OT - I'd like to talk about "Jug Chokes"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

OT - I'd like to talk about "Jug Chokes"

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've had thoughts about cutting down the barrel on my Winchester 1300 Ranger. Right now it's 28" and I'd like to get down to 21 or 22". I've checked on having the cut, reamed and threaded but ue to the thickness (or lack there of) it doesn't sound feasable. Plus it would cost me about the same as a new barrel, $200. So I'm thinkin about cutting it and trying a jug choke.

Opinions and comments?

LK
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - I'd like to talk about "Jug Chokes"

Post by retmech »

You can back bore it. Choke is essentially the constriction difference between the bore and the choke. If you increase bore size .015 except for the last 2" you would have roughly a modified choke. I don't know how much choke you want and am not familiar with the effectiveness of jug chokes.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I on the other hand am quite familier with jug chokes, I blew the last 12"s off of my double 10 ga, I jug choked it, the only problem with jug chokeing the barrel is that it is difficult to know how much choke you have, anyway this is how I did it, after to talking to an old timer who used to do it on BP shotguns, wish I could remember his name, anyway I took a peice of dowl wood, sloted one end of it and attached a long peice of emery cloth, then stuck it in the barrell's and spun it by hand, unless the barrel is chrome plated it will cut quite fast, considering you don't realy need to cut much out, what you are doing is making a place in the barrell shaped something like a jug the idea is that the shot cup opens up just a little then closes back down and the closing down action is what "Chokes" your load, I eventualy sent the gun down to TX. and hadn Brylie choke it for me, I don't think the screw in chokes are any better then I had it with the jugging that I did.
If you would like more detail PM me.
Terry
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Okay, when I read the word “Jug” why did the name Old Savage come to mind? :roll: :)
I really need help :lol:
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

casastahle wrote:Okay, when I read the word “Jug” why did the name Old Savage come to mind? :roll: :)
I really need help :lol:
:shock: :lol: 8)
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

If you measure the nomimal bore diameter around 10" from the breach you'll know the bore size. I can cut any choke that retains industry spec bore diameter for $45. Any decent gunsmith should be able to do it. I don't know about "jug" chokes but we cut chokes with a tapered reamer. It's pretty straight-forward.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Here is a link to a well known shop that does jug choking for muzzle loaders.
http://www.caywoodguns.com/Jug%20Choking.htm
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Terry, I had heard of 3 methods of a home brew jug chokes. One was the method you describe, emery cloth. Another was a stone hone you chuck up in a drill (available at Brownells) and the third was a standard brake cylinder hone. I've read that you need to "expand about 4 1/2" of the barrel starting 1-2" from the muzzle. Any way, when you say a long piece of emery cloth are you running it the long ways down the bore? How long did you use?

86er, how do you "cut" in a choke with a reamer? Are you installing tubes? By your discription it doesn't sound like you are. The local "so-called" smith said that he couldn't install a choke in the shortened barrel except to ream the barrel and then solder a threaded portion on which takes other choke tubes. He quoted around $200 including 1 new tube. But then again, due to some inquiries about other projects I've come to find he doesn't know his hat from his shorts. A lot different than $45.

Anyway, I'm looking for a modified choke but I'd still like to stay with tubes if I can. But not for $200. This gun will be a small game, coon and predator gun.

Chris
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've seen several guns with the Remchokes retrofitted. I was told (and we all know how reliable 2nd hand info is) that it wasn't at all expensive which is why it was done. I can't imagine a 1300 not having sufficient barrel thickness, these things have the Winchoke as original equipment and the threading IIRC is coarser than the Remchoke.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

In fixed choke installation a reamer is used to get a certain diameter and then a sleeve is silver soldered in place, and the muzzle is refinished. Also, there are plenty of places that will install a choke tube for less than $150 for one barrel. Look at Colonial Arms in S.C.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member