new addition to my levergun family

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

new addition to my levergun family

Post by longarm4146 »

just got back from Greensboro gun Show and I pulled the trigger again.
Bought from an individual a Winchester 1894 saddle Ring Carbine, circa 1922 in 38-55. i'd grade gun as NRA Good with a really nice bright bore that slugs .378. Had just enought time in the back yard to run 3 rds of .379 Hunters bullets over 19 grs of 5744 and got a 1 1/2 " group at 30 yds off -hand....Looks like it has potential. Wish I could post pics...still working on that..... :lol: :lol: :D
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Paco
Site Owner

Post by Paco »

:)LONGARM, HOPE THE RIFLE WORKS OUT WELL FOR YOU... I LIKE THE 38-55 CALIBER BETTER THAN THE 30-30... PACO :wink:
PACO/OWNER
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sounds like a good 'un. Hope you can get us some pics. :wink:
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

Yea, I agree Paco, am branching out from 45-70s now have a '86 in 40-65(circa 1896)a 1898 vintage 38-55 take-down that is now the brother to the carbine version, and also have a uberti highwall in 38-55.....gonna do some hunting next year with the '86 and 94s, not to mention some SASS sidematches.....starting to like these old Winnys
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Longarm,

Sounds like a great find you made there! Just the ticket for anything you could need a rifle for in the lower 48!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I am envious. Great spread. 1886.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Congratulations on a fine rifle! Would love to see a picture some day.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

longarm4146 -

Was up at the Greensboro gun show today as well. Went up this morning with my son, and met up with cubrock and walked the floor for a while. Cubrock bought a Winchester 71 shortly before I arrived. I was impressed with the levers - haven't see that many at any of the shows in Charlotte for quite some time.

Congrats on the new 1894. I remember seeing that one (at least I think I did), but it was gone when I came back around. Now I know why! You snooze - you lose (well, I did - you won!!! :D )
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

Y-KID, THIS RIFLE WASN'T ON A TABLE, A GUY FROM HIGH POINT THAT BOUGHT THE GUN IN NEW JERSEY IN 1972 HAD IT...HE WAS LIQUIDATING A FEW OLDER WINCHESTERS AND THIS WAS THE ONE HE HAD TODAY......AFTER LOOKING AT THE PRICES ON THE TABLES I SHUDDER TO THINK OF WHAT I'D HAD TO PAY FROM A VENDOR.....THERE WERE SOME GUYS FROM CAROLINA SHOOTERS FORUM THAT WERE GONNA MEET AT BACK AT NOON AND I WALKED BACK THERE BUT UNFORTUNATELY IF THEY WERE THERE I DIDN'T KNOW ANY OF THEM......REALLY MISSED T&T AND VALIANT NOT BEING THERE, AND THE BOOK VENDOR THAT IS USUALLY OVER NEXT TO THE WALL IN BIG ROOM, NEAR ED'S.

OOOPS, JUST REALIZED CAPS LOCK ON, BAD JUJU....WAS WRITING STAGES FOR TOMMORROWS COWBOY SHOOT AND OUR OLD EYES LIKE CAPS SORRY.....WISH I'D MET YA IN PERSON......
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The one I saw was on the right side as you came in, about the middle, nearer to the entry side versus the back of the room. I was tempted as I have heard a lot of positive comments on the .38-55 here on the forum.

This was my first GB show visit in about 7 years. Man was it packed - hard to walk around at times! I saw Dan-the-gun-man's table as well (another forum member). It was a good show - though it would have been nice to see T&T and/or Valiant as you note. I've reloaded with both, and they cast a mighty fine bullet, especially for the price!

Was drooling over a Ruger Old Army in stainless steel at $359 - couldn't believe my luck - until I looked down the barrel. What a sewer pipe! Rusted horribly... :( :shock: :evil: :cry: