Choosing a Receiver Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Choosing a Receiver Sight

Post by BC in TN »

I have a couple of Marlin 336s and am afflicted with what some of you guys have oft complained about - just can't see a target through the buckhorn sights anymore. I picked up a few options in receiver sights and recently decided to try one of them on.
The first one out of the package was the heavy duty Brockman's. I'm just not as smart as many of you and honestly could not determine which way it was supposed to go on - like this? (Surely it is not supposed to hang off the back of the receiver like that)
or should it be placed like this? That just feels wrong. Oh well, I decided to learn to post pictures on here and ask you guys how it is supposed to go. I'll put the Brockmans on another rifle later on.
Next was the XS sight - see that little prong in the front? Guess what? It won't fit the pre drilled holes in the top of my Marlin (the prong is too big). There's a big sticker on the front of the package - "Fits 336". Was I supposed to thread the prong? The prong is supposed to fit one hole and there is a hole/screw for mating with the two pre drilled holes in the top of the receiver. I eyed my hammer but decided I might not ought to "make it fit" :)
I decided on the Williams and locked the rifle up (previous post on 336 lockup) before I could get any rounds downrange. Maybe I'll get the hang of this yet.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Choosing a Receiver Sight

Post by AJMD429 »

If you haven't seen the bunch of 'aperture' sight pics I posted aways back, here's the link:
Dunno if that's any help or not. Most of the 'fun' is just trying different stuff... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

The Brockman does hang over the back a bit, the first picture of it is correct.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BC in TN,

Glad I did all my 'experimenting' decades ago. I found what I like and don't bother with all the Johnny come latelys. I decided early on that the Williams FP or Lyman 66 series was what I liked and those are all I use.
Some older and newer lever guns will need drilled and tapped for them, but that's no big deal.

How you managed to lock up that Marlin by installing an FP on it is beyond me.
salvo wrote:The Brockman does hang over the back a bit, the first picture of it is correct.
Yuck, if that's the case I sure wouldn't spend the $$.¢¢ on one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I decided on the Williams and locked the rifle up (previous post on 336 lockup) before I could get any rounds downrange. Maybe I'll get the hang of this yet.

Image[/quote]

You might want to check both mounting screws, the one that goes under the slider is supposed to be a bit shorter than the exposed screw. One Williams sight I got a while back had both long screws, had to have the company send me the short one. HTH