I pulled the trigger!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bapak2ja
Levergunner

I pulled the trigger!

Post by bapak2ja »

I have been looking for a good buy on a lever action that I can use for deer in Indiana, home defense if bad times, and general plinking. After serious research I decided I wanted this one:

Marlin Model 1894 Cowboy 20" Octagon 357 Magnum, octagon barrel with Ballard type cut rifling, 10 shot magazine, 357 magnum straight grip stock. (I really wanted the 16" barrel because it would be easier to handle around the house if needed or a bit lighter in the bush, but they seemed to be very difficult to find.)

Recently I stopped by:

Tomlinsons Shooting Supplies Inc
8475 E US33 Suite G
Churubusco, IN 46723
info@tomlinsonshootingsupplies.com

They had a Marlin 1894C in .44 magnum. Brand new. Beautiful. Good price.

They also had a Marlin 1894C with a 16" barrel in .357, used, at a very good price. Seems Tomlinson's has an excellent repeat customer who often buys a new piece, shoots it a bit then trades it back for something else. This piece had about 150 rounds through it. Well, that little puppy just followed me home.

I took it directly to the range at H & H Fort Wayne (yep, I can shoot pistol caliber rifles at the indoor range!). First mag (ten rounds, Blazer 158 gr JHP .357 magnum—cheapest I could get at H & H; .38 Special was sold out), I had a 2.5" group, a bit high and right of bull's eye, at 25 yards. Not bad for these 60-yr-old eyes with the original steel sites. I put another 40 rounds through it, and the rifle proved as accurate as I am.

I discovered that this rifle will snag a bit when I work the lever. On two occasions I thought I was out of ammo, but when I checked to be sure I discovered the lever had not functioned perfectly. The cartridge was there, the lever just snagged on the way. I found that I needed to work the lever with authority for it to work properly. Lesson learned. Other than this small matter, the rifle worked perfectly. I like this one. It's a keeper.

If you are in the area, stop in to talk with the folks at Tomlinson—especially the big guy with the long beard. They know their firearms. They are willing to talk and to share their knowledge with rookies. They are willing to negotiate on their used weapons, and they have a very good selection—new and used.

OK, nuf said.
Last edited by bapak2ja on Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: I pulled the trigger!

Post by RKrodle »

Congratulations on the rifle. I had a 1894 CB with the long barrel in 357 and it was a very good shooter and would even feed the CCI snake shot rounds. Great rifles and you will gets lot of enjoyment out of it.
Ricky

DWWC
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Are you in Busco? I stop in Tomlinsons every few months just to look around.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

bapak2ja@mac.com wrote:

They also had a Marlin 1894 Cowboy with a 16" barrel in .357, used, at a very good price. Seems Tomlinson's has an excellent repeat customer who often buys a new piece, shoots it a bit then trades it back for something else. This piece had about 150 rounds through it. Well, that little puppy just followed me home.
Only one of those followed you home? 44 mag is pretty nice: I'd bet you would like it!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have one of those and it has a 4x Leupold compact. I think the best group I got with it was about 1 1/2" at 100 yds. PMC 158 I believe and mine snags a bit too when you work the lever.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Minor deteil/correction - "Marlin 1894C in .44 magnum" - I don't think the "1894C" is ever a .44 Magnum in Marlin nomenclature (I may be wrong on that).

You'll love that gun. After recently disassembling my Rossi .357 it reminds me how much nicer the Marlins are to fiddle with.

For hunting use you may find your best sight option to be a Williams FP that you sight-in with the aperture in place, and then remove the aperture for a 'ghost ring' effect. It is really a fast sight, and the only faster one I've found is the Marble's Bullseye.

Here's a bunch of sight pics I took a ways back, if they're any help:

(link to top of post - scroll down for pics) = http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ps#p390174
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Once again, if you're having an issue with a Marlin 1894, I suggest you look over the hints, fixes and work arounds offered over on Marauder's Rifle & Pistol Hints page down in the Marlin section. If Adirondak Jack recommends it... it's gotta be good. (And as I recommend the section on Rossi's quite often, and know Marauder), they ain't gonna steer ya wrong.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great presentation there AJ.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bapak2ja
Levergunner

Post by bapak2ja »

JReed wrote:Are you in Busco? I stop in Tomlinsons every few months just to look around.
I'm in Fort Wayne, just off Carroll Road. I drive up there occasionally, but I went there this time to check out the inventory—hence, the new addition to my arsenal.

I plan to visit Busco more often now that I have found out about the shooting range south of there with up to 100yd options for only $25/yr membership fee.
bapak2ja
Levergunner

Post by bapak2ja »

earlmck wrote:
bapak2ja@mac.com wrote:

They also had a Marlin 1894 Cowboy with a 16" barrel in .357, used, at a very good price. Seems Tomlinson's has an excellent repeat customer who often buys a new piece, shoots it a bit then trades it back for something else. This piece had about 150 rounds through it. Well, that little puppy just followed me home.
Only one of those followed you home? 44 mag is pretty nice: I'd bet you would like it!
I actually thought about it. Then I decided I preferred to stay married. :D
bapak2ja
Levergunner

Post by bapak2ja »

Old Savage wrote:I have one of those and it has a 4x Leupold compact. I think the best group I got with it was about 1 1/2" at 100 yds. PMC 158 I believe and mine snags a bit too when you work the lever.

Great photo! That is the puppy! I am still debating putting a scope on it. I enjoy the "authentic cowboy" look, but these eyes do not do well beyond 25yds, even with my long distance contact. :(
bapak2ja
Levergunner

Post by bapak2ja »

AJMD429 wrote:Minor deteil/correction - "Marlin 1894C in .44 magnum" - I don't think the "1894C" is ever a .44 Magnum in Marlin nomenclature (I may be wrong on that).

You'll love that gun. After recently disassembling my Rossi .357 it reminds me how much nicer the Marlins are to fiddle with.

For hunting use you may find your best sight option to be a Williams FP that you sight-in with the aperture in place, and then remove the aperture for a 'ghost ring' effect. It is really a fast sight, and the only faster one I've found is the Marble's Bullseye.

Here's a bunch of sight pics I took a ways back, if they're any help:

(link to top of post - scroll down for pics) = http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ps#p390174
Thanks!! I will check out those sights.
bapak2ja
Levergunner

Post by bapak2ja »

Griff wrote:Once again, if you're having an issue with a Marlin 1894, I suggest you look over the hints, fixes and work arounds offered over on Marauder's Rifle & Pistol Hints page down in the Marlin section. If Adirondak Jack recommends it... it's gotta be good. (And as I recommend the section on Rossi's quite often, and know Marauder), they ain't gonna steer ya wrong.
Good to know the experts and reliable sources of information.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

bapak2ja wrote:
JReed wrote:Are you in Busco? I stop in Tomlinsons every few months just to look around.
I'm in Fort Wayne, just off Carroll Road. I drive up there occasionally, but I went there this time to check out the inventory—hence, the new addition to my arsenal.

I plan to visit Busco more often now that I have found out about the shooting range south of there with up to 100yd options for only $25/yr membership fee.
Ah ok. For now I am up here in Auburn. Churubusco H.S. is one of the schools I work so I get out there quit a bit. I am only here in IN. for 2 more months we will have to meet up before I move.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Richard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richard »

My 1894C is .357/.38 and I've read here changing to a solid firing pin smooths things out. That's next on the list along Williams sights. (Love the 4x Leupold though!)
Congrats on the rifle . . . . :D
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” — 1 Corinthians 2:9
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I have an 1894CB in. 357 also,
I put a set of brass Skinner sights on mine.
great lever gun, congrats!

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
bapak2ja
Levergunner

Post by bapak2ja »

I took the Marlin 1894C in .357 to North Carolina with me. I really enjoyed shooting it, but it took me a while to get used to it. Here are the best results I achieved at 25yds. I rested my elbow on the table for all the shots. Targets are posted in the order in which they were shot. I put 3-4 rounds on target, checked for accuracy, adjusted and fired, then checked again.
IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg
IMG_0320.jpg
I concluded the rifle is accurate and I need more practice. I will not need momma to threaten a whupping if I do not practice—like she had to do with the piano. :-)

Doubt I will get out to the range this weekend, but spring will have to show up in Indiana sometime soon. Love the smell of gun smoke on a hot morning!! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I think you picked a winner. Life's more fun with a levergun.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations! Ain't it great to find exactly what you're looking for :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I thought those were all the slickered up 38 Special models?

Regardless, nice catch!!

You might consider putting a "micro dot" on it- small red dot.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JBledsoe »

O.S.O.K. wrote:I thought those were all the slickered up 38 Special models?

Regardless, nice catch!!

You might consider putting a "micro dot" on it- small red dot.
The standard Cowboy model is a 38 Spec/357 Mag rifle. The Cowboy Competition model is the slicked up 38 Spec. only.