I saw this ad for a Ruger 44

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

I saw this ad for a Ruger 44

Post by Warhawk »

I answered one of those ads ...

Ruger 44 mag $xxx

no pics, no further info, etc. I did manage to learn that it was a blue super blackhawk with rubber grips, but not much more. The guy was going to be near me last night, so I set up a meeting.

Long story short, this is what I got. Plus a set of Hogue grips, a set of Pachmyers, and a LH Galco holster (that is for an 8 3/8" N frame, but fits the SBH pretty well).

It's a liberty model, an easy 95% probably 98% but I like to be conservative on condition. Action is smooth as butter, and no rust or discoloration anywhere, and it was dirt cheap. I am tickled with it.
Ysabel Kid

Re: I saw this ad for a Ruger 44

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Looks great and congrats. The SBH was my first ever Ruger so it holds a special place in my heart.....they come alive in your hand when they are cocked and pointed. This is my second one that I bought in 1989, and despite being shot and carried a good bit in an Uncle Mike's Three Persons type holster, it still looks pretty much the same as when I bought it, except for a pair of American Holly grips.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Very nice !

Reminds me of about 4 years ago . We went to an auction in Charlottesville VA . They had a Super Blackhawk advertised along with a bunch of other guns tha I was more intrested .

Looked over what intrested me first with nothing really making me want to return for the auction . And just happened to look at the Super Blackhawk .

In reality it wasn't a Super Blackhawk but rather a circa 1957 Ruger Blackhawk Flattop in 44 MAG that was about 97% . We went back to the auction and bought the "Super Blackhawk" for $325 :lol:

In my conservative opinion we paid maybe 50% of what that gun was worth at the time !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Very nice!

Oly
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I still have mine - my first centerfire revolver, also a "200th Year" model.

One time someone offered me a pretty good price for it due to the "200th Year" thing (I have no idea if that really enhances the value), but I'd never sell it for sentimental reasons.

There are bigger, badder revolvers out there, but that one sure makes you feel like you're some ancient god that can throw fireballs with the pointing of a finger... All sorts of fun...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I was only 16 when this one was made. I only wish I had held up as well as this Super Blackhawk.

I've owned several Super B's over the years, and a couple of liberty models. But for a .44 Mag fan, finding a liberty model Super B is the holy grail of Rugers.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

had the same one...you will enjoy it....congrats
i traded mine to get a 629 classic...
i could not handle the recoil with heavy hunting loads...
and the gun just did not look right with the hogue or pacs grips

but with mild loads it was one heck of a shooter...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

AJMD429 wrote:I still have mine - my first centerfire revolver, also a "200th Year" model.

There are bigger, badder revolvers out there, but that one sure makes you feel like you're some ancient god that can throw fireballs with the pointing of a finger... All sorts of fun...!

Wow if that aint the truth. That is exactly what I feel like when I shoot mine. :twisted:
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

The first ever birthday present from my wife was a blue 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk (chosen with the help of a good friend). I still have it although now it has a 3 ring TSOB mount and a Leupold M8 2x. Very accurate; I have taken several deer with 300gr XTPs.

I also have a stainless 4 5/8" Super. It is a handfull shooting magnums so it is mostly fired with lead 44 specials.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have a SB that I haven't shot in about a decade. Needs to go to Ruger as I shot it so much the hammer notches are worn and the hammer usually won't stay cocked :shock: . Gotta be at least 20K thru it. My S&W 29 only went 15K or so rounds before the cylinder latch pin hole became egg shaped and it started spitting, its retired now. Shot ALOT of 44 mag in my 20's :mrgreen:
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

AJMD429 wrote:I still have mine - my first centerfire revolver
Same here - my first, 7½", .44Mag, SBH. Bought in 1967 and still have it. Shot it just yesterday.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I also have these two, a 1961 vintage 44 mag flat top custom, and a late old model Super B that's been cut down and customized by Arctic Gunworks. I rarely shoot either of them.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Warhawk, sounds like you made a great deal. I've had probably six of those SBH's and I don't have a single one anymore. Your last picture show's some perfectly sized packing pistols. Nice.
Old Law Dawg
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

nice grab !! :mrgreen:

Have fun! Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Good score! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
LESAGEMIKE
Levergunner

Post by LESAGEMIKE »

[quote="AJMD429"]I still have mine - my first centerfire revolver, also a "200th Year" model.

One time someone offered me a pretty good price for it due to the "200th Year" thing (I have no idea if that really enhances the value), but I'd never sell it for sentimental reasons.

Heck that gun is kind of sentimental to me also. Despite hunting since I was 9 years old I grew up all about rifles and shotguns I bet that was the same one I shot at your house in 1980 or so. I had never shot a centerfire pistol before and those hot reloads were pretty eye opening for me as a young 22 year old!! I remember it all quite vividly still.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

First centre fire revolver I ever got was a 7 1/2" Ruger SBH in 44Mag, manufactured in 1974. :D
Beautiful gun, the blue finish is more like patent leather!! :D
Still got it and will never part with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................