my need list as well.
Phil
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

buckeyeshooter wrote:This is not even a fair question. I have all I 'need' by a large margin. But not cloes to all I want.
+1
Chad
Paco
Site Owner

Post by Paco »

[b] :wink: THE LORD HAS BEEN GOOD, HELPED ME REPLACE ALL THE GUNS I LOST.. NOT THE EXACT SAME KIND, BUT COVERING ALL BETS... I'M THANKFUL TO HIM.... PACO[/b][/b]
PACO/OWNER
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I guess you have to define "Need". I would hate to go without a good .22 rifle and I have that covered well. A good shotgun is a need for me, my 870 I bought 35+ years ago or Dads old 11-48 Remington I inherited will do. With those I guess I could feed cloth and defend myself so I guess I don't really need the .22 handguns, the .357s and .44mags both rifle and handgun, the 30-30, the .303 and .308 Enfields, the .45autos......but I don't think I'll have a big selloff either. :D
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I reached a point in the past where I had acquired all of the guns that I needed, fortunately for me that my needs keep changing :wink: enabling me to continue in my quest to acquire more guns! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You could think of it 'from scratch':

Rimfire - (quiet, and cheapest to shoot long term and ammo compact and lightweight) get a handgun and a long gun - i.e. 10/22 and Mark II or 39a and Single Six

Shotgun - one should cover the basics - Pump 12ga, perhaps with a 20"rifled slug barrel and a longer shot barrel. Or just a 'house' barrel.

Centerfire - you could cover most needs with a DA revolver and a levergun, say in .357 or .44.

If you like to hunt bigger game, add a .45-70 or a 7mm Mag (or both!) depending on the range you hunt.

If you like to punch paper or varmints, a .223 bolt gun if you are a traditionalist, or just get a 'varmint' upper for an AR-15 or rebarrel/gas port a Mini-14 if you want something more like a M1-A.

If you want a bad times gun, or just like firepower, a 1911 handgun, and a .308 or .223 (see above) semiauto.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

That's 2 rimfires, a shotgun, and two centerfires for your 'core' guns.
Add a 'big' gun, a semiauto, and maybe a second centerfire pistol, and you've totaled only 8 guns, which if selected carefully, could make you feel like you have a very adequate battery/collection!

I don't have all these, but as a mental exercise, consider:

Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark-II (why not semiautos since you don't save rimfire brass?)

Mossberg 500 with short cylinder choke barrel, rifled slug barrel, and shot barrel.

Ruger Redhawk 44 mag and Marlin 1894 44 Mag

Bushmaster 'Varmint' AR in 223, with extra 'shorty' upper

Colt or Para 1911 45 ACP

--- so far seven guns costing maybe $3,500 , and you're only reloading three cartridges, plus perhaps shotshells ---

EITHER a .45-70 Guide Gun, an M1-A, or an Encore with multiple barrels.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

AJMD429: In Pa, we have a flintlock only season for deer. So here, I had to add that in my need catagory. Looking at your list, I have it covered almost exactly. I .22 covered in pistol and rifle, Centerfire pistol in .45 (instead of .44) , A 45-70, a 12 ga, and .308 and .45acp, I have a .44 lever gun but since I got rid of the .44 pistols, I am ditching it. I added a ccw .38 and an extra .22 but I have to agree with your choices.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Used to be a book by Mel Tappan (Tappin?) called "Survival Guns" and we practically sudied it in high school. The author even queried the 'gunnies' of the time like Jeff Cooper, and listed their thoughts on the ideal 'battery' of 6 to 12 guns, or a 'core' battery for a family, plus ones for each individual.

Something to think about gradually helping your kids to accumulate - some of the stuff they may be able to legally OWN, but not BUY.

Note you can just get a stripped AR receiver now, fairly cheap, and even if you don't flesh it out for years, at least you have it grandfathered in.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

For .22; A standard auto, single six and a 10/22.
For centerfire handguns; a .44 Super Blackhawk and a 1911.
For long guns; a .44 lever and an FR-8 .308.
A SXS .20 ga. for my wife and one for me.
Grace and Peace.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I was thinking about this post as I drove to a small show in Toledo yesterday. I think I have everything i need w/ the exception of a flintlock for PA muzz. season.

Need-( to me)
I have two excellent 22 pistols, S&W 17 & Colt Match Target.
.22 rifles, 10/22 & Martini .
1911 & Blackhawk 45acp/45Colt.
Shotguns, Model 12, 20 gage and M 97 Riot.
Centerfire bolts, 222 Rem Sako, Custom Sprinfield lightweight sporter, 30-06.
Levers, 1895 marlin 45-70, Marlin 1894S 45 Colt.
EBRs Colt Lightweight and Springfield SOCOM16.

Have ( Too many :D )

Then when I got to the show I found that I needed the neat little H&R 12 Ga. w/ the 18 1/2" barrel lying on a table for $100!
On And on it goes :D

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Of course, once you get that perfect little 'battery' of core guns, you just have to go out and get something weird you don't really need - an Encore rifle with bull barrel in .380 ACP or some such... :twisted:

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

you know it is probably admitting to a sickness, but i can no longer tell my gun needs from my gun wants....maybe i never could or i wouldn't have to stand up in this Guns Anonymous meeting and say "my name is cable and i have a problem"
cable
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Need? Not a thing.

Like to have? Several.

Fact is, about 2 years ago I decided on a Quality vs Quantity policy regarding my collection and shooting interests. For example: I was really into Mosin Nagants and in 2006 has like 24 of them. Now I'm down to eight or nine, and all but two are Finnish variants.

I'm still slimming down the collection to what I need, (or think I need, heh-heh) plus a couple "nice to haves." I'm actually more satisfied with what's left.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Oh lord... I had evere gun I need 40 years ago. A good 22 and a 30-06 plus a handloading set up with do everything I want to do and then some. I ccould probably get by without the 22.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I knew I had a terminal illness when I got that 336 that had been reamed out to .358, knowing full well, I could not use full house loads in it...... :lol:
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

My gun buddy of 20 years and I have it down to a script for enabling each other's firearm purchases.

#1: "Should I buy this ________?"

#2: "Yes."

Sometimes, it goes a little longer...

#1: "But, I'm not sure if I need it.

#2: "Do you already have any like it?"

#1: (Yes or No reply)

#2: (answer to 'No') "Well then, Yes, you need it."
or
#2: (answer to 'Yes') "When then, Yes, you need it because those could break. Always have a backup."
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

On a need basis I am good.
For home defense I have several SA's in .45colt
2 shot guns 20ga and 12ga
Enfield
94 trapper .45
.50cal ML
.32cal ML
.22WMR

That covers me for North America
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

I have most of what I need, 444 Marlin for near to middle. 35 Whelen for middle to far. .22 for little and the other two for big. 12 gauge for birds and rabbits if I want them.

But I need a turkey gun and I just think It needs to be a Savage 24 o/u with .223/20 gauge in 24in barrels. That gun haunts me and I haven't found the right one yet.
JP_TX
444 Marlin