Cooking Hog - Need Receipes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Cooking Hog - Need Receipes

Post by BrianSH »

Since everyone on this weeks hog hunt is going to limit out, I think its appropriate that we collect favorite recipes for wild hog.

Roast 'em, Broast 'em, BBQ 'em, saute "em.. well you get the picture.

Now get to scriblin'...

- Brian
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cooking Hog - Need Receipes

Post by TedH »

I don't have any to contribute because the last hog I shot we just smoked the whole thing into pulled meat. It was very good.

I'll be interested in what others have to say though.
NRA Life Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Before you ever get to cooking, put the quartered meat in cold water with a little salt. When the water turns red, drain the water and repeat. As long as it is kept cool, do this until the water stops turning red. It could be 2 or 3 days. Then, use a tenderizer to poke holes in the meat. Cover the meat with apple cider vinegar and/or 7-UP for 24 hours. Now cut it up into serving portions and freeze if you are going to. Otherwise, use any recipe for BBQ, smoker, pan-fry, whatever - and I guarantee the meat will be soft and tender, no "game" taste and easier to cook evenly.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

One of my better subjects, so here goes.

Kill hog. Around 100 lbs (+- 20 pounds) is best, but none are bad except old boar hogs. Even boar hogs can be eaten.

Clean hog. Don't haul them around in the back of the truck all day.

Quarter hog. (P.S. Only quarters are allowed to be cooked this way) You can ice and drain as specified above and it will be OK. (Keep the backstrap and tenderloin hidden and don't tell anyone - use it for yourself later). Clean up the meat to cooking standards.

Call only your very best friends and tell them of the cookout tomorrow. P.S. Don't forget to tell the wife of your intentions.

Get up early (before daylight) and start the wood grill (or smoker if you must), with a good wood. Only the less fortunate use charcoal, but it is an approved alternate.

Prepare the meat. You are only authorized to use salt and pepper. Pepper is good - salt can be over used.

Put meat on grill. No flames. Adding a touch of flavour by using a wet piece of smoking wood such as pecan or hickory is authorized.

Cook this way for at least two to three hours making sure no flare up occurr's. Turn over only occasionally. Remember "SLOW". You want a tasty crust.

While you are beating your chest concerning your cooking ability - prepare the other things.

Now here comes the secret part.

Tin Foil. (Alunious Foil for those who might be cooking impaired) Southern slang intended!

Remove meat. Wrap the meat in many layers of the Tin Foil. Put meat back on the grill and close the cover. Don't increase the heat or anything like that. Leave the meat alone for anywhere from 2-3 hours. Don't let the drunk buddy open the lid either. LOW HEAT.

Extra's. You can put a piece of seasoned (and mostly cooked) chicken in with each piece of pork when you wrap it in the Tin Foil. Benefit - the two will compliment each other and the chicken will help keep the pork tender if it is on the tuff side. The chicken needs the skin on. Try this with non fatty meats such as goat, sheep or deer and it will surprise you.

You can cook other extras at this time (in Tin Foil) to compliment your meal. Any vegetables work, just add a little butter before you wrap it up. Onions, bell peppers, mushrooms - you get the idea.

About 30 minutes before meal time, take the meat off the grill and remove from the Tin Foil. Take it off the bone - it will pull off by finger pressure (pulled pork). Forgot to tell you it was hot didn't I? The finger burn will go away. :lol:

Place the meat in an Alunious (baking) pan and do one of the following.

Cover with Tin Foil and serve at the meal.

Mix with a good BBQ sauce, cover with Tin Foil and serve at the meal.

The ribs can (and should be) be cooked seperate from the shoulder's and ham's. Otherwise, treat them the same w/ about half of the regular cook time (a few hours total). I use the ribs as a mid day meal for me and my cooking buddies. I tell the others we did not keep them as there is no worthy meat on them. If you happen to get caught eating the ribs, you are on your own.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Whatever your favorite dry rub, coat the meat with brown sesame oil, and finely grated ginger first.....It's that secret oriental flavor that you can't quite put your finger on.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sausage. Lots of Sausage.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Roasted in that Crazy Box Thing with garlic stuffed under slices in the skin and basted in a garlic, sour orange, and olive oil ... mojo.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.