Rustic gun rack for an old Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Rustic gun rack for an old Winchester

Post by KirkD »

I've had a piece of quarter-sawn Burr Oak laying around the basement for a number of years now and was wondering what to do with it. Recently, it hit me ...... why not a nice rustic gun rack. I wanted some old looking, rustic-type hooks to mount on it and couldn't find any. Then I took a look at Gobblerforge's website ( http://gobblerforge.com ). By gum! He makes some nice stuff for some very reasonable prices. I ordered a couple hooks that were modifications of one that he showed on his site, with one hook having a wider radius than the other to give a nice fit to my old Winchester Model 1873. Here are some details and photos .....

First, since the oak plank was not the same width at either end, I had to figure out where the approximate centre line was and mark it with two pieces of masking tape. The keyhole hangers mounted on the back of the plank were measured up from that centre line as shown below ....

The two keyhole hangers were spaced to match the studs in the wall where it would hang. I used a hammer and chisel to carve a little recess for the hangers, and drilled a slot inside the recess so the screw heads on the wall would be able to slip inside the keyhole. Here is a closeup of the keyhole hanger in its notch ....

Once the keyhole hangers were in place, and before I mounted the hooks, I hung the plank on the wall and then measured down from the ceiling using a strip of masking tape across the front of the plank to mark a horizontal line, so I could hang the hooks in such a way that the rifle was straight, more or less, with the plank and on the wall. Then I took Gobblerforge's hooks and cut a thin strip of leather from a leather strap I had and glued a strip into the inside radius of each hook to provide a soft cushion for the rifle. Here is a photo of the hooks with the leather strips glued in, one hook already mounted on the plank, and the strip of masking tape that I used to line up the rifle and determine the position of the hooks. ....

Once this was done, I mounted the plank on the wall. In spite of all my trying to figure out where the centre line of the plank was, it didn't really look right. Turns out, it looked right if the top edge of the plank was more or less level and the bottom edge sloped up. I mounted one end of the plank and then moved the other end up and down until I figured out what looked right. I then moved one of the wall screws up 1/4" and hung the rack. Perfect!! Here are some shots of the rack and closer ups of the hooks ....

I really like the look that this rack and hooks gives to the display of the old '73. Because of the thickness of the wrought iron hooks, it holds the rifle away from the plank a bit which really presents the old rifle beautifully. You can't really see this very well in the photos, but it just adds something extra to the rifle.

I am extremely pleased with these hooks that our own leverguns member Gobblerforge made. In fact, I am now trying to figure out a rack that will hold four old Winchesters and Marlins and will be ordering some more hooks from Gobblerforge when I've figured out the design. That will probably take me several months to finalize the design, as this is a busy time of year for me.

P.S. I should add that Gobblerforge also supplied the screws to match the hooks.
Last edited by KirkD on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Rustic gun rack for an old Winchester

Post by Guncase »

Looks great!!!
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I like it!
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

It does look great, and those hooks are cool, and great prices.
Let us see the new rack when you get done with it.
Terry
Richard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richard »

Very nice! I feel great doing a little woodworking. Recently made a gun box for each of my sons. Recycled cedar deck. Black rustic nails accent front and back and drop in the top (just off center) to keep the lid from sliding off.
Last edited by Richard on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” — 1 Corinthians 2:9
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Nice job, that old rifle looks right at home.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice Kirk! I love those hooks too - will have to figure out how to use a set myself and then order them from GF.

Say, IIRC, don't you need to lock that rifle down while on display? I remember you doing so in the past with other longarms.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Very nice Kirk! I love those hooks too - will have to figure out how to use a set myself and then order them from GF.

Say, IIRC, don't you need to lock that rifle down while on display? I remember you doing so in the past with other longarms.

Not sure bout legal requirements, but it might become a necessity. Sadly, I'm afraid to show most visitors, what I have, for fear they might come back at a "more opportune time" to try and take it.

I do love the look of that old rifle on the rack though. Nice work.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Looks really cool Mike!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice one Kirk :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

31rdgross, beautiful case!!
Ysabel Kid wrote:Say, IIRC, don't you need to lock that rifle down while on display? I remember you doing so in the past with other longarms.
Yes, we do have to have rifles locked when they are displayed on walls. I took the photo without the lock, but here is what the rig looks like when locked. You can see that the cable is not that obvious. The second photo shows how the actual lock is hidden behind the buttstock grip. The third has the cable lock engaged ... you can see that this setup keeps the lock relatively unobtrusive.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Nice looking display. Really displays that old 73 well.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kirk, very nice. Just seems to go wtih that ole '73.

Chris, good work on the box.
Old Law Dawg
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Kool gun dangler, I like the bark still on it.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Very nice , both the the rack and box :P
The '73 just makes that rack great and the 1911's make the box look great

Kirk , I'm questioning your idea of putting both Winchesters and Marlins on the same rack. Wouldn't you have to put double locks on the Marlins to keep them from beating up those nice Winchesters when you're not looking :P
Phil
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Great touch!
"That'll Be The Day"
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Dandy rack.

It looks terrific with that rifle in it.

-Stretch
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Very, very nice. Great work!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Thanks Kirk. I like your idea for the black leather liner as opposed to a leather wrap like I used. I will be trying that. For those that would consider and need hand forged hooks for thier displays, the hooks are priced at $20 for the first pair and $12 a pair after that. Kirk helped me do a price setting and this is the simplest way. The price includes a slotted screw for each hook, I don't think phillips looks good, and shipping by usps to anywhere in North America.
The hooks are hand made to order and no two are identical. I can make a lot alike but each is unique and made in America by an American. The standard hook is about 1.5 inches inside and about 4" tall. As I did with Kirks, they can be made to your size needs as they are made to order.
Thanks, Gobbler
Click Click Boom
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

very nice Kirk....
I think I may steal your idea....and use some narly cypress, with the
same type hooks...that would be a nice addition to my home office/mancave
Where did you get the hooks?

31rdgross
nice strong box