OT: Request assistance on 336 Lockup - Solved

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Request assistance on 336 Lockup - Solved

Post by BC in TN »

I have a 336T that I have not fired. I've cycled the action a few hundred times and installed a Williams FP on it. I'm by no means an expert nor a gunsmith but I thought surely I could install a sight.
During installation of the reciever sight I noted that this screw did not tighten
After installation of the sight the rifle would not cycle. It locked up tight and would only open as far as pictured
I removed the sight completely but the action still would not open so I decided to start tearing things up. I managed to get the action open just a little more; I removed the lever and pulled and pulled and finally managed to remove the bolt. I found the extractor spring broken (or maybe I broke it while trying to force the action open). Anyway, now the bolt just does not want to fit - it is like it was not even made for this rifle! I have another 336 and understand the basic fit & function - I can disassemble and assemble the other one with no issue.

I've ordered another extractor and spring from Remington. In the meanwhile any suggestions?
Last edited by BC in TN on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT: Request assistance on 336 Lockup

Post by AJMD429 »

If the holes for that sight were recently drilled, there could have been a burr left on the inside; sometimes a pretty big piece of metal fllips up out of a whole and lays over to the side just as you complete the drilling; if that became wedged in someplace or got peened into a corner when the gun was reassembled, that could do it...?

Sure part of the ejector didn't remain in there somewhere...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Doc,
I'll look for metal shavings in there. The holes are factory holes - rifle made in the 1970s...
I did cycle the rifle effortlessly a few hundred times - put the sight on then the lockup. Removed the sight but still locked up - I know it does not make sense.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I posted a very thoughtful reply earlier but then went back and read you had removed the sight, so deleted it.

Basic troubleshooting 101.

You had a known good state. You introduced a variable - the sight. So initial thought that may have had something to do with it.

Point of clarification - extractor or ejector spring?

Bolts are sometime squirrely, but sit down with a cup of coffee and fiddle with it, eventually it will drop back in. I would try inserting it *without* the lever first.

And before that I would get a very good light source and look all through the inside of the receiver for any dents, dings or broken pieces of metal gumming up the works.

Wish you were nearby. Bet we could sit down, look it over and figure it out in just a couple of minutes.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Anyway, now the bolt just does not want to fit - it is like it was not even made for this rifle! I have another 336 and understand the basic fit & function - I can disassemble and assemble the other one with no issue.
I've ordered another extractor and spring from Remington. In the meanwhile any suggestions?[/quote]
Without looking, I would suggest looking on the inside of the mortise for the bolt... I suspect that in bottoming out, that screw has moved a spur of metal into the path of the bolt. Possibly hangin' up in the slot for the locking lug.

Remove the lever and locking lug and shine a light up in there. You might be able to see it and force it back outta the way.

Just a guess, mind ya...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Request assistance on 336 Lockup - Solved

Post by BC in TN »

Opens & closes properly now.

The problem almost had to be the broken small loop in the mating end of the spring - I did find it loose in the reciever.

I appreciate the responses & assistance. I now have a Williams FP on my rifle. It seems bulky. I wonder if the sight will catch/hang on things in the woods?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have NEVER had a receiver sight catch on anything anywhere except the aperture might catch a bit of fluff from the "shearling" inside of the gun case. You have that big lever, long barrel, etc. and you're worried about that itty-bitty sight? :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Man, that cheap tapered screwdriver scares me. before you go tearing into the gun get yourself some good hollow ground gunsmithing screwdrivers with bits that FIT the screws. You are asking for burred screws using screwdrivers like the one in the photo.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Mike, thanks for the tip - I've got a fair set of screwdrivers. I used the one in the photo for contrast & as a pointer.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BC in TN wrote:Image
Ain't that the ejector, instead of the extractor...? :wink: :oops:

As far as the sight 'catching' on things, I find it does so far less than
  • a typical 'open' rear sight',
    a scope, or
    even a Marbles 'Bullseye' barrel-mounted ghost-ring
Maybe a Burris Fastfire-II holographic sight is less 'snagging', but otherwise hard to beat the Williams FP.

I sight in mine off the bench with the aperture, but generally leave the aperture OUT during normal use, for a 'ghost-ring' effect.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Yes Sir, ejector instead of extractor
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Whoo Hoo! I claim part of the troubleshooting points for guessing the problem.

And I have that same Brownells screwdriver set. Expensive? Moderately so. BUT IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY! I can't stress how important it is to have a good screwdriver set in our little hobby.

Go ahead and complain about the cost. One firearm may be three, five or many more times the price of this screwdriver set. Bugger up a couple screws, and yes, an educated eye can tell, you just dropped the resale value of that firearm. Do that to two or three guns and you just paid for the set.