OT Spring in Wyoming

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Don McDowell

OT Spring in Wyoming

Post by Don McDowell »

Here's one way to tell when spring is sprunging in good ol Wyo. :)

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid= ... f15180718c
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT Spring in Wyoming

Post by J Miller »

A bunch of baby bovines .... head 'em up, move 'em out.

I know, that was bad. But I couldn't resist.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Aye gawd, man... what's the world coming to? Cows on FACEBOOK?! Don, don't let that get out! Next thing ya know some of yer neighbors or them fellars from down-under have pics of their SHEEP!

Just a joke fellars... don't get yer dander up! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

AYe laddy, there's a plenty of the mutton on Facebook aready... :D Good to balance it out with a good ol range cow now tain't it? :mrgreen:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Don calves look good but you got no snow :P have you finished calving yet, Ive got 2' in the valley and will finish calving around the middle of march. danny
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Danny this is about the 3rd chinook , you talk about mud now,,, we got it. Supposed to maybe get another batch of cold and snow starting Sunday, rain/snow mix tommorrow and friday...
Just getting started, and what a start it's been almost 1/4 done in just about a week. Haven't had anything today, but looks like any minute there could be another flood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Our calving season is just about passed. It hit during the super cold weather we just had and some guys lost a few. They couldn't get up before they froze to the ground. That would really suck. Can't wait for the muck to leave. I'm getting tired of trudging through it.
Old Law Dawg
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

We're on a weather roller coaster here that is just horrible. Yesterday it got into the 50's, it did today after the fog burned off, but Saturday it was -2 at 6 in the morning. 413g's calf is probably going to loose both ears if the pnuemonia doesn't get him first.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Calving going on here as well. Fairly warm today.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Sounds like tommorrow is the last good day until sometime next week maybe... Should get a rush of calves then... :lol:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Don we've got a chinook and rain tonight going to make soup out of the 2'snow, when it gets real cold I get them good & dry and wrap the newborns ears they look like mickey mouse, it hard to sell seed stock with bear ears not enough room to put in a tattoo & tag. danny
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yup it's a bugger trying to tattoo an ear that's not big enough for the numbers. :?
The forecast doesn't look horrendously cold for this upcoming storm but it's going to be a shiver maker. So thankful for these big barns we have.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What is a "chinook"?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

J Miller wrote:What is a "chinook"?

Joe

I'm glad you asked that! :oops:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

It's a native american word for snow eater.
Basically its a warm downsloping wind brought by a highpressure system out of the southwest. Brings warm/hot temperatures and combined with the breezy to windy conditions can eat a foot of snow in a days time..
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Thread reminds me of the Charles Russell painting "waiting for a chinook" . :)

http://www.charlesmarionrussell.org/Wai ... inook.html

From Wiki, here are a couple of interesting facts concerning chinooks:
Loma, Montana boasts as having the most extreme recorded temperature change in a 24-hour period. On January 15, 1972, the temperature rose from −54 °F (-48 °C) to 49 °F (9 °C), a 103 °F (57 °C) change in temperature; a dramatic example of the regional Chinook wind in action.

The Black Hills of South Dakota are home to the world's fastest recorded rise in temperature. On January 22, 1943, at about 7:30am MST, the temperature in Spearfish, South Dakota was -4 °F (-20 °C). The chinook kicked in, and two minutes later the temperature was +45 °F (7 °C). The 49 degree (27 °C) rise in two minutes set a world record that is still on the books. By 9:00am, the temperature had risen to 54 °F (12 °C). Suddenly, the chinook died down and the temperature tumbled back to -4 °F. The 58 degree drop took only 27 minutes.[10][11]
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

We get the same kind of wind in Ca. but they are called Santa Anna winds.These winds
can make it cold in the mountains and desert but warm on the coast.Sometimes with the off
shore wind the ocean will be dead calm like a glassy lake.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I remember the inversion-clearing chinooks in Lander...

Growing up there I never quite got the "wind chill" thing until I got into hunting because whenever it got windy in the winter it got warmer... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I just got my heifers in to start watching them here Don. Cows start closer to the 1st of April for me. We have about a foot of new snow today. Back in the brush it's up to my hip pockets. I am really hoping for a good 'chinook' so I don't have to plow calving grounds. My team is tired from pushing snow up over the roller on the bobsleigh. Been working another team at my uncles place and they are worked down to a frazzle too. I will be glad to see some bare ground. Something green sounds awesome right now too.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Forgot to send a picture or two.
Winter 2010 042.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hang in the Wes June's a comin... :mrgreen:
Friend of mine up to Afton emailed this morning and said to duck and cover , they got stomped again last night so he figure we'ld be getting it tonight, and looks of the clouds and the way the cows are drifting back to the barns.. :?