newby - need shopping tips for 1893 hex barrel please.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DennisT
Levergunner

newby - need shopping tips for 1893 hex barrel please.

Post by DennisT »

Good help here solved my current 93 Marlin's troublesome take down. I appreciate the group.

With this one on it's way, I would like to think about buying my second ever Marlin 93. Can anyone recommend good reading for early Marlin lever history?

Here's what I'd like and it doesn't have to be perfect/like new because my retirement income isn't that good.

Full length rifle is fine. I'd love a hex barrel and cupped butt plate. Caliber is not important if certain ones bring lower prices. Currently I have a 32-40 which I don't mind and I'm willing to re-load. Another of same caliber would be fine.

I can deal with checking bore, crown and general condition. But I'm not sure how to proceed from there. I do make a lot of the Spokane, WA gun shows, but I'm always wary of merchandise.

I know this is a hard question I'm asking, but I'm trying to figure out where to begin.

Thoughts appreciated,
Dennis
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: newby - need shopping tips for 1893 hex barrel please.

Post by Ray Newman »

I think you're 'gonna hafta' pay big bucks for a hex (hexagon??) barreled Marlin. They are scarcer than hen's teeth.... :wink:
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Ray Newman wrote:I think you're 'gonna hafta' pay big bucks for a hex (hexagon??) barreled Marlin. They are scarcer than hen's teeth.... :wink:
He's right, you'll do a lot better if you would settle for a rifle with an Octagonal barrel and crescent or rifle buttplate instead of a "cupped" one.

In the meantime buy a copy of this book: http://www.amazon.com/Marlin-Firearms-H ... 0811708772
DennisT
Levergunner

Post by DennisT »

OK, 'ya got me. I used the wrong terms. I talk much better about No. 1 Enfields.... - I'm really new to Marlins.

Sure. Octagonal and crescent butt plate. Let's go with that.

I'm off looking for that book.

Dennis
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

DennisT,

A little pricey but here's a link to Wm. Brophy's book, Marlin Firearms: A History of the Guns and the Company That Made Them.

http://www.amazon.com/Marlin-Firearms-H ... 0811708772