Insurance rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Insurance rifles

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sorry to hear about this. I hate thieves. Have no sense of Christian mercy towards them at all, even on Christmas day. Lynch them all! :evil: :evil: :evil:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sorry to hear of this. :evil: The BLR would be a nice piece.

Not to side track the topic but how were you planning on building your safe?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

I hope those grinches shoot themselves in an artery.

I like the idea of the BLR 30-06. What about one of those guide guns by Wild West guns? http://www.wildwestguns.com
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That would be one heavy unit. I have been thinking of building my own as well and am looking for ideas.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You've had guns stolen twice!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

You find them, and I'll bring the rope!

Having anything stolen is bad enough. Having firearms stolen is 10X worse. Having family heirloom firearms stolen is 1,000,000X worse.

Sorry your Christmas was ruined by these scumbags!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I am very sorry for you. I had the same thing happen years ago. You might get lucky and locate the theif. I also feel they should be exicuted on the spot! Do you have any clues at all? More often than not they have been in your house before and know you.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

nobearsyet wrote:No leads whatsoever and the cops don't even seem to care, seems like the ones that I've talked to so far are more interested in seeing if I'm breaking any laws than trying to find my guns. One detective even said they don't look into these things very much as I have no business owning a gun (he almost left at gun point). And yes, I've had guns stolen twice, once at my mom's while she was on vacation, and last night. And to whoever mentioned a crappy Christmas, I haven't had a good one in 5 years.
I would have had his name and badge # and would have filed a written complaint with IAD. Scum like that are worse than the thieves they are supposed to catch.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Joe,
you wrote, "keeping in mind insurance will only pay for new guns "

I hate to hear of your losses & particuarly how you ended up short on your firearms. I've had similar losses. Is your insurance company policy to only pay for new guns as you indicated?
This makes me want to call my insurance company and ask that specific question.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

nobearsyet wrote:...that detective is out of a job in about an hour.
1. THAT is at least some good news that came out of this thing...

2. If you want to post the serial numbers, I suppose "we" could keep a lookout for them, or at least those in your general area could. There may be drawbacks to such a posting, although I'm not sure what they would be. I do think gun shops have some "keep an eye out for these" type lists sometimes.

3. If you wanted to build a BIG safe, I'd consider getting an ordinary one and cutting the back or side out of it, and welding on extentions or constructing it as the entrance to a small poured-concrete room.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully at least some of your guns will pop up over the next year.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Sorry to hear about your losses, I hate a thief. I had five guns stolen during a burglary and got extemely lucky...got four of them back over the next two years. In Okla. that's almost unheard of. Sounds like you got extemely lucky with your insurance adjuster, from my experience insurance companies are not your friend.

I helped a buddy remodel an unused walk-in closet in his house into a large fire-resistant gun vault. It wasn't exactly cheap, but it's bigger than any safe for the money and is still going to be standing after a fire. It'll also defeat most burglars. PM me for info as it'll take up some time and space.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

nobearsyet,
I'm really sorry to hear you have been visited by thievin' scum, that really sucks big time!
At least you can replace the rifles if not the family heirlooms.
In the UK we could lose our license to have firearms if we had even one stolen. The police would deem us not responsible enough to have firearms just because some lowlife got lucky. :twisted:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Sorry to hear about your loss. While the suggestions as to how to deal with the scum if they are caught are all pretty fair, there's a better than good chance that they will never be caught, given the attitude of some of the police units described. As for the safe you are planning to build, a boiler plate one like the one described by one poster sounds good. But why not consider building one of cement blocks as a part of the foundation of your house? I seem to recall Browning offering a vault door in one of their catalogs for just such a purpose. You could create a room big enough for all of your guns, with plenty of space for storage of other valuables. Nobody could walk away with such a structure, and properly built it would take a great deal of effort to break into.

If they do catch these thieves, an option not yet mentioned is the tried and true method used by the barbarians of the 4th century. Spread eagle the thieves and harness one limb to each of 4 work horses. Then holler "giddy-up". Do the same for the liberal scum lawyer that represents the thief in the speedy trial you and your buddies hold before rendering verdict and carrying through execution. Punishment of a crime should set an appropriate example to others.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I know how you feel as I have been broken into several times and have lost large amounts of stuff including guns. The police don't really care as it's not a money maker for the system to catch them and put em in jail. Safes have been the best money spent for me. I just recently installed a camera system that runs 24/7, maybe I can get some (Wanted dead or alive posters). You may also check out a product called bugler bomb, it's not for everyone but worth a look.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Bummer --- but its a plus that you have coverage. Most policies have a $2500 max on guns unless the policy has a separate declaration added covering the firearms.

Anything custom over and above the standard firearm or a standard accessory, you will likely have to prove it with receipts or pics, etc. Guys like Brockman and Reeder might keep a little bit of documentation, ya never know.

Good luck --- i wouldnt worry too much about what to buy for replacements just yet until you get all the negotiations done and the final check is in your hand , unless you need something immediately for an upcoming hunt or to use around your farm.

A BLR 30-06 sounds perfectly reasonable to have regardless of your tragedy though, -- but for use around the farm, a pistol caliber carbine would be a nice addition - pick your poison on the manufacturer, they are all pretty good, but a gently used B92 Browning would be awesome
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jlchucker wrote:But why not consider building one of cement blocks as a part of the foundation of your house? I seem to recall Browning offering a vault door in one of their catalogs for just such a purpose. You could create a room big enough for all of your guns, with plenty of space for storage of other valuables. Nobody could walk away with such a structure, and properly built it would take a great deal of effort to break into.
If anyone tries that, you'd better put re-bar in the cores and fill them with concrete; a person can use an ordinary hammer to make a hole in an 8" concrete block wall, big enough to walk through, i just a few minutes.

nobearsyet wrote:Anybody had any experience with the Marlin XLR series? Thinking about the 35 Rem.
I have one, and it is very accurate, and I think well-balanced for a rifle. I'd want a 'carbine' to compliment it, as it isn't a light, handy thing to tote through thick brush, but I do think it does justice to the .35 Remington in terms of squeezing out its potential.

For covering 'practical needs', a .35 Remington XLR makes the perfect rifle to go with a Marlin 1894, Ruger Blackhawk, & SP-101, all in .357 Mag:

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Nobears, the cops in your area may need to be brought into the 21st century. Our local boys have had considerable luck recovering stolen stuff if (but only if) the thief sells to a pawn shop or similar. Pawn shops report serial numbers, these go into http://www.leadsonline.com and when your police go into the site with a list of your serial numbers they may find them. Recovery of stolen stuff is up about 1000% in my area. Anyway, can't hurt to tip off your law dogs to this leadsonline thing.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Ysabel Kid wrote:You've had guns stolen twice!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

You find them, and I'll bring the rope!

Having anything stolen is bad enough. Having firearms stolen is 10X worse. Having family heirloom firearms stolen is 1,000,000X worse.

Sorry your Christmas was ruined by these scumbags!
+1
Bring the rope to tie them down with. I can teach a class on how to keep them alive for about a week getting a fresh nerve ending about every 15 min.
It is not the critic who counts
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Check all of the pawn shops within 30 miles or so of your house... these fools are often stupid enough to take them to pawn... who of course have their ID.

And I can't believe the BS you are getting from your police department. I should probably just stop right there.... :evil:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nobears, the thief or the informer live within sight of your place you wont have to go far to find them they know your schedule or were watching. Keep a eye out for the guy that smirks, grins or stares at you. danny
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Man, you have my complete sympathy.

Like others have said, I wouldn't show any of these
thieves any mercy.

We've had a number of burglaries in the local area,
but the cops have yet to catch anybody.

Departments these days actually make more money from
drug busts, so property crimes take a definite back seat.
It's a shame too - just another way the system leaches
off the good, honest people.

-Stretch
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

BigSky56 wrote:Nobears, the thief or the informer live within sight of your place you wont have to go far to find them they know your schedule or were watching. Keep a eye out for the guy that smirks, grins or stares at you. danny
I have to agree with this assesmant. Either the thieves or some one they know lives in you neigborhood or delivers your paper.
Wish I had better news but reality is reality. :evil:
Alan Wood
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

"A white man comes to me and says, sell me your horses, I say no, my horses suit me; I will not sell them.
He then goes to my neighbor and says Joeseph has some fine horses, but he will not sell them.
My neighbor says to the white man, give me the money, I will sell the horses.
If the white man bought our land, this is the way it was done."
Chief Rolling Thunder In The Hills.
Look close to home nobearsyet,
I think you will find the answer.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Marvin S wrote:The police don't really care as it's not a money maker for the system to catch them and put em in jail.
I don't know your experience or where you get your information, but I don't get paid anything for catching the murderers, robbers, thieves, molesters, etc... other than my wage and the knowledge I did the best job I could. And, I don't know of any state law enforcement system in the U.S. that courts "a money maker" way of doing business. Sounds like someone's just lazy.

That said;

Nobearsyet, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I would stay on top of your local PD that's handling this. In fact I'd become a pain in the a**. Plus, now that the thieves know what's in your house, expect another visit. Either now or a little later after you've replaced your missing pieces.
Old Law Dawg
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Kim,
I should have included that.
You can expect them to re-visit.
Simplyrugged
Levergunner

Post by Simplyrugged »

Folks: this nobears guy is a fake and a lair.
He has been caught fabricating on other forums. He was asked to leave both single-actions and leatherworkers.net
He seems like a real nice sincere guy but he is not.
These are the good old Days

Simplyrugged.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the heads up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

BUY A GOOD GUN SAFE AND BOLT IT TO THE FLOOR!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Simplyrugged wrote:Folks: this nobears guy is a fake and a lair.
He has been caught fabricating on other forums. He was asked to leave both single-actions and leatherworkers.net
I thought it was the same guy from single actions but wasn't for sure. Now I am.
Ricky

DWWC
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll listen, but would like to know a little more. I'll go checking.
Old Law Dawg
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I dont get it. So whats this guys game then? What is to be gained by putting us on?
Simplyrugged
Levergunner

Post by Simplyrugged »

I have no idea what George's game is.
He's a nut.
Wastes a lot of time on the differnt boards.
One week he asks for instructions on making a holster or a saddle and then he's showing pictures of other , some pretty well known folks', work and claiming it as his own.
Bizarre.
These are the good old Days

Simplyrugged.com
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

:lol: I thought he sounded a bit windy when he said his adjuster was bending over backwards to make sure his guns were covered and that they didnt want to lose his $1000 a year (i'm an adjuster myself). I'm somewhat of a " firearms enthusiast" myself and i can't even change policies for somebody else, even when i feel a bit of empathy for them. (although the thought of a rogue, Robin Hood like insurance adjuster that "makes it right for everyone" makes me smile when i am dreaming and would be cool) ---- if additional coverage is not bought for high value goods (art , firearms, ) --- they may not be covered. (and sadly, the bigger companies don't really care about 1000 bucks a year one way or another, sadly)
The same way with someone's 8 grand Rolex if it gets lost --- they will get $2500 bucks unlesss it is listed as an addition to the base homeowner's policy .

I have a bit of experience with this both in theory and in practice, as i had a motor home fire where i lost 4 grand in firearms and a nice , older timepiece (was paid 2000 for the firearms per my policy and 2500 for the watch -- i felt like i got kicked where the sun dont shine)
And to dispel any suspicions of having a bottom-dollar insurance carrier and i "get what i pay for" ----- well, i had USAA -- and everybody else i have ever worked for has similar policies
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

What are the serials? We can run those thieves down.
nobearsyet wrote:On Christmas Eve I was broken into while on the way to my mother in law's house for the evening. There were a total of 15 guns stolen, just the ones that weren't in the various safes around the house for whatever reason. Needless to say I am waiting patiently for some reimbursement from the insurance company for the stolen guns. Of the guns stolen were a 336C in 35Rem, an 1894 444 Marlin, an 1894 45-70, and an 1894 450 Marlin (as my plan was to spend today building a bigger safe specifically for the leverguns they were sitting next to the safe leaning up against the wall). My question for you guys is this, keeping in mind insurance will only pay for new guns what would you guys get? A lot of those guns were reworked by the likes of Gary Reeder and Brockman's so the payouts (I am assuming) will be higher than the 300-500 each of those guns bring new. Thought about the BLR in 30-06 a bunch.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have an XLR in 45-70 and it is a wonderful rifle. That said, go over to Marlinowners and see about the trouble Marlin(Remington) is having with their 338's/308's about barrel/receiver misalignment/machining quality issues. Don't know if it applies to the 35's, but from my understand also, the 35's have been dropped. Some of the wholesalers have them on sale for under $500 IIRC, so if you can find one, it might be a bargain now, relatively speaking.

I have had guns stolen once, but only two of them. I was pretty well torqued off then, I can't imagine haveing your Fathers/Grandfathers guns taken.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)