Ultra Long Range Shooting Facility in CO

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Ultra Long Range Shooting Facility in CO

Post by CowboyTutt »

Guys, just thought I would bring this facility to your attention. It is in Hotchkiss, CO. I hope to visit it over spring break! -Tutt

Extreme shooting

Story by
Pat Sunderland
There’s just one place west of the Mississippi that civilian long-range sharpshooters can draw a bed on targets up to 1,538 yards away. That’s the Friends of Billy Dixon Ultra-Long-Range Shooting Facility at the Colorado West Gun Club, at Stengel’s west of Hotchkiss. This facility offers unique long-range opportunities for modern sporting and blackpowder rifles.

Serious long-range shooters can master a gun, prove a load, determine sight settings, and test themselves and their equipment. The typical sporting rifle is not up to the task of long-range target shooting. Generally, the sights will not allow sufficient adjustment to “get on targetâ€
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Guess that guys never heard of Kenny Wasserburgers Creedmore, and mile shoots?
May 16-18th this year 40 miles north of Lusk Wy. then 5 miles west on Lance Creek fliers and shoot anouncements can be found on the Shiloh forum.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Thats cool Tutt, I hope you make it out and take some great photos.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

C.T.,Let me know when you will be in the neighborhood. Maybe I can meet you there as it is just down the road from me, so to speak, about 40 miles. From Delta, go east on hwy92. It is just before you get to Rogers Mesa.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the info. Wished I'd known of it the last time I was in Delta.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That would be awesome.
I wonder how my Enfield would do the rear sight is marked to 1300 yards and still has 26 1/4MOA clicks over that before it tops out. You will have to post lots of pics and a detailed range report.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Its come to my attention that the range is at 5500 ft. I'm not sure if the tempretures will allow us to go just yet. Looking into it.

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Just put on more clothes and you'll be fine :wink: :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

J.R., my best friend just checked the weather there, and he said it looks "ok". I need to find out if any of my existing rifle's sights can be modified to shoot at that range. If not, we will have to rent a buffalo gun, which would be OK as well (well, maybe not so OK as I will then have to scrape up the money for a Sharps!). I'm hoping my 71/84 Mauser and CZ 550 in 375 H&H Ackley are up to the task (the CZ will need modified sights, I'm sure). I'll keep you informed by phone or email, Buddy!

-Tutt
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Tutt your rear sights will need to raise about 4 inches above the centerline of the bore to shoot the 1500 yd thing.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Don, thanks for the info. Old Thirty One Twenty (my Mauser) has a huge ladder bar rear sight, so it might just do it. Its supposed to be regulated to 1600 meters. The CZ will need a new sight for sure.

-Tutt
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Tutt that ol Mauser will likely get er done , if you can match up the factory ballistics. If you can get ahold of some long range bullets intended for the 44-77 it might fare a bit better at those extreme ranges.
I don't think your 375 manglem will do well at that range, but a person won't know till you try. :D
In both rifles the longest heaviest bullet you can get to shoot as close to moa as you can get will likely be the better bet.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I can lob a 375 caliber 350 grain bullet at 2500 ft per second out of my "mangle-em". I'd be surprised if that wouldn't work! :lol:

-Tutt
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Its going to depend on how stable that bullet is when it come down to subsonic. When you get that far out, everything with the exception of a few military rounds and the like is going to be subsonic and have been that way for quite a while.
If the bullet isn't stable when it goes subsonic , or can't stay that way after ,its' going to start a pretty wild wobbly ride. and there's no telling where it'll end up.
If you can access a 1000 yd range close to home before you get to the western slope , you'll have alot better idea what's going to come of the additional 500 yds. :)
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I look forward to seeing how your Old 3120 does. What grain bullet are you slinging out of her? The load you have been working with is about 1200fps right.

Here is a link with some BP loads for your Mauser. http://www.militaryrifles.com/Germany/71-84Mau.htm If and when you decide you want to go black.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Bit chilly up here right now. Lows vary 0-15degrees and highs 25-35degrees. Delta's maybe 2 degrees warmer. Figure April will be good for shooting as winds usually hit in late April and sometimes last till the end of May. Can blow 40+ for days on end and then, all of a sudden it gets fairly calm and stays that way.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks all, for the posts. I have a smokless powder load that duplicates the original load of an approximately 400 grain bullet at 1400 fps in the 71/84 Mauser with an outstanding ES if you do the ritual before shooting. Regarding the CZ in 375 A.I., I think it has the "stuff" to do the job at 2500 fps since the rate of twist is 1 in 12. I will email Mic MicPherson and see what he thinks. I do appreciate the insights, so don't be shy on my part!

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

With both guns its going to depend alot on the bullet stability at that extended range. You'll just have to get out and shoot at distance to know for sure what'll happen.
I've seen loads do great out to 800 yds or so and then start falling apart at 900 and by the time the 1000 yd target gets its turn they won't stay with in a 70 yd group.