OT - Bizarre Gun Reunion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Bizarre Gun Reunion

Post by 86er »

Step back to 1993. For a 5 year period the William's were my extended family. The niece, nephew-in-law, brother and sister-in-law and other decendents of Marshall "Carbine" Williams. Around 1994 Carbine's nephew-in-law Charles gave me a Winchester 59 shotgun. Carbine Williams was credited with designing the "floating chamber" short piston action used in the M59 and M50 Winchester shotguns. To go with the 59 that was gifted to me I purchased a M50. For personal reasons I didn't care for the M50 that much so I decided to sell it and get a M50 in 20 gauge. An acquaintance, also by the last name of Williams but unrelated, said he would buy the M50. I was not home when he stopped by my house to pick it up. I called and told my girlfriend to make sure she got $X and give him the shotgun in the corner of the left closet. She took the money and unknowingly gave him the M59 (not the M50). Before we could arrange fixing the mix-up, G. Williams was deployed to Saudi Arabia and that's the last I saw of the M59. That was in North Carolina in 1996.

Since then I have always looked at M59's at gun shows and occassionally on-line, but I never found one to mimic the one I had. They were either the wrong configuration or poor condition or way over-priced. Last Sunday I went to a gun show at Mesquite Rodeo Center in Texas, armed with a 45 on my right hip and a wad of cash in my right pocket. On my left hip I wore my cell phone and in my left pocket I had my FFL. I came upon an exhibitor from Rusk, TX (a pawn shop). I noticed he has a M59 and began to look at it. The first thing I noticed was a distinct circular crack in the fore-end - just like the one I had.

Upon closer inspection I called my wife and asked her to look in my book to recite some #'s to me. The gun I had featured an easy-to-remember 5 digit serial # (a lot of the #'s were the same or consecutive). Sure enough, I am holding "my" gun. I talk to the vendor and tell him most of the story. I told him at the time I often put my initials and my SS# under the buttplate of my guns (in case they were stolen and altered or parted out). I assured him if he removed the buttplate he'd see JR and 9 digits which I wrote down for him. Without a word he got a screwdriver and took the buttplate off. There it was. We both stood in silence for a while.

The vendor said, you're story is very believable and now you've proven it without a doubt. He told me he purchased the shotgun in November from a soldier at Ft. Hood. He remembered talking to the guy for a while and recalled he had mentioned Ft. Bragg, among other places. His name was not Williams. I asked what it would take to get the gun back - the price was quite reasonable already. The vendor looked in his book and told me to pay him back what he gave for it (around 1/2 of what he was asking) and the gun could go home. I don't know if the price he gave was really what he paid or not as he didn't show me his book but it was the lowest price I've EVER seen on a M59. Frankly, to have this gun back I would have paid triple!

At home the gun cleaned up nicely, shows absolutely no wear since I had it last and functioned perfectly. For those not familiar with the Winchester Model 59, aka "Win-Lite" it is a 12 bore semi-auto. The barrel is a steel liner wrapped in fiberglass thread (500 miles of it). The receiver is aluminum. It holds only 2 shots in the short tube mag and 1 in the chamber. The internal mechanism is colored in gold. The floating chamber, return spring and bolt are the only moving parts - there's no gas system or inertia transfer system. It was the first shotgun to offer removable choke tubes, although mine doesn't have tubes, it is a plain Modified. This full sized 12 gauge weighs 6 pounds.

I guess fate reunited this gun with me. I'm happy to have it back and it will never be parted with again.

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Bizarre Gun Reunion

Post by COSteve »

Great story and good looking gun!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

That's great! Although, next time, you might want to be there when your girlfriend/wife pulls a gun out of the left closet to sell for you.
toby
Levergunner

Post by toby »

Wow, definitely your lucky day.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow. Good for You.Great story. I recently bought back one of the best shotguns I ever had and never should have sold, a Charles Daly SXS made by Miroku.the Family member who bought it needed cash in a bad way and sold some guns. I haden't seen it in thirty years.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

8)
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Joe,

Great story, and a wonderful ending.

There are a few guns out there I'd love to be reunited with.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Neat story Joe, good for you :D

So err how does it work then?? Does just the chamber slide back to unlock it??

Thanks.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The floating chamber moves back out of the barrel under the force of the charge going off. The floating chamber contacts the bolt and moves it rearward. A return spring in the stock pushes it all back forward.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Guess it was something like that, sounds reliable.

Thanks.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

great story, congrats Joe. How was the Mesquite show. I wanted to go, but Saturday was fence mending day and then Saturday night I ended up staying late at Cullpeppers Steakhouse. Randy travis came in for dinner and got up on stage for a few songs. Long story short Sunday ended up being a day of rest.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Man, what a stroke of luck. :D ----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

That is a sure stroke of luck ! :lol: Good show.

As a side note, you are the only other guy i have ever heard mention the Model 50. When my dad passed away, only 2 firearms were left to his sons, an 1894 Winchester to me and the Model 50 in .20 gauge to my brother.

I love the way the little .20 shoots m but being my dad's old gun and being in cherry condition, it mostly just gets used for blasting clay pigeons --- have contemplated finding another one in 12 gauge to use for sporting purposes

Since you have had them both, what did you like about the 59 over the 50? If the 59's a nicer design, i may shift gears a little and look for one of those instead
----- Doug
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You've got the best stories. Write another book man.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You better go right out and buy a lotto ticket. That's great news, Joe.
Old Law Dawg
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Good for you, Joe.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Great story Joe! That sure was good on the sellers part to lower his price to enable the return of your shotgun.
Thanks,

Dave B
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Maybe this is a "Paul Harvey" question, but did the 'girlfriend' who sold the wrong gun become the 'wife' who you had check your log book...? :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,

That's a great story! Good on the dealer at the show to you the courtesy to obtain your shotgun back. You know, I'd pass on getting my hands on the low-life that stole my '69 mdl 94 in .44Mag if I could get it back...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

AJMD429 - that would be a NO, irresponsible with guns and dogs. That wasn't gonna work.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

86er wrote:AJMD429 - that would be a NO, irresponsible with guns and dogs. That wasn't gonna work.

Kind of figured that was the case! Doubt GF lasted long after that screw-up!!! :lol:

Congrats Joe - what a find!!! :D
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

That is a great story. I had a story similar to yours but with an old SKS. Glad you got your gun back. With a story like that I bet you never get rid of it again.....on purpose or accident.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Great story, Joe. And congratulations on being reunited with an old and cherished friend. Glad to hear it's still in great shape.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Great story!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright