Snowshoes ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Snowshoes ?

Post by cshold »

Short story…
Found these dusty never used shoes hanging on a wood beam in a used
furniture barn yesterday. $40.00 later they came home with me.
What do I have here?
Did I get price gouged?
I know absolutely nothing about snowshoes.
I think they look way cool hanging on the wall though 8)
Last edited by cshold on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hobie

Re: Snow Shoes ?

Post by Hobie »

Good snow shoes of any type are at least $40, even mil surp metal framed snow shoes. Those bear paws are neat!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Excellant buy 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

They aren't Snowshoes anymore, They are "Art" and They look perfect where U have them. Makes the Picture.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've seen those antique snowshoes go for several hundred dollars
a pair.

I'm no expert, but like Hobie says, even the milsurp ones go
for $40. (The milsurp ones are, by the way, excellent in deep snow.)

Ya done good!

-Stretch
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

What the others said, I prefer using the Youkon style snow shoes, but those Bearpaws do look good especialy up there with the guns!
Terry
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool. I watched a "How it's Made" a while back that showed someone make a pair of snow shoes like that. It was really interesting.
Old Law Dawg
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Those snowshoes appear to be US military surplus. If you look over the frames very carefully you will find that they were made in Missouri. In addition there should be two metal claws on each side of the cross piece where the ball of your foot rests and will pivot into that hole in order to ascend a slope.

You did not over pay for these snowshoes. You will find that the floatation is not as much as a set of say Alaskan or Maine style. These were made for maneuvorability and they work very well on icy and crusty conditions. Bear in mind that as snowshoes age they do weaken. What happens is that the wood frame beings to lose moisture and will eventually weaken and break. Then again I have used a pair of snowshoes that belonged to my grandfather that I relaced and refinished. They are about one hundred years old and held my frame up on the snow in some rough conditions.

One thing to remember is that if you relace and refinish the antique value is gone. I chatted with a snowshoe collector who hinted at my grandfather's shoes being worth close to $1500. That was before I relaced them. But so what. I wore them afield.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Snowshoes ?

Post by cshold »

See you guys are great,
I already learned “snowshoes” is one word… :lol:
I don’t think these shoes are too old.

On each frame is stamped:
"Bear Paw 13 X 29"
"Made In Canada"

Also on the top forward strut is stamped:
“Gander Mountain” (with there logo)
“Made In Canada”

I for one never saw snowshoes for sale at my local Gander. :shock: :)
Last edited by cshold on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Nice...
Reminds me of the movie Death Wish...with Charles Bronson running through the mountains
with shoes very similar to those...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

great price. nice firelock you've got hanging there.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

You used to find new snow shoes sold in a lot of outdoor type stores, The Canada made ones were usually the rawhide type, but I've seen them laced with nylon rope too. Yours are the "Bearpaw" style used for better maneuverability in brush or heavy forest, they don't float as good as the Huron, or Michigan style, which is a common all round style. Then you get the long Alaskan or cross country style for more open ground.

Now, most new shoes are aluminum framed with plastic type panels instead of lacing, lighter, better flotation, built in crampons, smaller, and generally much easier to use, but definately not as cool looking as the traditional types. :D
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

gcs wrote:You used to find new snow shoes sold in a lot of outdoor type stores, The Canada made ones were usually the rawhide type, but I've seen them laced with nylon rope too. Yours are the "Bearpaw" style used for better maneuverability in brush or heavy forest, they don't float as good as the Huron, or Michigan style, which is a common all round style. Then you get the long Alaskan or cross country style for more open ground.

Now, most new shoes are aluminum framed with plastic type panels instead of lacing, lighter, better flotation, built in crampons, smaller, and generally much easier to use, but definately not as cool looking as the traditional types. :D
Those Canadian ones are/were good ones. I have a pair that I bought about 15 or 20 years ago marked "Alaska" made in Canada. I had a pair of Bearpaw ones, too. I use my wooden ones when out snowshoeing with friends, even though I've got a new pair of aluminum ones with the plastic panels. After all, I am an Ol' Geezer and need to maintain my image.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Hobie wrote:Good snow shoes of any type are at least $40, even mil surp metal framed snow shoes. Those bear paws are neat!
Yep - I just saw surplus snow shoes for $40 yesterday and they weren't nearly as beautiful as those.
I'm betting that a pair like that would pretty expensive to have made. I have toyed with the idea of making some, but then it wouldn't snow for ten years, and I like my snow. :D

A lilttle OT here but, ,when I was looking into materials, specifically rawhide, I found that it is rather expensive.
I learned from a fella on another forum about keeping a small dog's rawhide chewy bone in your pack as "the original duct taope" in case of an emergency. Soak it in some water, untie t he ends, unroll it and you have some repair material for whatever.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Jeff H wrote:
Hobie wrote:Good snow shoes of any type are at least $40, even mil surp metal framed snow shoes. Those bear paws are neat!
Yep - I just saw surplus snow shoes for $40 yesterday and they weren't nearly as beautiful as those.
I'm betting that a pair like that would pretty expensive to have made. I have toyed with the idea of making some, but then it wouldn't snow for ten years, and I like my snow. :D

A lilttle OT here but, ,when I was looking into materials, specifically rawhide, I found that it is rather expensive.
I learned from a fella on another forum about keeping a small dog's rawhide chewy bone in your pack as "the original duct taope" in case of an emergency. Soak it in some water, untie t he ends, unroll it and you have some repair material for whatever.
A+ :idea:
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

"most new shoes are aluminum framed with plastic type panels instead of lacing, lighter, better flotation, built in crampons, smaller, and generally much easier to use, but definately not as cool looking as the traditional types."

Right on both counts. Old ones PIA/worthless to work with. New ones look like do-do.
grass range
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grass range »

That was a good buy. Bear Paw style are for using in brush but as they are usually wider than trail models you have to swing your leg out to the side a little when walking. This will remind you you have muscles you don't normally use. The main thing to remember when using any style is your foot has to pivot on the ball into the opening on the shoe.On trail models especially the tail drags; it is not lifted with the rest of the shoe.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Neat looking snowshoes. The only snow shoes I have ever used were the magnesium framed ones the Army issued to us. They looked like a wannabe tennis racket to me. I have to admit that they worked as we all weighed between 160 and 200 pounds and were wearing winter gear while carrying 60 pounds in our rucks. We were able to stay within 2 to 3 inches of the top of the snow. BUT, they were ugly. Those wooden ones look right at home where you put them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I like the wood and lace snowshoes . Yours look great on the wall as well .

There are some places that you can buy more modern bindings for those that like the old and want easier use . Heres one place , I got the super strap .
http://www.havlicksnowshoe.com/bindings.php
Phil
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

1894 wrote:I like the wood and lace snowshoes . Yours look great on the wall as well .

There are some places that you can buy more modern bindings for those that like the old and want easier use . Heres one place , I got the super strap .
http://www.havlicksnowshoe.com/bindings.php
Thanks for the link Phil. :)
Snow shoeing is indeed on my short list of something I need to try next winter.
The better bindings are a good idea, and will save the original leathers for display.
Last edited by cshold on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is a great display - but then you are and artist photographer. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:That is a great display - but then you are and artist photographer. :D
Thanks for the great compliment OS :)
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Bear paws are good for say brush trapping and where you are in rough country. They are wider that trail shoes and are harder on your legs especially if you don't use them regular. Here in the cedars and valleys I like the bear paw even if they don't carry as much weight and when I was in shape the wider stace didn't bother me. Those are good shoes and you made a real buy. You might want to shellac the frames if they have been sitting for a while to make sure they are waterproofed good. You will need some bindings unless you can cut yor own.